By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Alpine minis Gebirgsjaeger 1/16.

acrylic blending.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
david pickford 117/06/2017 16:45:21
3729 forum posts
2648 photos

Andy thanks! 2 years is a long time in modelling!

Durk- your models would stand up to close scrutiny! There is a development to our previous exchange. In April I went to the sword and lance show and Jaume Ortiz himself was there doing a demo. I went for the meal on Saturday and plonked myself down next to him so I could earwig him about his methods. He's a very nice guy from Barcelona and works as a theatre designer. Interestingly he distances himself from the methods and models in the fallschirmjaeger book which he thinks are a bit crude! He says 'that was 10 years ago!'

MIKE DURNFORD 117/06/2017 17:23:16
116 forum posts
63 photos

David...... a lovely model my friend very well executed....... the boots and putties are ace ...mike

Durk17/06/2017 17:47:53
1349 forum posts
661 photos
Posted by david pickford 1 on 17/06/2017 16:45:21:

Interestingly he distances himself from the methods and models in the fallschirmjaeger book which he thinks are a bit crude! He says 'that was 10 years ago!'

Makes me wonder how he does his blending now than?

DIRK

david pickford 117/06/2017 17:52:24
3729 forum posts
2648 photos

He uses a stippling technique that is taking over the figure painting world...

david pickford 118/06/2017 08:56:02
3729 forum posts
2648 photos

Mike I didn't respond there apologies. The mountain boots are a striking feature of the figure. Glad you like!

jimbo18/06/2017 09:45:27
13021 forum posts
2425 photos

Hi David

Looks excellent to me and the blending is very smooth. When blending acrylics does the weather make a difference - thinking of the current very hot spell.

Stippling the blend is an interesting idea. I know it is a different process when using oils but I remember Carl explaining that to blend a transition using oils he stippled the blend with a clean brush. The difficulty there was to create a smooth blend within a small area. I suppose when stippling an acrylic blend it is important to keep the blended area small.

Ahh - so much to learn!! face 20

Jim

david pickford 118/06/2017 10:38:12
3729 forum posts
2648 photos

It wasn't so nice in blackburn yesterday, but I can see that warm conditions would accelerate the already fast acrylic drying times yet further Jim. Thus I suppose the need to blend by over painting thin layers rather than the smudging used by oil and enamel painters. I have seen oil painters stippling adjacent colour areas to blend, so that rings true. However what I refer to here is the new rage of texturing skin fabric etc by stippling multiple dots of colour to break up the surface area rather than the super smooth approach. Mike Butler from New Zealand is the best example of this and he has posted here...

Wouter19/06/2017 15:19:00
5564 forum posts
2153 photos

Nice finish there David, already saw it on FB, but glad to see it finished now with the roundel changed to a button on the cap. Really like how this one turned out. And as with you and the fellas I'm - besides MJ - a big fan of Jaume's work. Just crazy how one can achieve those results ey.

Didn't spot any brushstrokes on the photos too, guess a lot of us are overly critical towards our own work I reckon smile.

Cheers

Taesung Harmms19/06/2017 20:04:24
273 forum posts

The figure came out nicely! Congrats!!!

david pickford 122/06/2017 08:49:51
3729 forum posts
2648 photos

Wouter- thanks. Actually there's a 2 year gap between upper and lower body so I wonder if there's a noticeable difference in style or technique? Probably not.

Taesung, thanks. I only realised half way through this is not one of your sculptures. Well up to the usual alpine standard though!

Edited By david pickford 1 on 22/06/2017 08:50:17

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ June 2017
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Battlegate
Parabellum
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest