By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Belsey 2

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Belsey 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: North Surrey MMG Show
16/02/2017 18:28:28

Nick,

Just found this and THANKS for the photos. I was really wanting to attend and I live only a couple of miles away from Banstead. But life got in the way and I wasn't able to come again. That's happened for several years now and not been able to go to The NS show. Maybe next year? It's good to get some photos of it, to see what I missed.

Congratulations on your bling Nick!

Andy B

Thread: Shenanigans16: Tamiya's Old Matilda II
16/02/2017 18:18:54

Well done Peter! and I'm sure that a few more ammo boxes to keep Mr C happy is well within your talents. (Mr C has had the pleasure of firing these things and knows a lot more than we do.)

Andy B

Thread: 1:32 Trench Sections
16/02/2017 14:56:50

Here's how I've used it. My friend Adrian Bay wanted a 75mm Tommy gun so I scaled it down from a 1.6th version my friend had. This ended up on Adrian's Chindit figure.

img_3871red.jpg

16/02/2017 14:49:31

Nice model Joe. Did you make it for a local museum?

Tim. Well spotted!! I only went as far as CSE Maths, but got Grade 1, (an 'O' level equivalent). I did this and another of architectural model scales because the two guys I worked with at the time were constantly asking me for conversions. As you've found, it isn't perfect! So anyone who uses it does so with a risk that it may not be right!! I think that it is OK though!??? There are other charts and methods out there. I posted it once before and found lots of people with differing ways of calculating.

All the figures on my chart ending 33, 66 or 99 are recurring numbers and you should add as many of that figure that your calculator will allow. Tim's correction of 0.16 is correct. I'll adjust my master copy. Thanks Tim.

Thread: SSGB17 Braille Scale {ST}
15/02/2017 16:45:51

Glad that your dad's out and I pray that his recovery continues.

It's good to see all the bling continuing to mount on this 'kit' (what's left of it!) Delight to our eyes.

Andy B

15/02/2017 08:59:07

Joe, sorry to disagree, but I have to let scale accuracy bug me because I make scale architectural models for a living and they have to be as accurate as possible. It's just engrained into me just like crooked hanging pictures on a wall bug me like hell because I have to be aware of squareness all day long! When they were younger, my children would put them crooked on purpose to see how long before I noticed!!

I'm not sure that the scale below will help you because it's in milimetres and I suspect that you use inches? Start with the scale on the left hand side and convert it to the scale on the top row.

001.jpg

I'm afraid that I have nothing new to post as I plagued with a throat infection and tickly cough at the moment which keeps me awake, apart from snatches of sleep. I've not slept well for a week now, so pretty knackered! All I got last night was 2 blocks of about 40mins long.

If you want to see more of my work then this will link you to my miniature work in 1:285 scale. **LINK**

Below the photos are two threads, one called 'WW1 Artillery' but also includes a load of WW2 micro dioramas. There's a lot to see in that thread. Or just click on the photos label under my avatar which will take you to my albums. Have fun! Andy

Thread: " Dusty Bin " ( GB SSGB17 ) JR .
14/02/2017 19:11:17

Great little diorama John. And it's good to know that you're bonkers, so that I know that I have some company!

(just look at my avatar)

Andy B

14/02/2017 18:29:16

Peter,

Having gone through none of the pain these little blighters have given you, they look great to my eyes! I too look forward to seeing the last leg of this diorama.

Andy B

Thread: Watchout GI
14/02/2017 18:26:47

Richard,

Super little figures and the whole scene works really well together. I too can recommend Magicsculpt.

Andy B

12/02/2017 18:51:07

Sorry for a slow response, Life has been busy and I'm fighting a throat infection which has kept me awake at night with coughing.

Mike - I'll get the package to you ASAP and when I know where to send it. THANK YOU my friend and I hope that you are just as excited as me to be receiving the goodies I've made you. I want to tinker with a couple of things before I post and haven't got the energy with the virus.

Joe - It's interesting how we all approach things differently, depending on our preferences and personality. Once I realize that sometng is wrong/out of scale it really bugs me. My brand of perfectionism.

Richard - Thanks for the tip, and I have actually used wire before. The edges of tins are actually half way between the wire and foil strip. I am ALWAYS very keen for constructive suggestions or criticisms, so THANK YOU. I've seen your wonderful fine scale work and have confidence that they would be well within your capabilities, so don't do yourself down!

Jim - Glad that I'm inspiring you. I enjoy watching your great models develop too. MilMod is a great place to share our enjoyment of each others work.

Thread: ME-262 Scratch Build 1/100 #5 (JB SSGB17)
09/02/2017 16:11:19

Fantastic Jim! It still surprises me where you start from, with rough putty and sand back. My approach would be to get a form much nearer before the sanding process, but I am blessed with a wealth of machinery on hand. There are always many ways to get to the same end - we pick the one which works for us.

Andy B

Thread: The boat builder
09/02/2017 14:07:06

Somehow missed this completely! Wonderful character in this nasty looking fellow! As has been said - stunning!!

Andy B

09/02/2017 13:55:40

Looks much better than 'OK' to my eyes and I'm constantly surprised at you speed!! I'm glad that you resisted the bin! I used to do my 1:285 tanks that quickly, but there was a reason for that - I little bit of paint goes a long way!

Andy B

09/02/2017 13:48:21

Hi Mike,

It's good to know that you're still watching, even if there's not much progress. I made the cookers from one of your photos and some other research. I made one for you of course and am not sure where mine will end up yet?

I've got my Poilu in front of me on my bench. I did start him and have stalled. Painting figures is painful for me as I want them to be good so much. It brings out the worst of my perfectionism! Meanwhile my creativity has been channelled into writing Christian songs, something I hadn't tried until last year. A couple of friends have said that they've found themselves humming my songs at home, so they can't be that bad!

I know one of your tips is practice, practice, practice so I'd better pick up that paintbrush!

08/02/2017 20:01:44

Scottie and Scott,

Thank you.

Sorry for the lack of progress recently, I'm still lacking in mojo.

Thread: Shenanigans:15. Tamiya 1/35 SDKFZ 231 and Diorama
08/02/2017 19:59:16

Peter, don't be so hard on yourself ! Your painting ability at this scale exceeds most of us! And as I've said before, is far better than Monsieur Verlinden!!! Great diorama!

Andy B

08/02/2017 19:55:29

Yes Peter, it still surprises me how quickly you work!

Andy B

Thread: Albatros D V by Eduard in 1/72nd (SSGB17)
08/02/2017 19:51:20

John,

I'm sorry to read and see your problems with the decals. I don't have any advice as it's out of my knowledge range, but only hope that you can resolve it OK. The Albatros looks so good it would be such a shame to stall now. You can hear that we're all routing for you mate! Hope it's solved soon.

Andy B

05/02/2017 22:06:09

Hi Cap/Joe

I cheat wherever I can - why waste time if there's an easier way!? The only 1/35 thing that I can think of straight away is the tin buckets on the dioramas which are really 1/35. You've probably noticed I'm a detail person so it will usually bug me if something is too small. I am very aware of the difference between the two scales, so things like 1/35 weapons are far too small. I have made most of the equipment myself and try as hard as I can to get it in scale for 1/32. I have worked out what inches and feet measurements are in milimetres at 1/32 so that I get them the right size. I have all this noted down for quick reference.

04/02/2017 15:23:43

Thank you guys. It's good to have company of friends and you don't have to say nice things about my work. The company and hearing what you're thinking is so much better than the viewcounts!

Joe. I've seen your excellent dioramas and am noting your work with plaster. I have used it in the past and got good results. I tend to use the materials that I have to hand and have scraps of this polyurethane ready to use. It goes through circular saws and band saws much better than plaster ever would, so is more versatile for me. I try to keep my mind open to different ways so will mull it over. There is always several ways to get to similar results. You just need to experiment until you find something that suits your skills. As a professional, I always have to keep time at the front of my mind, but that can get in the way of my hobby work where it is less important. I'll be checking through your work to see what I can glean from you - thanks! Learning from each other is one of the great things about this site.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ Feb 2017
Kingkit
Parabellum
HLJ Late Dec
Casemate
Howmans Books 2017
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest