By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Allen Dewire

Here is a list of all the postings Allen Dewire has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bang, Bang, I Shot You Down (SSGB17)
19/02/2017 18:49:17

Late Afternoon Good People,

Today is the last day of my mini vacation, so I thought I would bore enlighten you with an update. Yupper, another day playing with tiny stuff....

Wouter - Thank you my friend!!! I've never had so many O's in my life. Glad you like it so far....Prost!!!

Bones - .Wow, Thank you too Sir. It scared the crap out of me, but when I looked at the finish under the lamp, I couldn't believe it either....I know that feeling, as (hopefully) in March I'll go under the knife and then it's 6 weeks of recovery and mucho table time. Nothing serious though...My output last year was ZIP, Nada....Maybe I can improve my stats for 2017. Be good my man!

Steve - I guess the proof is in the pic and you're right. (See below).....About the paint....Well I had already shook it 3 times with my finger over the end. Before shooting it into my AB cup, I shook it again and must of had a senior moment!!!....Didn't care about my shirt, but the spots didn't come out of my jeans after I washed them. PO'd for sure! There was no alcohol involved in this incident...Honest Injun'....Thanks Bud.

Si - You need to cut your caffeine intake down a notch man, 2 L's and EN...(it really doesn't matter though) I just love to keep you on your toes my friend. Ok, the cable reels passed the test (below) and Thank you for the kind words...As far as the guy in the pic, you will have to talk to Mr. Race about that. He's too young to be my GDad anyway and please don't forget that there are products to remove that unwanted gray out there. Seen 'em on TV, I think......

General John - No Buddy, It's a training exercise going on here. Parades are not my thing in Moggellig. Dirt, mud, dust and sweat are the keywords...Oh and sorry John, I can't play in the hair color of the season game, not my thang...Just gonna sit back and wait for it to come...Naturally!!!...

Andy - And a big Thanks to you Sir, not only for your encouragement on my project, but for your hard work making it all happen on this GB. You are truly 'The Man'...Take care!

I finally added the piston arms (ok, actuator arms) back on the 88 and only need to touch them up with some steel colored paint. They still work and I hope they don't break again.....

image.jpg

Now for the Biggie.....sloshed a lot of black paint on the reels and I do have to say, they look the part. Thanks to you fine Gentlemen, I can sit back and enjoy them too.....

image.jpg

I got tired of seeing the MAG sitting on cement blocks so I added the wheels. I modified the front rims so wheels could steer a bit to the right. The really nice thing is that they ALL touch the ground. Surprised the hell out of me as I had no way to test fit them before the glue. Also fitted the motor side panels and the hood......

image.jpg

The other side...she's up in the air to let the glue dry fully and take some pics.....

image.jpg

What you see below (minus the bench seat) is all that's left over. The dash is started and I just need to (attempt) to paint some dials, then coat then with some Krystal Kleer for the glass effect. I spent quite a while cutting out the windshield panels and fitting them into the frame. Thank goodness for surgical scissors and a stead hand. I hope I can clean them up a little as the plastic had scratches in it. The outriggers for the sides, front and back, will be added last. The steering wheel is still drying too.

image.jpg

Almost at the finish line on this one...Next up is to finish the Kfz 4 and build the motocycle. Then comes that dreaded 'F' word into play. I have been fiddling with them too...

Have a wonderful Sunday evening and Thanks for stopping by!!!

Prost

Allen

Thread: How I paint leather SBS
18/02/2017 21:30:55

Afternoon John,

Fantastic stuff here Sir! You make it all so clear and easy. Definitely have to give it a try. Thank you so much for taking the time to show us mortal's how it's done. Stay warm!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Raining in Tunisia - ITALERI Kfz. 15 Funkwagen No6526
18/02/2017 20:42:56

Hey Steve,

Like Ahhh, super detailing there my man. I love the radios...They look they could almost work. That interior has that well lived in feeling too. It's too bad that there's no lettering on the tires as they look so real. Another top post and this oldie is coming together fantastic. Top job Funkmeister!!! Make that magic....

Prost

Allen

18/02/2017 20:07:11

Hey Steve,

Crossed posts buddy... Nah!!!, ain't me... I'm too ugly to look that good. I'm more Depp than gray!!! Guess I'll have to change my Avatar here shortly...Have a good one!

Prost

Allen

18/02/2017 19:57:45

Evening All,

As the vacation is drawing to a close, it was time to get cracking on the MAG. I also learned a few things today. Details will follow...

John - You're very welcome my friend, but as you will see later here, I should have taken more time on the winding. Ok, so who's the guy in the picture??? It certainly can't be me for a couple of reasons... 1. The table is far too clean and tidy to be mine, 2. I'm a long haired, hippie type from the 50's and (believe it or not) I hardly have any gray hair, 3. The glass of beer (or bottle) is missing and don't drink cola or whatever is in the glass. Cool pic though and thanks a lot buddy!!!

Peter - Thank you too Sir, but like I said to John, my mojo juice isn't in the picture. As you will see below, I could have done a better job on the reels. It's now too late....Have a great weekend!

Richard - Hey buddy, great to see you back with us! I hope all is well with you and life is going your way. You know you can follow along anytime Sir, no need to ask! I thought I saw that you are doing a kitty cat...I've been so busy with this project, I'm still trying to play catchup with all the fantastic builds going on at the moment. Ain't easy!!!!! Great to see your smiling face again.

After adding the laundry racks behind the luggage rack and some other tidbits, I got this hair-brained idea to paint this critter. I realized that it wasn't going to an easy task so I broke out the old masking tape and went to town covering what I thought needed it. Then I saw I had forgotten to add side panels and the reels. I let the glue dry for a while and thought about how to make 3 ml of feldgrau for the Hissy Stick. It had to be a 50 to 50 mix with thinner.

Breaking out the syringe, I sucked 1.5 ml paint and then 1.5 ml thinner into it. I figured I could shake it vigorously to mix the two. NOTE: Never forget to put a finger over the end of the syringe before you shake!!! Paint all over me and my kitchen. LOL!!! Anyway, filled the cup on my Hissy Stick and went at it....NOTE 2: don't Hissy Stick when it's almost dark and you don't have enough light (I don't)....Spray, run to light, check, run back, spray again, repeat...many times!!!!!!!!!

Here are some pics of the final result of this adventure. Sorry they're are not better, but it was dark when I took 'em.

image.jpg

Gotta love that grill......Bumper, Notek and headlights to add, along with the front stabilizer...............

image.jpg

The laundry racks and the playpen/storage rack. The mesh came out fantastic and I only had one clogged spot to clean on the whole shebang. With a coat of paint, the reels look rather shabby with the winding I did. Oh well, a lesson learned for the next time....With a coat of black, maybe they'll look better...........

image.jpg

The 88 going into action here. Enemy at...'who knows what o'clock'....Nine maybe.............

image.jpg

Full elevation, think they're coming in at ten o'clock......Ten thirty??????.........

image.jpg

Alright, the training exercise is over for today...Put the 88 back in the cradle and go get some chow...Good job men!!!

image.jpg

Well good people, there's still a bit to do and the MAG will be finished. Thanks for following the training exercise and have a wonderful Sunday. Time for a refreshing beverage......All C, C and abuse welcome!

Prost

Allen

Edited By Allen Dewire on 18/02/2017 20:00:07

17/02/2017 20:06:19

Good Evening All,

Yea, it's me again, trying to be a Moggelling Monster....But hey, I'm having so much fun, why not!!!

Jim - Thanks so much Sir!....Don't know about the 'clean' living, but I love this hobby to death. Poor Heinz on the MG, I'm still trying to sort an arm for him...No my friend, you're not thick at all. I didn't know what it was either at first. It's Tamiya Extra Thin glue, hence TET. Works like a dream and it held the mesh perfectly in place. Aerosan's rule!

So, now a little update from the evening session (feels like I'm playing snooker, afternoon session, evening session) and more was accomplished....

I brushed generous amounts of Mr Metal Primer on the reels, finished attaching the mesh, spent a lot of time going over the 88 to clean up some ragged edges and mold lines etc. and in an insane moment (while playing with the mesh), I had the hair-brained idea how to make tread for the tires. As you see below, a long piece of mesh makes the perfect tread pattern. You just need to glue at least 5 or 6 pieces on each tire!!! NOT....This is where the case of ASSS stopped.............

image.jpg

Regaining my sanity, I decided to finish painting the tires (without tread) and add the luggage rack to back of the MAG. The rack was very tedious, but in the end, I won the battle. I then spent a hour thinking about how I'm going to put this all together for the hissy stick and not knock half of the pieces off later. I think I have a plan......

image.jpg

Another tiny update for my tiny build. I wish you all a super weekend and lots of bench time. For me, it's off to the fridge....You know why!!!

Prost

Allen

17/02/2017 15:49:19

Ok John,

The reel winding with wire took........about 15 minutes per reel. I think it took more time finding the drilled hole with an awl, for the second wire than the winding itself. I only have a thick CA and it wouldn't work well. It would be a pain to apply and would probably clog up the mesh too. Looks like the TET is doing the job, so I'll go with that now.....Later

Prost

Allen

17/02/2017 14:28:27

Greetings and Salutations Everyone,

I wish to thank you all so much for the encouragement and kind words on this project. We are getting closer to the 'F' word. Yesterday was very busy with personal stuff, but today was more productive. Anyway,

Andy - No Sir, thanks to you and a few other Brailler's on here, you've given me that extra push to do it. The tiny parts are frustrating at times, but the fun never stops (the bad words either)!!!

Si - You are too kind my friend, thanks. To be honest, if I turn over another stone, I'm going to bury myself under all of 'em. Having a blast though!!!

M'Angelo - (AKA John), Thanks too Sir! I just hope I don't find any more parts that can be made to move. Maybe I should lock my drill bits away and toss the key...

Scottie - A hearty thank you too you to Sir. Blame it all on a case of the ASSS. Great to see those Friuls didn't put you in the rubber room buddy!

Nick - I think an 8/10 is more realistic Bro. I appreciate it so much. Love the Roden kit and the Ace isn't all that bad either. No vinyl tires on them...Hand painted and the rims afterwards. I really wanted to do the hubcaps in chrome, but it didn't fit into the '41 timeframe. LOL!!! Be good my man!

Jim - Thank you Sir, (but see above) and we'll have to talk about Goliath....Oh, and be careful which way you turn the blower chute when the wind is howling!!! Nothing better than a face full of snow, trust me......Take care frosty!

Peter - THANKS! I see your dictionary is running low on words too, like mine. Great to have you looking in my friend.

Steve - Yup buddy, we are trucking on and I haven't lost the beat yet. Mojo @ 1000 and a cold one only after I accomplish something on the builds. Thanks and the next cold one is for you!

So yesterday, between running errands and the Doc, I did manage to get a bit of table time. I attempted to wind my wire around the spools. No Go....Then I glued the side pieces on and after they dried, I made a second attempt using different wire (Friul wire was too thick). Two 9" pieces per spool. Wrapped the first and then searched for the whole and wound on the second piece. Below you will see the first try on the left and the 2 spools filled up on the right. Not perfect, but acceptable I think. I will coat them with Mr Metal Primer and paint them black.........Don't ask me how long it took...........

image.jpg

Today was finish painting the chassis day (no pic, too boring) and made a start on the mesh for the side panels. Tried TET as a test adhesive and have to wait till it dries to see if it holds the mesh material firmly in place. I then started the wonderful task of painting the tires around the rims (everybody's favorite). They came out good if I say so myself. No oopsies. I just hope it goes as well when I do the rims........

image.jpg

Well good people, it's back to the table to keep building. I think I might have to buy a new bottle of feldgrau as my 20 year old bottle of Tamiya is acting up a bit. I guess paint isn't like wine or whiskey and improves with age. Hmmm...

Hopefully more to come later...Thanks for looking in!!!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Revell PzKpfw III L...(SSGB17)
15/02/2017 22:51:27

Come on Mr. Benson,

You're putting us all to shame here...Bang up stuff Si, really nice. Sorry I didn't warn you about removing the lips on the fenders though...My mistake! Your scratchery is fantastic on the tools and the intakes. Keep it coming my friend, as this is going to be great!!!

Prost

Allen

Thread: " Dusty Bin " ( GB SSGB17 ) JR .
15/02/2017 22:41:04

Hey John,

I'm with the gang here buddy. You nailed this puppy to a 'T'!!! I am stealing all your tips and tricks for the fantastic dio work for mine. This really came out excellent and you should be so proud. I think you should move on to something in...maybe, 1/144 for your next build...and then on to 1/285 like Andrew!!!...Ok, you can put away the gun now....I was only kidding....

Give the peepers a rest and enjoy yourself with something a bit larger. As for the Bin Sir...'You Da Man'

Prost

Allen

PS, it still remind me of a Porta Pottie......LOL!

Thread: For the Motherland!
15/02/2017 22:22:45

Evening Bones,

Looks like I'm stuck in the cheap seats again. Late as usual, but all eyes front and center. Don't play the game, but this is one interesting vehicle and that camo scheme looks challenging enough. Too bad you didn't save all those interior parts for later use. You coulda made a neat dio with the motor being pulled out for repair or something.

Can't wait to see where this is going and I'll try to pay more attention in the future. Drive on Sir!!!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Academy 1/144 Tu-22M-2 BACKFIRE B (SSGB17)
15/02/2017 21:52:22

Evening Andy,

I need to know what kind of Mojo juice you have in the fridge Sir! You sure are one busy beaver with all the things you have on the go...Respect!!!

Happy to see that the masking worked out well. Masking always scares the Jeepers out me. The white has really turned out tops. Bet you're happy. Keep on keeping on!!!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Shenanigans16: Tamiya's Old Matilda II
15/02/2017 21:38:47

Evening Peter,

Normally I'm a man of many words, but after following you works for so long, I'm almost speechless...it just gets better and better with every project. Sorry, but my Funk and Wagnall's has run out of superlatives to use. The figs are superb and the sleeping one (didn't wanna say dead) is even more superb!!!....

Prost

Allen

Thread: So where do you think you're going to put that then?
15/02/2017 21:17:43

Afternoon John,

Sorry I'm late to the party as usual. I'm still marveling over how you formed the face of the Boat Builder bust. That picture just won't leave my head.

So now you're off and running with an HD '45 motocycle. Another fantastic work in the making for sure. The motor is a mini work of art and the colors are spot on...Your updates are a lot easier on the eyes after working all day on my Braille stuff. Thanks for that. Do you have an idea for a figure yet???

Prost

Allen

Thread: Me. and my shadow.....(SSGB17)
15/02/2017 21:01:47

Yo Crazy Man,

Now here's another reason for your name Nick. Outrageous idea you've laid out my man. Love it to death!!! If anybody can pull it off, it's gotta be you......

You know I'm in for run...Do your magic bro!!!

Prost

Allen

15/02/2017 20:53:53

Good Evening Folks,

Just a bit to report on tonight. This mini vacation is bearing some fruit on the project and it's only Wednesday. So,

Jim - Yes Sir, the free time is great and I can feel your pain. Must be hell shoveling all that snow you got!!! That sight was the scariest part so far. The only way you could pick it up was to use a blade and then hope to get the tweezers on it, before it flew away. The sanding sheets are tough as nails, but have no markings to say what grit they are. Thanks for checking in and stay warm buddy!!!

The sun has been out for the last few days and table time has been great. Heinz just had to try out the twin MGs, not remembering he only has one arm. Boy was he so excited! Oh, and the sight is still intact too. A miracle..........

image.jpg

The tiny tray is also still there....I guess it was used for holding your coffee cup or something, in the heat of combat. I don't know for sure........Seems kinda far away though................

image.jpg

I finished up the rest of the 88 with the hand wheels and the seat for the controller dude. The hand wheel seat will be attached when I finish surgery on the figure. I also fixed the broken piston rod and tomorrow I can throw it all back together and see how it looks..........

image.jpg

I've cleaned up the rest of the parts from the sprues. Front fenders, radiator grill, hood side panels, lights, mirrors etc. and the front bumper (yup, broke one of the marker poles off, but fixed it). The outrigger arms were just calling out to be moveable, so I carefully drilled them and will later pin them so they can swing in and out.........

image.jpg

The next item up is filling the cable reels for comm's with the Kommandogeraete and generator. Drilled a hole in each spool and will wind then full with wire. Friul gives you miles of the stuff...You just have to burn it over a flame to make it more pliable. Then it's scratching a couple of connectors for the ends..........

image.jpg

Looking at the size of this beast, it seems the hairy stick isn't going to do the job very well. I guess the Hissy stick is the only option to coat it. It might also be better for the 88 too. Have to see.....

Another tiny and thanks for looking. C, C and Abuse welcome. Have a great one!!!

Prost

Allen

13/02/2017 22:55:27

Guten Abend Alle,

Bench (table) time a go-go today! Things are looking up, I must say, but first......

Wouter - Thanks buddy, I thought I was the only one who couldn't do it. (See below) The tiny parts on this kit are attached with mahoosive sprue points. Careful work with a new blade tip and you can rescue them and still keep most of the detail. A Nut, I've been this way since 1972 and too old to change my brother!!!....(first case of ASSS)

Fernando - I do appreciate the good word Sir. I still got a long way to go on it though. Slowly it is coming together and hope there is not a lot of sanding left to do. Take care!

Peter - You are much too kind my friend. I would say, 'Precious and Tiny' to boot. I'm still marveling over the 231 and you go and do a Matilda. You just don't give an old guy a chance, do ya!!! Thanks...

Joe - Thank you too Sir. If the Mojo gets any higher, I'll have to drink more beer I guess. Seriously though, the detailing is a disease you catch from this site! It has no cure and you'll find it's so much fun. Have a good one.

Si - I too, have to say that my progress is scaring me. When I put the two together, I couldn't believe the size difference either. I do hope the paint will hide some of the defects I've fixed/created on the 4. Thanks so much for the vote of confidence. (If I don't muff it up)

Jim - Thanks for the tip on the sanding sticks. Unfortunately, I'm very behind the times in that area of the hobby. I guess you could say I'm old school as seen below. I will definitely give those a try Sir!!!

For Wouter and Jim....This is what I have for my sanding chores. I think they came from Testors and are over 25 years old. Three grits and still work till this day. Think it's time to get up to date.....

image.jpg

Another good day at the table and got closer to finishing the Kfz. 4. There is only a couple of parts to add (a scratch mirror, the small spot light, spare tire and of course the MGs) and then a coat of Feldgrau on her......

image.jpg

I turned the front wheels to give her a little character and and after they dried (with a lot of fiddling and tweaking), only three wheels touched the ground anyway!....Not a bad thing really, considering the wacky axles to begin with. Ok, I know about the over sized Notek lamp and the holes in the headlights too. What's a man to do.......Fix the headlights as it's too late for the Notek. Oh well.............

image.jpg

Now this side doesn't look so bad...I even made a feeble attempt to drill out the exhaust pipe. Drill bits do not come small enough to do the job! But now..........

image.jpg

The 'Piece de Resistance', as the French would say....The MG's have a sighting devise for those low flyers!!! A real pain in the rump, but it worked out in the end. Scratched sprue mount with the etch tray and gun sight. Never worked with etch so small and it's probably just waiting for me to ping it off with the sausage fingers.......I was so psyched, I had to grab a cold one and celebrate.......(Better pics later).........

image.jpg

So, another tiny update for my tiny build comes to a close. I can't thank you all enough for the comments and kind words. It makes the Mojo fly and the mini vacation also helps too. More to come, for sure...Till tomorrow!

Prost

Allen

Thread: 2017 Small Scale Group Build (SSGB17)
13/02/2017 19:04:13

Evening Fellow GBer's,

Due to brain cramps, I always forget to post some progress here on the main blog, and not just on my own blog. I find it astonishing that there are so many fantastic SSGB projects going on and/or finished. Huge KUDOS to all you fine Moggellers out there!!!!!!

Well here's a little update on my progress with the VOMAG. The Roden kit is fun to build and the fit is good.a minimum clean up required and this is where we were at.....

image.jpg

After a second look, the MAG seemed a little nekkid all by itself. I had to add some backup and this is what came to mind. AA support against fighters and figgies too.....Hey, everybody needs a motorcycle to round it out, or???.......

image.jpg

The Kfz. 4 was started and looks like go kart next to the VOMAG and gives you an idea just how big the MAG was!!!......

image.jpg

Here you see the Kfz. 4 as it stands today. A fiddly little bugger to build, but patience and cold ones got me through it. I opened one door to give it some life as well as turning the front wheels

image.jpg

Another pic and as you can see the detail is not the best, but passable...With a coat of paint on her she might look a bit better. Still working on the twin MG 34 mount and hope to have the Kfz. 4 finished tomorrow. Then it's back to finish MAG during the rest of the week.....

image.jpg

A tiny update for a tiny build. Progress is being made everyday, but I always forget to post here. Thanks for looking and all C, C and Abuse is cheerfully accepted!!!

Prost

Allen

12/02/2017 18:44:21

Good Evening Folks,

Greetings from a drab and dreary Bamberg...Luckily no snow or rain, just cold and blah......

Wouter - Thank you for the kind words my friend. This Braille scale stuff is rather addicting, but just a bit too tiny. Can't wait to get back to 1/35th. Take care and best wishes on the family!

John - It coulda been 'Good Golly, Miss Molly'.....And you know we are all mad. Crazy thing is, I sit at the bench for hours (last two days) and haven't even yawned, let alone fall into lala land... Thanks for the good word buddy! Oh, and an update for you too....

Most of yesterday was spent cleaning up parts and using the hairy stick to paint the chassis and some of the interior, so I could add more parts. Today was fixing gaps and holes with TET and sprue bits and painting tires. I also added the MG catch net and affixed the ammo boxes. I spent about an hour making them smaller so they would fit in their places. Sorry the photo isn't better.....

image.jpg

Next up was the rear end...added the tow hooks and the gas filler tube and guard that protects it. Still work to do on the boxes hanging on the side so they will sit flush on the body. Might go the sprue route again as my sanding skills are...Ummm, they suck!!!..........

image.jpg

On to the front end...I spent at least an hour cleaning up the Notek light and another hour on the headlights. The head lights have no detail at all and for the lenses. Gotta come up with something. I attempted to add the Notek and it looks like more work on it will be needed...Typical Ace molding, but it is beginning to look like a Kfz. 4............

image.jpg

And to give you an idea of the how the quality of the two kits compare, have a look below. You can also get an idea just how big the MAG was.....

image.jpg

Tiny for tiny....thanks for looking and have a good one. C, C and Abuse welcome!

Prost 

Allen

Edited By Allen Dewire on 12/02/2017 18:46:22

Thread: Revell PzKpfw III L...(SSGB17)
11/02/2017 08:23:57

Hi Si,

Or is that Sci Fi...Whatever! I'm in too buddy, but have to agree with Andy. Seems like you have an overdose of Mojo here. You're off to a great start too. I do have a question though regarding the skill level...Isn't 4 just a couple of points too much for you???.....Opps, I guess the Rowdies have arrived. Down front and all eyes Sir.

Prost

Allen

PS, Sorry, I couldn't resist........

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ Feb 2017
Kingkit
Parabellum
HLJ Late Dec
Casemate
Howmans Books 2017
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest