By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jimbo

Here is a list of all the postings jimbo has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: resin casting
25/05/2017 12:51:05
hi Marty
When I ordered my Sylmasta kit I was also quoted a very high delivery cost. Then I lived in Scotland so I had delivery to my daughters in Chester and picked it up on my next visit. l will be interested to see how you get on. I am sure you will find it easy and very useful.
Jim
Thread: Trumpeter, 3.7cm Flak 43 Flakpanzer IV " Ostwind "(AAGB 17 )
25/05/2017 12:10:25

Hi John

Just have to echo the others regarding your figures. They are GREAT!!

Jim

Thread: Rheintochter 1 AAGB17
25/05/2017 12:08:43

Hi Dave

Great model and I do like the paint job. You are a natural masker face 20

Jim

Thread: MENG 1/35 KING TIGER WITH INTERIOR WIP
25/05/2017 12:06:33

Hi Manu

Just said on your other thread that you posts were always informative and entertaining - having caught up with this I should add 'jaw dropping'. The detail is absolutely stunning. A tribute to your patience and skill.

When making the stowage boxes what are those block things you use to keep things square? I have seen similar in Ron L's blog.

Like the gear stick. I have melted styrene rod to get a blob but not wire.

Jim

Thread: Pz.Kpfw.VI Ausf C/B (VK36.01) by Revosys
25/05/2017 11:58:51

Hi Manu

Your posts and threads are never a waste of time. Always entertaining and informative.

I have never heard of Revosys thinking They do look superb and i have just Googled them and the reviews are great. I for one would be interested to see how they go together.

Jim

Thread: 120mm German Sniper 1WW
25/05/2017 11:52:53

Hi Peter

Beautifully painted heads. I love that guys 'tash - real character.

Jim

Thread: (AAGB17) Sdkfz.7/1 quad Flak38 {ST}
25/05/2017 11:51:05

Hi Simon

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey face 20 The track difference is vast. Will all the spockets and wheels work with the Friuls?

Jim

Thread: 1/72 Zvezda British Bofors 40mm AA gun (AAGB17)
25/05/2017 11:44:47

Hi all

Great to read your comments - appreciated.

With the originals I now have enough ammo boxes, closed and opened, to make it look as if the gun is in use. I need to make a few more lids but they are easier to scratch rather than cast.

p1040677.jpg

My very simple resin casting does result in some 'failures' with bubbles. These have air bubbles.

p1040676.jpg

Sometimes an air bubble ruins the cast. However often it is possible to fill the bubble or in this case just arrange things so the flaws don't show - something like this.

p1040678.jpg

The weather here in Shropshire is too nice today to sit inside at the bench so maybe find some time this evening.

Thanks for your continued support.

Jim

Thread: An IDF AMX-13/75
23/05/2017 16:35:02

Hi John

First off the colour looks really good and the black on the tools suits it.

Sorry to hear of the leg and wrist problems. Muscles are strange things. When we damage one then others have to compensate and they then become inflamed. As far as your wrist goes it is probably a case of trying to do too much too soon. Just because the cast is off it is still tender and needs time.

Be kind to yourself and let things mend. Read some nice books wink 2

Jim

Thread: 1/72 Zvezda British Bofors 40mm AA gun (AAGB17)
23/05/2017 16:02:27

Hi all

John, Ron and Fernando - thanks guys thumbs up

This is how I do very simple, basic resin casting (Simon T taught me all I know)

The casting box is made from the waxed cardboard you get from milk or fruit juice cartons stuck together with a cheap heat glue gun. Just ensure all gaps are sealed. An extra bead of glue is good here.

p1040671.jpg

The masters are stuck in place using double sided tape. I use the removeable stuff that scrap bookers use.

p1040672.jpg

The rubber is mixed and poured. I 'drop' the box onto the bench a few times to help eliminate air bubbles. The rubber takes a while to set and the bubbles tend to rise to the surface and burst on their own.

p1040673.jpg

The rubber is mixed by weight and I give it 24hours to go off.

Take the rubber mould out of the box and gently remove the masters.

p1040674.jpg

The resin is mixed again by weight. Mix well and pour into the mould. Simon suggested that a thin piece of wire be used to chase out the air from the thin walls of the open box. Very sound advice. The resin goes from clear to white as it cures. You only have a couple of minutes working time. Oddly enough the greater the volume of the resin the quicker it cures. After a couple of hours the castings are gently wiggled out of the mould.

p1040675.jpg

There will be some failures - air bubbles. It is however a cheap and easy way of making copies.

Jim

Thread: Bronco Staghound AA (AAGB17)
23/05/2017 12:40:29

Hi Ross

Looks good from here. When you get odd holes and some fit issues is can be time consuming and annoying but when it is sorted in the end it is quite satisfying.

Jim

Thread: Military Modelling Vol.47 Issue 6
23/05/2017 12:37:36

Hi Martyn

I just noticed that there was not an aeroplane build in this issue. You can't get everything into every issue without the magazine becoming a thick book. It was just an observation. I reckon the magazine is going from strength to strength and the unusual articles you are sourcing are really good.

Jim

Thread: Trumpeter, 3.7cm Flak 43 Flakpanzer IV " Ostwind "(AAGB 17 )
23/05/2017 12:32:58

Hi John

That has weather up really nicely - I just knew it would face 20

Retirement finances crying 2 When I retired I went into panic mode - imagined I would be destitute and have to sell the wife thinking. Now things have settled down it is all fine and the missus is still here. I found that the pattern of our spending changed and it took a year or so to figure things out.

Jim

Thread: war on the homefront
23/05/2017 12:26:48

Hi Rick

So sorry to hear your very sad news. All you can do is be there for him.

Jim

Thread: Military Modelling Vol.47 Issue 6
23/05/2017 12:25:02

Hi Martyn

Great looking issue, something for everyone - apart from a wingy thing. Peter Gillson's piece should be very interesting - not seen that before. Even got a piccie of my Aerosan so dead chuffed face 20

Jim

Thread: 120mm German Sniper 1WW
23/05/2017 12:18:09

Hi Peter

I like this a lot. Your head transplant is great. The pose and the base is excellent so with your quality painting I reckon its a winner. And no bow face 20

Jim

Thread: resin casting
23/05/2017 12:14:37

Hi Marty

I have done some very simple resin casting with some success. The guy to ask is Simon T - he gave me all the help he could. I bought a Sylmasta kit.

This is what I do

I make a box from the waxed cardboard you get from milk or orange juice cartons. I stick it together with one of those cheap heated glue guns. Dead cheap one. This photo shows it filled with the rubber.

p1030414.jpg

This is the master - it is actually a bumper thingy for a lifeboat build

p1030410.jpg

p1030411.jpg

Mounted up to put in the mould (Simon told me how to do this)

p1030413.jpg

The castings were not all perfect but over a few days I got enough decent ones for what I needed.

p1030415.jpg

p1030417.jpg

I also did the same for all the pontoon floats

p1030416.jpg

You can see them in the finished model

p1030762.jpg

Hope this is some help. I think it is worth a go. I have done all sorts of simple things - boxes etc.

Jim

Thread: Medical update 2
22/05/2017 17:35:19

Hi Mike

Thoughts are with you my friend. I hope from now on it is all improvements. You have had your share of bad fortune.

Jim

Thread: (AAGB17) Sdkfz.7/1 quad Flak38 {ST}
22/05/2017 11:06:21

Hi Simon

Third time a dream thumbs up Does look good.

Jim

Thread: Disappearance and Slight returns.. well trying tok
22/05/2017 11:00:17

Hi Nick

Sounds as if things are ganging up on you. Hope the elbow mends OK. Hope mum goes recovers quickly. Always a worry at that age.

Anyway Nick we will all be here when you return to Wow us with more of your braille scale creations.

Jim

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Battlegate
Parabellum
HLJ Mar 2017
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest