Articles

Sean's Whirlwind...

Sean's Whirlwind...

...photos of the completed build United Kingdom - World War 2

Sean Emmott10/10/2015 09:59:26
2212 forum posts
4372 photos
3 articles

It seems incredible, but for a long time in the late 1930's the Air Ministry expected the core of RAF fighter command to be formed from Squadrons of Whirlwinds as the Spitfire was not regarded as a likely success.

However, the Whirlwind used Rolls Royce's Peregrine engine, and this engine suffered significant difficulties in development, so the first operational squadron to receive Whirlwinds (263 Sqn) did not get them until July 1940. By this time Rolls Royce production had moved from the Peregrine to the legendary Merlin: many aircraft used the Merlin, only the Whirlwind used the Peregrine. Consequently, although the Whirlwind was robust, heavily armed and popular with pilots, only 112 were built before the type was withdrawn and replaced by the Hawker Typhoon in November 1943.

I've always been attracted to unusual and lesser known aircraft, and the Whirlwind, with its bulging engine nacelles and high tailplane fits that bill. Trumpeter have recently a 1/48 kit of this aircraft, but previously the only option was from Classic Airframes. This is a multimedia kit with plastic, resin and etch. There are marking options for two aircraft, one of which features a white nose and black and white ring bands which were specifically added for the Dieppe Raid in August 1942. I plan to build this aircraft, but as it was in June 1942 before the Dieppe markings were added.

This will be the third Classic Airframes kit I've built after the Fairey Battle

battle 039.jpg

and the Boulton-Paul Defiant

defiant 001.jpg

The former was quite a challenging build, but the Defiant was very enjoyable, and no more of a challenge than some old Airfix kits I've built.

Being limited run kits, the plastic is slightly softer than more mainstream kits, and the gates attaching parts to the runner thicker. Surface detail is good, however. More detailed parts, including the interior, are resin. Belts and very fine details are etched and the undercarriage from white metal.

ww sprue 001.jpg

ww sprue 002.jpg

ww sprue 003.jpg

ww sprue 004.jpg

I have a set of Barracuda aftermarket wheels, but won't use them in the blog as I hope to enter the model in the OOB category at Telford if a) I finish it in time and b) make a good enough job of it!

The decals look good. My experience of Classic Airframes decals is that they go on very well and react perfectly with Micro Set and Micro Sol. However, you'll note the roundels on the Defiant were printed slightly off register.

whirlwind decals.jpg

beerbeer

Sean

Tim Marlow10/10/2015 10:31:35
1211 forum posts
1015 photos

Hi Sean

Really looking forward to this one. I have the Trumpeter kit in the stash, so the comparison will be interesting. This is one of my favourite "also rans" . I have always thought that if this had made squadron status by the Battle of Britain the Germans would have given up much earlier as the armament would have torn the bomber streams to ribbons. By the time it was fully operational its day had unfortunately gone and the engine used left no room for development.

Cheers

Tim

Robin Buckland10/10/2015 10:56:34
15502 forum posts
56527 photos
5253 articles

Hi Sean,

A nice choice of subject, I look forward to seeing this one come together. thumbs up

Robin smile

Ossian10/10/2015 11:22:31
133 forum posts
132 photos

Oooh, a non whirlybird Whirlwind.... goody!

Looking forward to following this as I have the Trumpeter kit in my stash

Andy Claesens10/10/2015 11:28:49
10928 forum posts
9785 photos
16 articles

Count me in Sean. A great choice.thumbs up

What scale is it as your header says 1/35th?

Andybeer

Scottie10/10/2015 13:13:08
5524 forum posts
784 photos
1 articles

Hi Sean,

I have always liked this plane, and look forward to following the build.

Scottie

Sean Emmott10/10/2015 15:16:53
2212 forum posts
4372 photos
3 articles

Thank you for all the comments, gents. I hadn't expected so much interest in a blog of a comparatively obscure aeroplane!

I have been working on the cockpit pieces. Painted with Mr Color Aircraft Grey-Green, then details picked out with Vallejo acrylics. Then parts were dry brushed with Humbrol enamel silver, then washed with a a 50:50 mix of burnt umber : black oils.

ww 002.jpg

beerbeer

Sean

Ross Moore12/10/2015 07:19:28
5708 forum posts
1029 photos

Sean

Cockpit looks very nice. Will be watching the rest come together.

cheers

Rossco

Richard Foenander14/10/2015 04:53:44
3593 forum posts
4525 photos

Hi Sean,

The Whirlwind was one of my favourites as well. Yet to get the Trumpeter kit.

Your earlier Classic Airframe builds are terrific and so shall be this one. Looking forward to more.

Cheers,

Richard

Mike Wilkinson14/10/2015 06:34:08
549 forum posts
411 photos

Good news that Airfix are to produce a 1/48 Defiant in the New Year.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ Oct
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest