By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for SimonT

Here is a list of all the postings SimonT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Just a Little Bit of Fun
18/02/2018 10:25:11

Hi Steve,

Matchbox kits were the only make sold by our local shop when I was much younger so I made lots of them

The Stuart and Humber a/c were always my favourites - built lots. Still have a few in the stash

Been a while since I built one but if I remember correctly it was always a tight fit between track and track guards at the front end so the guards benefit from thinning down

SimonT

Thread: Tamiya tape for curves
17/02/2018 16:49:41

Hi Jim,

Probably just stating the obvious - I watch quite a lot of car programs and whenever they paint curves the masking is always done with really narrow tape so they can easily get the curve. Wide tape and masking paper is then used outside of that to catch the over spray

SimonT

Thread: M26 Dragon wagon {PS}
16/02/2018 01:43:57

Coming on a treat Scottie thumbs up

SimonT

Thread: British Armoured Car by RODEN No.734 in 1:72 (RAF100GB)
16/02/2018 01:41:11

Well done Steve thumbs up

SimonT

Thread: Braille Scale 2018 {ST}
16/02/2018 01:39:49

Thanks everyone - so far nothing I have thrown at it will shift the slimy sticky paint coating

The Dettol seems to have seriously affected the composition of the original paint - it won't wash off but as soon as I touch it I get coated in dark grey. The nail brush will never be the same again face 10

May have to try Scotties idea of oven cleaner next - that is usually made from fairly obnoxious chemicals thumbs up face 20

What fun

I think it would have been cheaper to just buy a new kit considering how much stuff I have thrown at it

SimonT

15/02/2018 03:08:44

I think this could finally have come to an end

The FPS wasn't doing too well but I remembered someone mentioned using Dettol - just happened to have a new bottle of the stuff so dunked the train in it

Interesting reaction - dissolved the paint into a slimy grey coating

Managed to get some off but still lots left

Now sat in FPS mixed with Mr Muscle bathroom cleaner to see if it can remove the slime

Thread: Spray booth suggestion
15/02/2018 02:56:14

Mike,

have a look at this one -- LINK

SimonT

Thread: Airbrushing
14/02/2018 07:58:13

Hi Curt,

Have a look on ebay for medicine cups - they make great mixing pots for paint or casting resin

LINK

SimonT

11/02/2018 17:41:51

Sorry folks but it looks crap - even worse when trying to wash the rivets

There is such a build up of paint layers they merge into the shell and the Krycell whitewash just makes any wash run all over the place and soak in

So, back to the stripping tank - well, old ice cream tub and Fairy Power Spray

If all the gunk will clean off I shall give it another try as I need to get to grips with the white finishing

I have spent too many years building and note enough painting face 20

Time is even more limited so it may be a while.....

SimonT

Thread: AK True Metal
11/02/2018 17:36:41

Sounds like some stuff I bought from an art shop years ago - same consistency and also smelled a bit waxy

Never had a great deal of success with it but small amount over Matt black worked best

SimonT

Thread: 2 StuGs and a Sturm-Infanteriegeschz 33 B 1942/3 Stalingrad (JR )
10/02/2018 17:03:44

This is all looking very good John

SimonT

Thread: 1/12 Philippe Kieffer Bust by Mookies Minaitures
10/02/2018 16:58:49

Should paint up nicely Peter

Face looks good but strangely the battle dress collar is totally wrong - far too deep and completely missing the turn backs at the front (unless there are some extra pieces to add that we haven't seen)

SimonT

Thread: Aufkl Pz Wg P 204(f) plus a Strumgeschutz 111 Aust.E
10/02/2018 02:33:27

Hi Dave,

stug arrived the other day - generally looks quite nice

I see what you mean about the roof

The outer edges are ok but the inner edges seem to have been forgotten

I think I may be tempted to cut the hatches out and scratch replacements so that figures can be sat on top

If you don't fancy that then I think some careful scribing will be required - I use an Olfa P cutter

An eraser shield could be handy - small flexible stainless steel sheet with cut out shapes that could be used to guide the scribing tool. They cost a couple of quid. An old etch fret might also work as an alternative

SimonT

06/02/2018 07:01:05

John / Steve / Jim / John / Scottie

it all set off ok but.....

drai-043_2018-2-6.jpg
it has turned into this

in reality it is not quite so white - the camera has picked up on the white and made it stand out

Not really happy with it but can't be bothered stripping it again

SimonT

Thread: 2 StuGs and a Sturm-Infanteriegeschz 33 B 1942/3 Stalingrad (JR )
06/02/2018 06:03:30

PEWTER! thumbs upthumbs up

Obviously a lot more rubble to come but it is looking good

​SimonT

Thread: 1/35 to 1/72 scale military models
04/02/2018 14:22:28

Depends how far you want to take it Chris

ssgb-168_2017-03-09.jpg

This is my total rebuild of an Airfix 1/76 Sdkfz222 - over 600 parts added to the basic kit and most of the kit parts modified as well

SimonT

Thread: Armoured car carrier DTR(Podolsk Machine-building Plant)
04/02/2018 11:53:00

Hi Dave,

Like a lot of these railcars it is bonkers looking

Replacing the steps and handles with wire is a definite improvement and the aerial turned out very well

I guess the etch makes up for the lack of finesse with their plastic moulding and lifts the detail - the side grilles especially benefit from being done this way

Not sure if it is just the photo angle or not but a couple of the buffer end plates look slightly on the wonk

You just need to give it one of your excellent paint jobs now

SimonT

Thread: British Armoured Car by RODEN No.734 in 1:72 (RAF100GB)
04/02/2018 10:26:43

Looking good Steve

Well done on the masking - I think I would have tried it freehand to avoid the hassle! I never have much success with masking

SimonT

Thread: Aufkl Pz Wg P 204(f) plus a Strumgeschutz 111 Aust.E
04/02/2018 10:15:43

Count me in Dave

I bought that Stug earlier this morning from the Hannants sale section along with the BT you recently did (hmm, and a few other things as well) so especially interested

The quality of the smaller / limited run manufacturers kits does leave a bit to be desired but usually nothing some basic modelling can't sort out

SimonT

02/02/2018 06:20:36

Jim - sounds an odd idea. If they are rub down why not just rub down on the model?

John - don't think it ever saw combat either

Not had much time again recently but finally got a few minutes last night

The paint had set so wouldn't peel with water, had to use X20 thinner to soften it

drai-039_2018-2-2.jpg
drai-040_2018-2-2.jpg
drai-041_2018-2-2.jpg
drai-042_2018-2-2.jpg
results were a bit variable

in some places it took off too much white and green and the black primer is showing through so some touching up will be required

also the white took on a bit of a green hue so a bit of dry brushing with off white could be needed here and there

might not look too bad with a bit more work

then I just need to find some time to do the engine.....

SimonT

Edited By SimonT on 02/02/2018 06:21:06

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ February
Expo Tools July 14
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Parabellum
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest