By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jimbo

Here is a list of all the postings jimbo has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Me. and my shadow.....(SSGB17)
21/02/2017 11:54:27

Hi Nick

Just gets better and better. No doubt you have a big grin on your face.

Jim

Thread: Scratch Build #6 : Inception
21/02/2017 10:26:41

Hi Jim

Peter is right. Your confidence and skill is taking off. Most interesting to see how you go about doing these totally scratched builds. Appreciate you taking the time out to photograph the process and to post your thoughts.

Jim

Thread: SSGB17 Braille Scale {ST}
21/02/2017 10:22:23

Morning Simon

Have you found the wheel yet? There must be a whole parallel universe full of bits of model kits, the backs of ear-rings, car keys and teaspoons. Those are the things that get taken by the rift in our house face 20

I know I have said it often but your ability to work so accurately and neatly at this scale is most immpressive.

Jim

Thread: Gator's grip original Vs Gator's grip thin blend
21/02/2017 10:12:43

Hi SH

I am a great lover of the Gator Glue. If I have doubt about the security of the bond I wick thin CA into the join after the Gator glue is dry. Like Wouter I don't see the sense of a thin version as the original can so easily be thinned to how you want it.

Jim

Thread: So where do you think you're going to put that then?
20/02/2017 21:45:10

Hi John

A superb result in every respect. Have you decided where you are going to put it? It deserves pride of place with a cover.

Thanks for sharing this John - top level modelling as always.

Jim

I bought one of those pens after reading about them on the forum. Very impressive they are too. By repeatedly pressing the tip to release a blob of 'chrome' onto a spare bit of plastic it can be used on a brush to get into tight spaces. It is easy to clean the brush with iso as alcohol is the solvent. Amazon pen *HERE* - they do 4, 2 and 1mm tip sizes.

Thread: 1/35 Wokka Wokka from Trumpeter - British heli
20/02/2017 16:43:43

Hi Simmer

I have also read the very mixed reviews on that paint. Something I shall avoid. Despite all the problems your work is superb. The ups and downs of this build may drive you demented but does make a fascinating read.

Jim

20/02/2017 16:36:53

Nice, nice, very nice. Forgot to mention - damage is well done.

Jim

Thread: For the Motherland!
20/02/2017 16:35:27

Hi Alistair

I was thinking that the kit was superb in every way until I read your axle issues. Seems so out of place when everything else looks very good.

Anyway you have sorted it and the end result looks great. The tracks look to fit perfectly.

Jim

Thread: How I paint leather SBS
20/02/2017 16:27:23

Hi John

That's it - you have been misleading us all the time. You stunning work is nothing to do with your skill but is all down to furniture wax face 20 smile p

Seriously the results are superb, we expect nothing more from you, and the SBS is most helpful.

Must go and put furniture wax on the shopping list. face 22

Thanks

Jim

Thread: An Apology....
20/02/2017 16:20:08

Hi Andy

I think you make a lot of sense. There are a few on the forum who only use it to show case their own work. In my opinion they are not really part of this community and by not posting support, encouragement and advice for others are missing out on the joy of MilMod.

Having said that there is so much going on that it is impossible to comment on all the threads that deserve it. We all need to accept that there are going to be times when we just have no time to post and if one of our threads doesn't get a lot of comment it is not because our friends on the forum aren't supportive. It is more likely that they are simply very pressed for time.

Don't worry Andy - we understand. Look after your health and give your little helper a stroke from me.

Jim

Thread: Sd.Kfz.231
20/02/2017 16:10:21

Hi Sjors

A very nice, neat build. I will be interested to see how this painting approach works.

Jim

Thread: Hussar
20/02/2017 16:08:18

Hi Mike

I can see why you are back with your first love. He looks great. Has he had a finishing coat of varnish?

Jim

Thread: experiments with chipping fluids
20/02/2017 16:06:21

Sab - I doubt the top coat would be totally stable even after a long time for complete drying. I have just rewetted mine and although it was much less fragile it did still chip back. I think you would have to seal it. I am not sure whether an enamel top coat would chip OK but I will be interested in how you get on.

Joe - I like the stuff. The big advantage for me over hairspray is it is consistent. I think you are right about adding a satin coat. One thing it would do is it would avoid the top coat from staining the base coat, which is something that happened to me. I will certainly add that satin coat in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

Jim

Thread: Sapper next
20/02/2017 15:57:28

Hi Mike

I know nothing of these Napoleonic figures and yet I think they look stunning painted, probably because of the bright colours. WW1 onward tends to be all browny/greeny/grey - not exciting.

Jim

Thread: Acrylic Exercise No2
20/02/2017 15:54:14

Hi Mike

I think all you figure painters develop there own methods and favoured paints. I know some use oils over an acrylic base as you are doing here and get excellent results. The hardest thing I find with acrylics is the blending. Oils blend nicely but I usually over blend and loose contrast. I am not a figure painter dont know

Jim

20/02/2017 15:49:30

Hi Simon

I do like that gun and after you have worked your scratching magic it will look great. You mentioned before about the varying quality of the Zvezda figures - I hope these are OK.

Jim

20/02/2017 15:45:35

Hi Nick

Just no stopping you. That cockpit looks great with the figures. Clever idea with the rigging. If the brass is secure there will be no problems with the stress from the rigging. Chipping back the whitewash will be like Christmas thumbs up

Jim

Thread: Tamiya Machine Gun Crew
20/02/2017 15:41:19

Hi Peter

They are very nice figures. They actually look as if they are carrying weight. Your superb painting takes them to another level.

Jim

Thread: Taking some time off
20/02/2017 15:38:02

Hi Simon

Fate has certainly loaded up your share of bad fortune. I am glad Stan is OK with the loss of the leg although sad to hear that the cancer is still there. All you can do it give him love, comfort and security and when the time comes to do right by your friend.

I hope your health issues are resolved. I don't think the medical profession realise just how stressful the waiting for news can be.

It must be very difficult dealing with the father in law's affairs. When my father died a few years ago he left everything in order and it made me think of my own situation and so now all my affairs are in order and my daughter has all the details she will need. Slightly morbid I know but it actually gives me peace of mind and reading your comment has confirmed I have done the right thing.

Take care Simon.

Jim

18/02/2017 11:40:13

Morning Simon

Clever method with the width indicators. Where on earth do you get 0.1mm wire that strong.

Jim

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ Feb 2017
Kingkit
Parabellum
HLJ Late Dec
Casemate
Howmans Books 2017
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest