By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sean Emmott

Here is a list of all the postings Sean Emmott has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Trimming my stash
13/01/2018 15:24:42

Hi all,

I'm performing a minor pruning of my stash and books. Most kits I donated to Models for Heroes, but I had some things left, and my bookshelves are beyond full!. If you're interested, they are on ebay, with low start prices.

Click here for Sean's bargains.

Thanks,

Sean

Thread: GROUP BUILD RAF 100 2018 .(JR)
13/01/2018 13:37:24

Many thanks to Squadron Leader John "The Ace" Race for taking the reins for this GB!! thumbs up

Well, I must admit I really enjoy an aircraft build, and RAF subjects, as many of you will know, are my favourites.

To start myself in this GB (and apologies for my tardiness!), I'll be building Tamiya's 1/48 Spitfire Vb Trop.

trop_spit_001.jpg

I'll be using some Aeromaster decals to depict a Spitfire flown by P/O George Buerling in the defence of Malta.

Some extras:

trop_spit_002.jpg

Some I've started on the cockpit. It's now ready for the etch.

trop_spit_003.jpg

trop_spit_004.jpg

Click this link for the fully detailed blog.

beerbeer

Sean

13/01/2018 13:28:09
Posted by Marcello Tontodonati on 10/01/2018 22:40:38:

Hi,

finally this one has landed in the mail box and it will be soon ready to fly. this is my entry for the GB RAF 100 and hope to make it justice. I have opened the box, not yet taken out the sprues form the bags and I am already impressed.

img_3071.jpg

Let the fan begins
Marcello

Hi Marcello, I have nnow built three of these new-tool Eduard Spitfires, and I think they are wonderful, wonderful kits. I am sure you will enjoy it!

beerbeer

Sean

13/01/2018 13:26:42
Posted by Mike Cartmale on 10/01/2018 22:50:09:

Evening All,
Well I have made a start, honest. Sorry about the photo but it was such a sunny twenty minutes.....
Now that I have completed a request item I can concentrate on this bird as a nice steady plod and enjoy building an aeroplane which is something I have not done for a loooong time.
And as there are a few Mike's on here I will sign off with -

MikeC...

spit start.jpg

I have this kit in the stash, and am looking forward to seeing how it comes together. thumbs up

beerbeer

Sean

13/01/2018 13:26:41
Posted by Mike Cartmale on 10/01/2018 22:50:09:

Evening All,
Well I have made a start, honest. Sorry about the photo but it was such a sunny twenty minutes.....
Now that I have completed a request item I can concentrate on this bird as a nice steady plod and enjoy building an aeroplane which is something I have not done for a loooong time.
And as there are a few Mike's on here I will sign off with -

MikeC...

spit start.jpg

I have this kit in the stash, and am looking forward to seeing how it comes together. thumbs up

beerbeer

Sean

13/01/2018 13:04:51
Posted by John Redfern on 07/01/2018 20:30:21:

Hi John

Here's my contribution to this group build,hopefully i'll finish it toowink

Harrier Gr5,Esci 72nd scale kit

img_2757.jpg

Desructionsdevil

img_2758.jpg

After a few hours this afternoon

img_2760.jpg

cockpit nearly done need some gloss varnish for the decals

img_2761.jpg

gonna need some fillercrying

Well that's were i'm at up to now.

John

A great start, John. You've moved quick!

beerbeer

Sean

13/01/2018 13:01:45
Posted by Dave Ward on 04/01/2018 13:41:31:

Not very original, I know................................

airfix 1-48 hurricane.jpg

I haven't made a Hurricane for many years ( 30+? ), and I've never made one of the later Airfix productions, so Tally Ho.

Don't know when I'll start, but I'm sure I'll get this made in the time frame!

Dave

Dave, this is a lovely kit. I built it a couple of years ago and remember it fondly. I look forward to seeing your results!

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Spitfire Vb Trop. (RAF 100 GB)
13/01/2018 12:59:26

[Notes from the instruction sheet:]

The Supermarine Spitfire is regarded by many as the most beautifully designed single seat fighter to appear during World War Two. The Spitfire went through numerous major and minor changes throughout its long service life. Early improvements resulted in the Mk.V which became the most widely produced version of all Spitfires. The main improvements were the introduction of three wing armament configurations and the use of the more powerful Merlin type 45 engine. The most numerous Mk.V was the "b" winged version which had a mixed armament of two .303 browning machine guns and one 20mm cannon in each wing.

The Spitfire that demonstrated such superb performance over its homeland was also urgently required for operations overseas. One of the better known versions was the North African prepared variant, designated "TROP", for Tropical. The biggest problem in desert operations was the intake of abrasive sand into the engine, which quickly wore out moving parts. To overcome this difficulty a Vokes air filter was fixed over the carburetor intake. Although the filter was successful its large mass reduced the aircraft's speed. The problem was solved by the local maintenance unit stationed at Aboukir, who designed a smaller, more streamlined unit that equally effective.

I will be completing this model using decals from an Aeromaster sheet, "Defenders of Malta (part II)". The subject will be a Vb flown by Pilot Officer George 'Screwball' Beurling, 249 Sqn in 1942. Buerling, a Canadian flying with the RAF, became Malta's highest scoring ace with 23 and 1/3 victories. He shot down three Bf109s in one sortie during September 1942. Beurling was decorated with the DSO, DFC, and DFM and Bar. (For discussion)

george_beurling_vancouver_1943.jpg

Over time, I plan to build most of the aircraft on this decal sheet, and have already completed a Hurricane Mk.I:

mh001.jpg

Here are the extras I will be adding to the base kit and using to make it an easier build (the time saved by buying pre-cut masks is well worth the money to me!).

trop_spit_002.jpg

I've made a start on the interior. The base colour is British Interior Grey-Green from Alclad II's Mil-Spec range. Pre-thinned enamels ready for spraying. This was then drybrushed with a mix of base colour lightened with Titanium White oil paint. The protect the finish I sealed ith with Johnson's Klear and washed with a moderately heavy mix of Black and Burnt Umber oils.

trop_spit_003.jpg

trop_spit_004.jpg

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Your Best Build of 2017
23/12/2017 11:02:50

Wow, there are some beautiful models in this thread. One thing that strikes me is how people's standards have improved over the years.

Quite a tough one for me to answer, but I think it's my most recently finished build: Eduard's Spitfire MkVIII. It's the third of Eduard's recent Spitfires that I have built, and they are wonderful, wonderful kits.

spitfire_viii_001.jpg

beerbeer

Sean

Edited By Sean Emmott on 23/12/2017 11:03:13

Thread: Open University - does anyone here have experience of it?
18/12/2017 10:39:34
Posted by John Prigent on 14/12/2017 13:46:00:

I forgot to add that psychology or social sciences are on my 'avoid at all costs' list as being incurably infected with idiot 'experts' already.

It sounds like they are subjects that you'd gain a lot from studying then.

beerbeer

Sean

14/12/2017 11:30:45

In many ways I'm not surprised that you haven't found much of interest or relevance in the courses that you describe, since you are already knowledgeable and skilled in those areas. You might find more value in exploring a new area of interest. Psychology, social science or a traditional science, for example.

As for the requirements of the introductory module, I can see how that would be frustrating. However, I have a little training in educational theory and practice for adults (A merit in Leeds University's Post Graduate Certificate of Primary Care Education in 2001 cool) and these courses will have been devised with specific aims and objectives. Given that public money is involved in funding them I can well imagine that there are strict regulatory requirements imposed on entry criteria for students. I do sympathise with how you feel about this though. Working in one of the most regulated professions in the country, I know how much I hate what seems to me like unnecessary and demeaning administrative demands!

Another option would be the University of the Third Age, which would allow you the opportunity to give, as well as receive, knowledge.

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Sit Rep
14/12/2017 10:49:41

I'm sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations in 2017, Simon. I missed being able to catch up with you at Telford. If my patients' experience is anything to go by, you will find the improvement in your vision a few weeks after you have your cataracts repaired is remarkable. So you have that to look forward to at least.

Take care ol' pal - you are in my thoughts.

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Witness me!!
07/12/2017 23:47:05

I like this - it's the kind of model that fills my head with expletives... but we are all gentlemen and ladies at MilMod, I'll just say "by 'eck that's right bloomin' good!" thumbs up

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Big Kit Sale coming up
07/12/2017 08:31:43

Hi Alan,

Just a thought for perhaps a couple of kits... Models for Heroes.

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Celluclay
02/12/2017 20:02:39

Hi there Ladies & Gents,

Any of you that have followed any of my blogged dioramas, or even just models mounted on a scenic base, will now that I very much like using a material called Celluclay. It is like a powdered mix of dry papier mache. You can mix it as stiff or loose as you like, and colour it with any pigment or water soluble paint (cheap children's poster paints are ideal). I mention it on this page of my "Long Road Back" blog.

It has always been somewhat difficult to get hold of in the UK, but while browsing for Christmas presents, I came across www.homecrafts.co.uk. They are selling Celluclay at £21 for a 2.25kg bag. A back this size will last for years, possibly even your entire modelling career, and is a very good price compared to other UK suppliers I have found.

I thought I'd give you all a heads up.

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Another shop to close
30/11/2017 09:19:29

While I feel a great deal of sympathy for the owner of any business that has to close, I think it's inevitable that those that do not embrace the web are doomed, and it puzzles me why more do not have online shops alongside their physical shops. I am a regular customer of Hannants despite living 200 miles away.

I am lucky to live near one of the best model shops in the north, Halifax Modeller's World. Nevertheless, I'm likely as likely to buy from them online as I am to use half a day to get to Halifax and back: spare time I could be spending actually making models (or messing around on MilMod wink 2). Thanks to online model shops and ebay traders (who, let's not forget, are also small modelling businesses that are run by fellow enthusiasts). we have access to a much wider range of models, tools and sundries than we ever could if we relied on physical shops.

Overall, then, I think we are living in times that are changing, but for the better.

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: 1/16 African Gladiator
20/11/2017 10:34:00

Stunning work, Peter.

I really like the black skin tones.

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Webbed up
20/11/2017 10:30:10

Glad to hear you got it sorted, John. thumbs up

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Esci Partisans - a first attempt
13/11/2017 21:35:30

Hi Nick,

If this is your first shot at figure painting, then I really admire your work. thumbs up

One thing you may not have realised, is that you have set yourself a very difficult challenge. When we embark on our hobby, we assume we shouldn't waste our money on expensive kits that we will inevitably "muck up". However, more costly kits are often easier to build and paint because of their superior design and moulding. For instance, if you spend a few pounds on some after-market resin heads, from Hornet for example, you will find the sharper detail makes painting them easier, and the results better.

I don't intend in any way to detract from your progress so far - which is very good - but take this as a tip from one who has been there before! smiley

I look forward to following your progress with this build. It is not a scene I have seen depicted before and I think it will be a very appealing model.

beerbeer

Sean

Thread: Scale Model World, Telford
10/11/2017 15:08:46

I shall be there, gents.

I'm just waiting for the Good Lady Artist 'er Indoors to get back from the dentist and we shall be setting off southwards

beerbeer

Sean

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ December
Hobbylink November 2
Kingkit
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest