By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Hammerton

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Hammerton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Changing Color of Vinyl Tires?
23/03/2017 14:29:53
Not something I've tried John, but probably worth experimenting with.

Simon
23/03/2017 12:53:41
Hi Dan

I'm interested to see this develop as this looks fascinating.

Simon
Thread: New member to military modelling
22/03/2017 18:02:37

Hi Ant

Welcome to the site.

Simon

22/03/2017 17:55:16

I have no control regarding the final naming of stuff Dan

Tricky Stick because it is for materials that are tricky to stick...

No, me neither

They come up with a shortlist of suitable product names and punt them out to the various interested groups; Scale Modelling, Railways, RC, Dolls Houses etc. They all give their opinions and preferences and it goes from there.

Simon

Edited By Simon Hammerton on 22/03/2017 18:01:08

22/03/2017 15:13:06
Regarding the issue of getting paint to stay on vinyl tracks or tyres.

I help Deluxe Materials with product development and testing. One product is called Tricky Stick and is designed to prime vinyl and other "shiny" plastics to allow them to be glued with Cyanoacrylates (superglues), this it does very well.

But we like to see if there are any other uses beyond the intended ones, and I have found that Tricky Stick seems to work as a primer for painting vinyl.

I'm not ready for a full and conclusive assessment yet, but so far the results are very promising.

Simon
Thread: How long is yours?
21/03/2017 18:10:32
I was wondering when the wheels were going to fall off this thread.

I blame Jimbo, with Smith as a willing accomplice

21/03/2017 14:04:39
I have that in the stash, cracking build.

Simon
21/03/2017 12:02:10
I have some WWI stuff in the stash, so I'm as curious as you are to see where this goes.

Simon
Thread: Spots on Facebook
21/03/2017 12:00:27
My apologies

I just had a look at the video and it does indeed have moulded Zimmerit.

Difficult to say from viewing on a Smartphone, but it looks better than the overscale efforts that have been available beforehand.

Simon
21/03/2017 11:31:41
Don't assume that from the box art Matthew.

Loads of kits will show Zim on the box - and they might have moulded it on.

But historically speaking, when manufacturers feature moulded Zimmerit they usually make a big thing of it on the box.

Simon
21/03/2017 10:55:59

I'm not sure that you're going to get much response to this.

Most military vehicles appeared after the vulcanisation process was developed, so black it was.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but I can't think of them.

Simon

Thread: How long is yours?
21/03/2017 10:51:02

This area is quite substantial in terms of length of aerial, but also if it's a rigid, whip, straight, or tapering aerial.

I have been moving over to modern AFV modelling in the last 18 months, and I'm still trying to work out the specifications for the different types of aerial.

I'm as curious as you are regard this.

Simon

Thread: German A7V WW1 Tank (Meng)
17/03/2017 07:13:21

Hi Wayne

I'll be interested to see how you go with this. I have one myself but I haven't got anywhere near building it.

Have a look at Terry Ashley's review over at PMMS, he got some useful information on this build.

Both Aber and Master Models do replacement barrel sets for this beast, I didn't bother replacing the Maxim MGs, but I have replaced the 57mm main gun.

Simon

Thread: Dora 1/35
17/03/2017 00:36:06
That's the thing with electrics, they all work more or less the same way, the only thing that changes is the size of the installation.

Simon
16/03/2017 12:06:05

I was lighting a TV show in the UK, running the lights from a generator truck.

Unknown to everyone, some genius ran the distribution cables ACROSS a working railway line.

Everything was fine until the 09:30 commuter chopped the cables, at which point the generator truck literally shot about six feet straight up.

I've never seen so many people run that fast, and we never did find out who laid out the cables.

Simon

16/03/2017 12:00:32

It's unlikely that they would use custom-made connectors, so I'd try a Google search for German power distribution cables 1940's.

Things like power cables tend to be very logical in their execution.

I would expect to see the power generator with a shielded receptacle, into which a male power connector would plug.

Each exposed end from the power supply would terminate in another shielded receptacle, into which another male connector would fit. It's pretty much like a domestic electrical system, except for the size of it to handle the amperage it's drawing.

Simon

16/03/2017 10:17:27
Hi Roger

The image showing the cable plugging into the carriage receptacle now makes me think I was barking up the wrong tree. That image looks like the connector has a flat aspect to it rather than a round one.

BTW I don't have any Mirachelle connector images, but they are basically a larger version of the hookup connectors used by trailers and motorhomes when they require external electrical power rather than the inbuilt generators or leisure batteries.

Simon
16/03/2017 01:54:32
Hi Roger

I'm not a train enthusiast, but I used to work with HD power distribution equipment in the Film and TV Industry.

That looks a lot like what is now known as a Mirachelle connector, but it is difficult to be certain because the fitting is in shadow.

If it is however, it would be a two or three pin connection with a keyway built into the barrel of the connector to prevent cross-connection.

Any chance of some more views Roger?

Simon
Thread: Aircraft Kits For Sale
15/03/2017 03:17:45

If Mike's happy then so am I

Apologies for any upset caused.

Simon

14/03/2017 20:14:12
No charges = no protection, that's my point

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
HLJ Feb 2017
Casemate
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ Mar 2017
Parabellum
Battlegate
Howmans Books 2017
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest