By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Allen Dewire

Here is a list of all the postings Allen Dewire has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bang, Bang, I Shot You Down (SSGB17)
22/01/2017 17:03:50

Greetings Fellow Plastic Lovers,

As promised, a tiny update on the progress of this critter. But first,

A pic of the actual beast...It gives you an idea how wild the it was. Note the cable reels and the 4 out-rigger arms (1 each front and rear and 1 each on the sides). You can also see a bunch of 88 rounds in their racks. No, I'm not going to do that either.....Picture for Discussion Only. Nb.

image.jpg

Scottie, Mick, Jim, Peter, Si, Steve and Jim B. - Thank you all so much for your interest and normally I would answer you all individually. Please don't think I am being rude, but today is rather hectic and tomorrow is back to work. I do appreciate the support and it keeps the mojo flying. Thanks again Gentlemen!!!

Today was interior day and, well, there isn't a lot really...The gas pedal is molded in, so all you have to add is the brake and clutch pedal, the park brake handle and see how the steering column fits. The column is a bit too long and needs to be shortened or the steering wheel will almost reach the back of the seat....Next up was attaching the side panels and aligning them with the firewall. Once again, it fit like a charm....I'm impressed!!!

image.jpg

A pic of the dash shows that you can try to paint the dials or at least make a good attempt....image.jpg

The firewall itself is pretty good detailed with brake cylinder, horn, regulator and another do-hickey that's needed....

image.jpg

This is where she is so far. I have cleaned up a lot of other parts to assemble too, but It has come to the point where I will have to start painting things before I can go further.....

image.jpg

Short and sweet and I gotta go. I hope to play catchup with all your great builds a bit later. Thanks again!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Shenanigans 14: Italeri 1/35 Tiger 1
21/01/2017 18:20:52

Evening Peter,

Once again, I finally show up and Good Golly, Miss Molly, you're done! And what a done you've made here Sir. I honestly can't add anything that has not already been said. Top work, great finish and a dio to boot. Drive on model master, but please give an old guy a chance to keep up with your excellent work my friend.

Prost

Allen

Thread: The Italian Job - Tamiya M40/75-18 Semovente
21/01/2017 17:55:38

Hey Steve,

Still in the shadows, but watching with wide eyes open! Man, you sure have done a Fantubious job overall. Love the stowage and all the little tidbits too. This baby looks like it's all revved up and ready to rumble.

Gotta question though, after shooting the grey and doing the shadowing, how did you manage to keep all the rivets white???????? Or is it just an obstacle illusion??? Ok, optical, for all you language majors.....Really fine work Sir!!!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Bang, Bang, I Shot You Down (SSGB17)
21/01/2017 17:41:46

Afternoon VOMAG Fans,

Terrible week...Too much real life and no table time...But,

Si - Yes Sir, it's time to mix up a batch of putty and Contacta and fill them in. Tried stretched sprue, but it didn't do the trick. Thanks buddy.

Paul - Thanks my friend, I've been searching high and low for Preiser figs and have only found a few sets. None that I can use though. Resin is too expensive and I really don't want to use soft plastic figs either. I'm gonna go with some Zvezda and maybe a few few Caesar figs instead. Take care.

John - Hey Sir, I have to say this 1/72 scale stuff isn't as bad as I thought, size wise. I'm actually having a blast building this thang. Clutch and brake pedals and some parts for the 88 could overload the nerves though! The Tron is also almost finished. Some more weathering and the tracks to glue on, then a done deal! Thanks and be good.

Jim - I'll mix up some putty and Contacta to correct the tires. I may (said may) carve a bit of tread pattern in them too. As for resin replacements, I haven't looked for any and the price would probably be more than I could afford. Thanks for looking in my friend. Aerosan's rule, Grasshopper! (Or should that be young Jedi)

I got a bit done today...Unbelievable!!! I added the main support frame for the 88 to the chassis and began cleaning up the rear body parts....

image.jpg

Then I cleaned up the main floor thing and added the 2 side panels that hold the ammo. The fit was very good and very little clean-up was needed. After gluing them in place, I used the top piece to keep them at the correct angle. The top deck was rather warped, but as you can see in the pic below, I used some brute force of the fingers to straighten it out. (The white marks) The back of the plate will sit correctly once it is glued in place too....

image.jpg

After that dried a while, I did a test fit to the frame to see if everything sat right. Amazingly, it did!.......

image.jpg

Then I test fitted the back plate. The plate only needed a bit of trimming to get it to fit. The 4 holes are for the two cable reels that held the cables that ran to the Kommandogeraete. Just like a normal Flak 88, the Kommandogeraete tracked the in-coming aircraft and sent the co-ordinates to the gun, so the gunner could sight the 88......

image.jpg

A test fit of the motor was my next step to make sure it fit up against the floor. I had to do a tiny bit of trimming on the floor to allow the motor to sit in it's motor mounts. I must admit that the kit has an overall good fit. A lot better than I had thought.....

image.jpg

I couldn't resist dry-fitting one of the side panels to see how it looked. I thought about making them movable, but there is enough of this fine scratchery disease going on here and I don't want to be infected. LOL!!! Plus, I don't have a drill bit that long and there just isn't enough room to be effective in this endeavor. (Ok, I'm chicken)......

image.jpg

Just a tiny update for a tiny kit....I am loving this tiny stuff too! (I'm insane) Thanks again for looking and more to follow tomorrow. Enjoy your evening and all C, C and abuse welcome...

Prost

Allen

15/01/2017 21:28:16

Good Evening Good People Around The World,

Just a tiny update on the VOMAG critter...Yea, still playing with the Nag, I'm afraid. Anyway......

Marcello - Thanks Sir...I hope you find it as interesting as I do. It is a pretty wild thing.

John - Anything in this scale is tiny and hence, man can only do tiny updates buddy. Thanks!

Jim - You know you shouldn't post Nancy's pic here. You might get Steve too excited Sir. Glad to have you along!

Tim - So sorry Sir, I didn't know that when I made my comment. The only Dukes I know are Duke Ellington and John Wayne. I can't really say that they're boots we're made for walking though....

Ron - It's great to have you along Sir. If anyone could scratch this beast, it would be you. I am taking many photos and will be putting them in a separate album shortly (VOMAG). I will be using a 1/35 scale rule as a guide. I don't know if this will help or be a hinderance. The biggest problem is my iPad doesn't take the best pictures and we haven't had sunshine since, forever...See below...

Andy -Nice to see your smiling face to my friend. Thanks to Paul, you could add one to the stash...You just need to dig real deep in the old wallet to make that dream come true. I guess 1/72 is the way to go here.....

Paul - Thank you for the link. The kits (or built) are really nice and you have some options too. The bad news is just the sticker shock on 'em. Do you how good the resin casting is on them? From the pics, they look really good...

Well, I finished building the motor (all 11 pieces of it). It just needs the the exhaust header and coolant pipe that goes to the radiator added when we get that far. The ruler is for Ron and shows the measurements in 1/35 scale...

image.jpg

A side view...The motor with tranny is 3 ft. And 11 inches long in 1/35. Not bad for a 14.3 cubic, 6 cyl. diesel. Details aren't that bad either...

image.jpg

You have to chop off a piece of the frame for this version. The longer frame is for Roden's bus kit based on the same chassis. Built up the front axle and then moved on to the rear axles. A very interesting setup here as there is a driveshaft between the two differentials, but not in the diffs themselves. I wonder if the diffs were driven by a chain or a gear system....The rear double springs are not glued to the chassis. They rock back and forth so I can keep all the wheels level and hopefully, all on the ground...

image.jpg

As you can see below, I think it's time to get some new Dunlops on the beast. No tread on the tires at all. Dirt and mud rule. After trying every trick in the book, You can't get the tires to join without the gap. I'm going to have to bust out the putty on these to close 'em up....

image.jpg

The sidewall detail is good, but if you look at the front tire on the left, you'll see what appears to be release agent or something molded in with the plastic. Also there are a few lines running towards the rim too. Should be ok though. I am going to wait until I paint them as the tires appear to be a bit too small in circumference. Might just be me....

image.jpg

That's all for today. Thanks for looking and have a good week. All comments and abuse welcome as usual!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Airfix 1/76 Pz IV F1/F2 (SSGB17)
15/01/2017 18:32:34

Evening Andy,

What a flashback from many years ago...When this kit first came out, I ordered 4 of them. They were a whopping $1.25 each. I also ordered 2 Airmodel vacu conversions to build the Jagdpanzer IV/70 and sheet styrene. I built one OOB, but wanted it to be a G. (Muzzle brake prob) I then built one using the Airmodel conversion and hacked off the muzzle brake from the kit. Came out pretty cool too.

The third one was going to be a Hummel.The Squadron, the hobby shop catalog, had plans on doing the conversion, hence the sheet styrene. This too came out really well, although I never did finish it. I used the 88 from Airfix for the gun. Did a few mods and it looked the part.....Don't know what ever happened to the fourth one though....It was 1972!

Sorry to ramble on, but this kit just brings back so many good memories....If I ever can extract the pics from my old laptop, I'll post them up. Man, those were the days!!! Oh, and I painted the rubber on the return rollers too.......

Great choice for a build Andy and a great start too. Enjoy!!!!

Prost

Allen

Thread: MiG-15bis (SSGB17)
15/01/2017 17:37:20

Evening Mick,

Playing catch-up too and really like what you are doing with this little thang. Like you, I'm an armor man, but you seem to be right at home building this wingy thing. Can't wait to see how you finish her...

Prost

Allen

Thread: Soviet Aerosan NKL-16/41 (SSGB17)
15/01/2017 17:19:13

Hey Jim,

Just gonna say 'WOW' and leave it at that. You are a very brave man Sir!!! (Or totally insane)

Prost

Allen

Thread: Running with the Devil (SSGB17)
15/01/2017 17:11:03

We All Live In A Yellow Submarine, Yellow Submarine, Yellow Submarine, We All Live.............

Oh, Sorry Andy, musta lost my head there for a moment. This U-boot looks really cool and an interior too. At 1/125 it shouldn't be hard for a man with your skills buddy. I'm sure it'll be a snap!!! How many optivisor's do you have???

Ummm, does it come with figs too??? If so, how in the hell are you going to paint them??? Myself, that would make me looney for sure...especially doing the eyes!

Sitting down front with binocs at the ready Sir, watching the magic happen...

Prost

Allen

Thread: 2017 Small Scale Group Build (SSGB17)
15/01/2017 16:52:27

Evening Fellow GBers,

I always seem to forget to posts updates here, but this time I remembered...

I haven't gotten too far on the VOMAG as I'm still finishing the Nag. I managed to build the motor, even though it won't be seen. Disregard the tech stuff in the pic as It's for Ron. It's a big six diesel with a 150 HP.......

image.jpg

I moved on to the frame...You have to nip off the tailpiece as it's for their kit of the bus (which is longer)...Added a couple of cross members to the front and assembled the front suspension. I moved on to the rear, built the diffs and added the springs and drive shaft between them. A bit tricky to do and I hope it is all aligned (so all six wheels touch the ground).....

image.jpg

Started assembling the wheels and no matter how much you trim, nip, shave or sand, you still have a gap to fill. And if you notice, a total lack of tread pattern.....

image.jpg

As I was looking at the wheels, it appears,the tires are a tad too small in diameter to the real vehicle. Maybe it's just an optical illusion. I have to wait till they're painted up and have another look see.....

image.jpg

Just a tiny update for a tiny kit...Thanks for looking and have a great Sunday.

This GB is fantastic with so many different things being built and/or even finished! If I haven't commented on your build, I do apologize. There is just so much going on and so little time to keep up with all of your fine work.

Prost

Allen

Thread: SSGB17 BTR 3E1 Ukrainian Personnel carrier
15/01/2017 10:13:00

Morning Marcello,

I can understand your feelings about this. It is so frustrating when the parts don't fit worth a darn. Good to hear you didn't bin it. Sometimes a few days break is best and let's you get a new focus on things.

The idea from John to make it a wreck is great. The separate tires would make the burnt out look easier too. Wish you all the best Sir!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Biber Midget Sub & Support Trailer
15/01/2017 10:01:08

Hi Ron,

There doesn't seem to be anything you can't do. The canvas fix you used is pure genius and without losing any detail of the canvas. The rear window is also tops. This is turning into another masterpiece Sir. Loving it!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Bf-109G-6 1/144 scratch #4 (JB SSGB17)
15/01/2017 09:49:06

Hey Jim,

Done already!!! I bet you're having a Mojo peak here Sir. The 109 is superb and I can't believe you put such a fantastic finish on her. Are the markings 1/144 decals or did you make them yourself? Love that base too! Maybe a little pilot fig standing next to her?

Prost

Allen

Thread: Zvezda T90 1/72 (SSGB17)
15/01/2017 09:34:12

Morning Si,

I think it IS 1/35 scale and you're just pulling our leg. Come on, fess up Mr. Benson!!! Seriously though, the detail in this kit is really top notch for such a small kit. The tracks look excellent too Sir.

I think we should put it up to a vote on which camo scheme goes on her. What do you think guys??? All those in favor of digital, place your vote here........

Oh, sorry Si, I didn't mean to make waves....After all, this is a democracy and we want to see your painting talents expand into the unknown...(insert Twilight Zone music here)

Prost

Allen

Thread: Albatros D V by Eduard in 1/72nd (SSGB17)
15/01/2017 09:20:47

Morning John,

I have to apologize for not commenting sooner. There is so much going on in the SSGB, I can't keep up my friend. It looks like you are having ball though. The tiny wingy things seem to suit you to a T.

It seems you have Tony excited too, as he posted his post 3 times!!! I am interested to see how you do the rigging on such a tiny thang. Never built a bi-plane myself, so I'll be all eyes. Hope all is well and drive on bro, this Alb is just so tiny........

Prost

Allen

Thread: Airfix 1/76th Mk I Female (SSGB17)
15/01/2017 09:09:57

Morning Andy,

Great to see you sorted the color and she sure does look good Sir. Absolute top finish! Are you planning a little dio for her? If not, what's next then.....

Prost

Allen

Thread: Zis-5 Aug 2cm Flak 30 LKW SSGB 17
15/01/2017 09:05:33

Morn Crazy Man,

Damn Nick, this is really sweet and right up your alley!!! Sorry I missed this so far, but I'm here to stay now. I love your groundwork and am probably going to nip all you ideas to make mine. The figs will definitely set it off too!

Glad to hear the V is heading for the moon. There ain't no stopping you now Bro! Have a good one!

Prost

Allen

Thread: SSGB17 Braille Scale {ST}
15/01/2017 08:59:00

Morning Simon,

Yup, it's my yearly check-in on your fantastic scratchery work.....And once more, you never fail to disappoint. All that detail makes such a difference. I still don't know how you do it Sir........But it's fantastic!!!

Prost

Allen

Thread: ME-262 Scratch Build 1/100 #5 (JB SSGB17)
15/01/2017 08:51:42

Hi Jim,

Been absent a few days and WOW, the mojo must be soaring high Sir. This looks like it should be a lot easier to make with the basic framework. I'll definitely be watching this one come together. Have at it!

Prost

Allen

Thread: Its his birthday Sunday
15/01/2017 08:22:38

Morning John,

Just want to say........Happy Birthday, my Friend!!!!!!!!!! Today is your day and I hope you enjoy it the way you want to...Age is a matter of mind, you don't mind and it don't matter!

Now, out the front door, around back and into the cave and have a little fun, Bob the Baumeister...We salute you and wish you many more!

Prost

Allen

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
Casemate
Hobbylink November 2
HLJ Late Dec
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Howmans Books 2017
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest