By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Hammerton

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Hammerton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Panda 1/35 Cougar JERRV 6 X 6
21/07/2017 23:17:00
That's not necessarily surprising, a lot of kit manufacturers websites are not as good as they should be.

Meng's site is slower than a glacier on Valium when it comes to updates.
21/07/2017 19:30:50
When you consider how much of a model kit can be outsourced to third-party manufacturers, you have to wonder how many people are in the "head office"?

I sometimes think there's a small office unit and a computer with a decent CAD/CAM package.

It certainly does ask some questions about the viability of proof reading, test assembly and other quality assurance procedures.

Simon
Thread: Spots on Facebook
21/07/2017 09:40:12
Very much the way Henry Ford intended, a simple chassis with different types of wooden superstructure dropped on top.

I already have the 1917 Ambulance, but I can easily see me getting these.
20/07/2017 12:21:34
This seems to be a common problem with Panda kits, and suggests that Test Building is an alien concept to them.

I have a few Panda kits, all interesting subjects but all with this kind of thing.

Old school modellers will get around the problems, but on social media modelling groups where there seems to be a serious lack of patience these kits are hated.

Simon
Thread: Spots on Facebook
20/07/2017 10:09:24
Different to the Meng BMR, which is based on the T-90.

Simon
20/07/2017 07:37:10
It definitely increases proportionally to the thickness of the glass.

Back when I was making glass I used a lot of clear sheet glass, I had it in thicknesses from 1.5mm up to 6.0mm and the effect was far greater with 6.0mm than any other.
19/07/2017 21:13:59
I'm not sure that the glass is actually tinted.

If you look at the edge of a sheet of cut clear glass the refractory layer creates a green caste.

Now I have never seen an image of this glass square on, only from an angle where the thickness of the glass gives you that refractory hue.

I experimented with some clear styrene and painted the edges only with a mid green acrylic. This gave a light green tint, but it is too faint to show well in a picture.

I'd love to see some better images of these panels to hopefully clear the matter up.

Simon
Thread: Tiger Model 1/35 AMX-10RCR Separ
17/07/2017 04:27:01
Fascinated information Peter, thank you for sharing with us.

However common sense seems to have been MIA in recent years when it comes to Defence Procurement, so I wouldn't assume that unsuitability is necessarily a hindrance.
Thread: Questions & Answers
15/07/2017 21:15:14
Any putty can be diluted, once you know what the makeup of it is.

I'm not 100% sure about the ones in the photo, but I think they thin with liquid poly cement.
The ones I use thin with cellulose thinners, and plain water with the acrylic putties like Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty
Thread: Tiger Model 1/35 AMX-10RCR Separ
15/07/2017 02:16:47
There's talk of the Royal Marines having them, impressive looking boats.

14/07/2017 23:42:17

No idea how much yet, but a definite yes from me

14/07/2017 23:41:22

Nice...

This is also in the stash.

BTW Have you seen this on the way from TM?

1499950700_19956838_811459899015729_5801342280101676131_o.jpg

Thread: Latest Acquisitions 2017
14/07/2017 18:22:24
Oh well, Trumpeter here I come then.

Simon
Thread: TML 1/35 AMX-30B2 Brenus
14/07/2017 18:20:33
There is a lot to like with Tiger Models, I have a couple with some more on order.

Very much liked the included metal barrels, especially because the Aber barrels to go with the Meng kits are not cheap.

I have to say one of my favourite things with TM are the labels for the parts runners, yes it's simple to replicate with a roll of tape and a Sharpie, but it's the fact that they thought about their customers enough to do it.
Thread: Latest Acquisitions 2017
14/07/2017 11:33:30
Interested to see what you think of the T-80 Dave?

Zvezda have been massively improving in the last few years, and a T-80 is very much on the wish list.

Simon
Thread: Keeping your builds safe from your little, furry tykes
13/07/2017 14:22:51
We have never had a problem with dogs on the workbench, as the smallest we've had are Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

However Jess our new young Lurcher has a tendency to chew plastic, not good and will require some work before she crosses the threshold of the workshop.

Simon
12/07/2017 07:20:10

You could employ a Dog Crate, but far better to train your dog to make the right choices in his behaviour, ie to choose to not jump up on your workbench.

I have a large comfy armchair in my workshop, and all three of our dogs know that this is where they should be when they are keeping me company.

This is nowhere near as difficult as you might think, and there are plenty of force-free / reward-based training resources out there.

To give you an idea of what's available this is my Partner's website, she's a Professional Dog Trainer and Behaviourist.

www.westcornwalldogtraining.co.uk

I hope this helps

Simon

Thread: Fade shades on armour
12/07/2017 02:25:30
There was a habit in German factories of putting new stock on top of old, so as the new was depleted the workers would find themselves with older parts to fit to later vehicles.

Would this have happened with paint? Possibly, but I don't think so.

What doesn't help that particular theory is that there were few JTs built, IIRC less than 80. Those that were produced have been well documented and I certainly don't recall seeing any rolling out in grey.

Although someone with more interest in this subject may know better.

Simon
Thread: FV432 Weathering Walk-Around by Fraser Gray
08/07/2017 07:53:17

I just want to add my thanks to Fraser Gray for the superb images of the FV432, they'll be incredibly useful when I get round to doing mine.

Simon

Thread: MENG 1/35 KING TIGER WITH INTERIOR WIP
07/07/2017 07:20:41
No the ranges just have a broad spectrum under each name.

Tyrannosaurus range are mainly Tanks because they're all about combat, pretty much what the T-Rex is always seen as being.

By comparison the Stegosaurus range has less focus on direct combat, yet includes vehicles like the M2/M3 Bradleys. As Bradleys destroyed more Iraqi armour than Abrams did the logic is less than 100% sound.

IIRC there's a little explanation of it all on the Meng website, but as I said it's somewhat inexact.

I have about 57 Meng kits now, and the lizard on the box has little to do with what's inside.

Simon
Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ July
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest