By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Day 1

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Day 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 200 Mitches Border Regtiment Bust
22/01/2017 21:53:12

Thanks Richard

At least that's the nasty bit out of the way....

Peter.

22/01/2017 21:25:48

Jim, John and Andy

Many thanks. I've followed Craig Spencer's box art for this one and it's a really tough act to follow. However, that and the thread he did on the bust has really helped me, even though I used a different technique for the camo in the end.

John - thanks re Oakwood link. I'll check it out.

Peter.

22/01/2017 18:10:37

Hi

Yes, I will darken the strap - it dried much lighter than I thought it would.

Peter.

22/01/2017 16:38:34

Here's the result of today's efforts:

010.jpg

I decided to have a go at the torso first, as it was the part I was most anxious about.

I tried Craig's method of painting in the base, then washing in the camo, but I couldn't make it work, so it was down to painting all of the camo as a base, then shading and highlighting each colour in turn. This was quite a laborious process, but Denison is easier to do that way than most German camo patterns. I've given it a coat of Daler matt varnish, which is still drying in a couple of places.

It will still need some tidying up, but I think it's basically there. Next the fun part - the head.

Peter.

Thread: ME-262 Scratch Build 1/100 #5 (JB SSGB17)
22/01/2017 08:57:33

Hi Jim

More superb work, and interesting what you say about feeling the obligation to improve on your first effort with the canopy. I also find that with painting - not realising that you've probably explored all the options already, and that messing around with it won't necessarily improve things.

And, by the way, Ithink it's a very 'good job'.

Peter.

Thread: Soviet Aerosan NKL-16/41 (SSGB17)
21/01/2017 21:17:25

Great work on the springs Jim, and as Si says, an 'excellent' from Simon T is something to cherishwink.

Peter.

Thread: Shenanigans 14: Italeri 1/35 Tiger 1
21/01/2017 20:31:35

Thanks Si

I don't think I'm good enough for box art, but thank you.

Thanks also for reminding me of the Miniart pictures. - they invite people to send in photos of their finished builds, and I did so with their (terrible) gladiator figure. I'd deleted the original file, so it's good to have a reminder of it.

Peter.

21/01/2017 18:37:03

Hey Allen - it took a week you know, which is a long time for me. Unfortunately, I get a bit bored and disenchanted with a build if I spend too long on it - always itching to get on to the next thing. It's a disease.

Peter.

Thread: Bang, Bang, I Shot You Down (SSGB17)
21/01/2017 18:34:18

Looking very smart indeed Allen, and dare I say it?, bigger than 1/76.

Carry on!

Peter.

21/01/2017 18:13:19

Mick - Lots to learn for me as I go along. I'm going to try Craig's technique for the camo, which is to put the pattern in with thinned washes over a pre-shaded base. I'm not that fond of washes, so we'll see.

Jim - Yes, it will have to be elevated on a rod, but I prefer simpler bases myself. Bits of wood and stone sometimes remind me of things you see in seaside souvenir shops.

Peter.

Edited By Peter Day 1 on 21/01/2017 18:16:11

Thread: 1:35 Panzer 2 and base
21/01/2017 17:42:51

Stunning work Jon. That's the way to do it!

Peter.

Thread: The Italian Job - Tamiya M40/75-18 Semovente
21/01/2017 17:40:50

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

Peter.

21/01/2017 17:39:13

Thanks Steve

Not feeling too bad thanks. I'm quite scared of this one!

Peter.

21/01/2017 17:37:11

Steve - many thanks. I suppose I can strive o reach your leveldont know.

Simon - thanks also. I always think they look quite dirty until I see other people's work.

Peter.

21/01/2017 13:23:06

Hi

It's now cleaned up and ready for painting:

002.jpg003.jpg

The torso was reasonably clean, but the left arm was in a bit of a mess after removal of the casting block - quite a lot of sanding and re-carving required. The strap where it crosses to the ammo pouch was cast with a solid block of resin behind it, so I decided to remove the lot and replace the strap with CA-soaked paper. I've put it on a temporary mount for painting.

The band around the helmet was of an uneven width, so again, I sanded it down and replaced it with glue-soaked paper. I'll need to replace a couple of rivets, but I'll do that at the painting stage.

So that's it for today, mojo exhausted, and back to bed with a case of man 'flu.

Peter.

21/01/2017 11:54:00

Hi Jim

Busy cleaning up - quite a bit of filling to do and a few replacement parts to make, though nothing too difficult.

Peter.

21/01/2017 11:52:23

Very many thanks Mike.

Peter.

21/01/2017 08:12:50

I must admit that I've been avoiding this one, but now is the time to bite the bullet:

447444.jpg001.jpg

This was the bust sent to me by Jay, and is by Maurice Corry for Mitches Military Models.

The box art is by Craig Spencer (his pack shot above), who ran a thread on it here on Mil Mod, and who's painting advice I will follow closely, particularly for the Denison. I have painted Denison in 120mm, but this will be a whole different ball game.

There's quite a lot of construction and clean-up required, but this is a lovely crisp casting and should be fun (!) to do. Again, may be famous last words.....

Peter.

21/01/2017 08:03:51

Cheers Wouter - at least I finished it!

Peter.

21/01/2017 03:16:17

Cheers Jim

There are things that could have been worked on a bit more, but overall I'm satisfied with the way it turned out. I can't wait to do more armour, but in the meantime, some more figure re-cycling projects.

Peter.

Edited By Peter Day 1 on 21/01/2017 03:20:10

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
Casemate
Hobbylink November 2
HLJ Late Dec
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Howmans Books 2017
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest