By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Low 3

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Low 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: On Track - 24th February
22/02/2018 23:11:46
Hi Paul I'll try and find you on Saturday and say hello, have a safe journey.
Pete L 👍
22/02/2018 21:58:59

Hi has anyone made plans to meet up for quick chat on Saturday yes/no.

Pete L

Thread: Revell Harbour Tug Boat
22/02/2018 21:20:55

Hi Jim this is coming together nicely and is at that very interesting stage "the rust" no pressure mate and good luck with it , I haven't started mine yet face 11.

Pete L

Thread: Zvezda 1/35 Soviet T-35 Multi Turret Heavy
22/02/2018 21:10:10

Hi Dave this is certainly a big beast, how long is it, good luck with the build.

Pete L

Thread: M26 Dragon wagon {PS}
22/02/2018 20:30:10

Hi Scottie

I have to agree with Jim it's getting very hard but this exceptional work, just keep it going 👏👏👏

Pete L

Thread: WW1 Mk 1 "Tadpole" (PL)
22/02/2018 17:19:06

Hi got abit more done Chas came up with some ideas that he had used in the same model and here this my version.

Filled in the space between the base plate for the mortar and andded a wooden floor for the crew.

and added a back plate in order that neither the crew nor ammo would fall off.

Added 2x support rails, rivets plus two I had missed.

Into the spares box and found some old truck seats cut to size and fitted a foil as a band .

Test fit thumbs up

Got the hairy stick out Its the fisrt time I've paint a whole vehicle using a synthetic brush thought I would give it at lest one go.

Thank you for stopping by much appreciated

Pete L

22/02/2018 16:33:46

MikeC ~thank you very much I like the basic models you can do as little or as much mortification work as you like.

John ~ I thick it's good to know what those brave boys went throug

Related image

Pete L

22/02/2018 16:19:16
Posted by Chas Kenny on 22/02/2018 08:24:29:

Pete,

Alas, I don't have any photo's. However, feel free to make use of my ideas.

Chas

Hi Chas shame about pic's but I'm going to use one of your ideas so thank you for sharing.

Pete L thumbs up

21/02/2018 22:20:07

Part 2

Realising they had little chance of survival if they stayed inside, the men managed to make their escape by crawling through the mud one-by-one to make it back to their own lines.

A report on the battle from the Nottingham Evening Post in January 1918 said: 'For three days and nights, Captain Richardson along with another officer and the crew, continued to hold the enemy at bay.

'They were heavily sniped, and the Germans actually got on top of the tank, but could not get inside, nor did the bringing up of a machine gun subdue the defenders, one of whom was killed and all the rest wounded.'

Debra Chatfield, a family historian from findmypast.co.uk said: “At this point in the First World War, tank technology and warfare was incredibly new.

'Captain Richardson and Second Lieutenant Hill led a charge of eight tanks and theirs was the only one that survived attack by German artillery.

'It is astonishing that they managed to survive the initial attack, let alone 72 hours of attacks from German troops, especially when you consider that they only had basic weapons to defend themselves.

'The tank crew became the most decorated of the whole First World War, and it would seem, rightly so.

The Fray Bentos crew was awarded two Military Crosses, two Distinguished Conduct Medals, and four Military Medals – the most awarded to one tank crew during any action of the war.

Captain Richardson and Second Lieutenant George Hill were both awarded the Military Cross for their role in leading the defence of the tank and for bringing most of their crew back safely.

Pete L

21/02/2018 22:17:35

Incredible bravery of WWI tank crew who survived 72 hours being bombarded by both Germans and their own side

Trapped in their overturned tank, just metres from the German trenches, Captain Donald Richardson and his crew already faced an impossible situation.

But, after three days of attack from their enemies, the brave men in charge of the Mark IV tank were plunged into even greater danger when their British allies started bombarding them as well, to destroy the tank before the Germans could get it.

Astonishingly, though, all but one of the soldiers survived the impossible odds, armed with just pistols and a single rifle, managing to escape the death trap to become the First World War's most decorated tank crew.

War machine: The crew was stuck inside the early tanks, which helped turn the tide of the First World War by smashing through enemy fortifications (file photo)

They were able to uncover Captain Donald Richardson, Second Lieutenant George Hill and the rest of their crew had rushed towards the enemy lines when their tank got stuck in a bomb crater and fell on its side.

The fall rendered the tank's on-board guns useless, and the injured men were trapped inside while the tank's metal armour endured constant assault from machine guns, sniper rifles, grenades, heavy artillery and even dynamite.

In one particularly deadly moment, a German soldier managed to climb on the overturned tank and drop a grenade inside, but a crew member managed to hurl it back out before it exploded.

The men survived by sharing their meagre rations and drinking water from the tank's radiator. They were also faced with extremes of temperature ranging from 30 degrees Celsius in the day to below freezing point at night.

After their first night under fire, a flare sent up by British forces showed the men that they were surrounded by German soldiers, eager to take over the stranded tank.

Pete L

21/02/2018 21:40:22
Posted by Scottie on 21/02/2018 16:42:41:

Peter,

A great build with some nice additions. Looking forward to the paint.

Scottie

Cheers Scottie I'm not I your league more like divison two but getting there slowly laugh but I'm enjoying myself so all is good now.

Pete L thumbs up

21/02/2018 21:30:59
Posted by John Race on 21/02/2018 17:34:21:

Pete.

Certainly looking good thumbs up

As for the sash cramps, think Andy and Scottie must have bought all the large ones, I'm now on an email up date !

Andy and Chas, mere young lads teeth 2

John laugh

Hi John sent you a PM

Edited By John Race on 21/02/2018 17:38:03

21/02/2018 21:29:58
Posted by Chas Kenny on 21/02/2018 17:01:25:

Pete,

I've built this already. However, I've added a few extras.

1) I made the base plate for the mortar bigger. This was to allow for the crew.

2) I added a back plate in order that neither the crew nor their kit would fall off.

3) Above the rear door, I added a periscope in order that the crew could find their target.

I know this vehicle never saw operational service. However, this means that any modification to the model is pure speculation.

Chas

Hi Chas they sound like very good modifications to me have you any pictures ( I might steal that idea if you don't mind) and I'm probbaly older than you, I'm almost 63 well the bit that haven't fallen off are .

Pete L smile

21/02/2018 15:20:47
Posted by John Ballard on 21/02/2018 14:51:01:

Pete

Been watching for a while. Very nice job the additions make this a real beauty.

John

Hi John and thank you for following along and glad you like it, I'm trying to improve it the best I can but still a bit to do.The next one is going to be a bit more ambitious !!!

Pete L

21/02/2018 14:15:47
Posted by Andrew Belsey 2 on 20/02/2018 19:17:29:

Thanks for the Excel link.

Tadpole coming on beautifully!

Andy B

Thank you kindly young sir,

Cleaned all part using fibre pen ,must thank Scottie for recommending using it on metal parts befor gluing thumbs up primed all brass,copper and foil using metal primer.

Primed vechicle and tracks using the old hairy stick

Thank you for looking in.
Pete L
Thread: 120mm Volkssturm
20/02/2018 20:47:03
Hi Peter another brilliant job just out of interest how many figures have you made/ painted and it must be one hell of a shelf you've got.

Pete L
Thread: WW1 Mk 1 "Tadpole" (PL)
20/02/2018 17:30:30

Hi I forgot to do this modifcation on my last build, made new hinge pin added return spring & stop.

Before.

One down one to go.

Finish.

Onto the lovely vinly track all 48" small tip for bending the track round the horns soak in hot water NOT BOILING first.

Tracks on , mortar and cross brace fitted, L/R sponsons fitted..

Bit of a clean up then paint

Thank you for looking

Pete L

20/02/2018 10:22:31
Posted by Andrew Belsey 2 on 19/02/2018 20:52:36:

Pete,

I love your neat, thorough apprroach and the detailing is excellent.

Where did you get your blue sash clamps from? They look handy.

Andy B

Hi Andy, John and Scottie do you mean the blue clamps they are made by Excel this is the only uk seleller I know LINK BELOW but there probably others, otherwise i'm afraid it's the US and not alot of those will not ship to the UK. If you do get any i would recommend cleaning all the edges up and gluing rubber pads to the jaws it helps with the grip and doesn't mark your workpiece.I have 4 small & 4 large clamps and I find they work well and have fitted pad to them all.Hope this helps.

Small 3 1/4"

Large 7 1/2"

Pete L
20/02/2018 09:31:50
Posted by Wayne Harris 1 on 20/02/2018 00:32:07:

Pete

A very fine build. What is the model that you have built to compare to the Tadploe in the previous photo?

Thanks

Wayne

Hi Wayne It's a WW1 Mk IV "Male" Heavy Battle Tank.

**LINK**

Pete L

19/02/2018 19:33:39

Sorry Part 2/B

If anyone is building this model a tip rermove the numbers & letters so it fits flat against the hull

Fitted rear L/R tadpole horns ( yes I like clamps smile p 

This is the one that I have just finished at the back, The tadpole comes in at 12" long

That's it for today thank you again.

Pete L
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Kingkit
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ February
Parabellum
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest