Diorama construction of this steam behemoth with battle damage

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Blaubar25/12/2016 07:40:15
889 forum posts
666 photos
1 articles

Thanks Peter for your kind words.

Our tree survived the evening and did not go up in flames, no candle ignited it^^. I hope all of you had a wonderful evning and to those who celebrate on the 25th, enjoy the day today. In Germany, all is over now.

weihnachten1.jpg

weihnachten2.jpg

/Stefan

Allen Dewire25/12/2016 08:09:44
1347 forum posts
953 photos

Stefan, Frohe Weinachten aus OberFranken...Wir Sind nicht Bayerische....Wir Sind Franken! Bier ist unser specialitaet aber wein ist auch gut. Mein Geschenk von eine Kunde in Bad Durkheim...Schoene Pfalzer wein!

Ich wunsche Dir alles gute und viel spass!!!

image.jpg

Hmmmm, Die Luna Rosee war lecker......

Prost

Allen

Blaubar25/12/2016 11:41:47
889 forum posts
666 photos
1 articles

Prost Allen,

I know, ihr Franken seid stolz, aber you are still in Bavaria :D Enjoy your Frankenbier!

Der Riesling wird besser als der Luna Rosee, trust me, had it a while ago in Speyer.

Drink on my Franke, Goose time.

/Stefan

Blaubar04/01/2017 18:20:53
889 forum posts
666 photos
1 articles

Happy New Modelling Year!

Pretty awesome what you guys have accomplished so far here in the last days. I failed to get any stuff done, except for another paint layer and last fixings to the tender and a few frame rivets. As such, I put the things together to have a look at it.

198.jpg

199.jpg

Here a frame view

202.jpg

I have no nice little green box as others, I just take crappy photos along the way, it takes too much time preparing them and moving stuff around, so my background always kind of suckslaugh.

Just ordered my new model for the GB, I changed the kit I'll use.

/Stefan

Steve Jones 1206/01/2017 19:43:27
3461 forum posts
8720 photos

Stefan

Indeed there is great deal happening on the site at the moment. I struggle to find the time to comment and build as well. I have quite a lot of catching up to do tonightsmiley.

Its nice to see what the build is starting to look like. How much more do you think you have to do to get to painting stage?

Steve

David Hewkin07/01/2017 14:15:24
213 forum posts
347 photos

Happy New Year Stefan!

Like you I got nothing done over the festive season, and my bench is currently inaccessible as we have builders in.

Its looking pretty impressive now, and I am really looking forward to seeing it completed this year.

David

Blaubar09/01/2017 07:11:07
889 forum posts
666 photos
1 articles

Totally missed those things yesterday... David, your fault^^, you made me too excited about your 1/72 project! Hopefully the mail man/woman will deliver super soon! Not sure about this year... Are you getting the Big ED kit, too?

I just handed my notice to quit my current job and too long office hours in front of the computer. Might give me some extra time needed, but 2020 will be a better goal I think^^.

Steve, I will try and get some more frame-work done and should then be able to paint the lower frame part (as soon as I get the fire box mounts and other frame interiors finished). As there are so many gaps, hidden parts etc I will need to paint it in dozens of stages I think. I will start contacting people who have built the kit and see how they went on painting it. I need to do some Diesel research first though, more pressure with this GB thingy now. doing some catch-up work in the forum now, too!

/Stefan

Blaubar11/01/2017 14:18:02
889 forum posts
666 photos
1 articles

Hey,
a quicky before returning to the tiny stuff... I felt that I had to rip apart the frame again...

*1)
Vs:

The whole shape is wrong

The above design is for out the plate frame, my reference picture of Sinsheim is a bar frame, so the position of the support structure is further on the inside, this does not matter to us though. It just shows how the general shape should look like.

The smoke box support structure lost, it has been cut away. Now some holes need to be drilled into the "floor" panel (grey part) and I will also need to remove more frame side parts. Then a vertical cut to the rear of the support structure with a power saw will be needed, to separate the front section completely and then the whole thing will be rebuilt anew. (I hope this won't destroy the kit . I will try to dismount the cylinder support brackets and cut where they are located, as it will be invisible later and require less fixing^^ as I am a lazy man.

I will reuse the top, which I had already modified, but will modify further, to adjust to the corrected radius of the smoke box. Thanks for looking in. I hope the frame will survive intact tonight's bash.

Cheers,
/Stefan

*1) Russian manual see sources above, 1= BR 52 4181 2= BR 52 7596 3= BR 52 4830

Edited By Stefan Blaubar on 11/01/2017 14:22:13

Laura Ann Peters11/01/2017 18:33:05
32 forum posts
37 photos

Looking good Stefan,

making some good pregress

Blaubar18/01/2017 09:01:38
889 forum posts
666 photos
1 articles

Well, the 1/72 hurt my eyes and as such, I did some large scale research^^.

Targets were the frame, strange pipes, the driver's cabin and whatever I spotted in the (often before quoted) propaganda movie.

I was wondering about this pipe here in the front for some time, but to some extent, I have solved the riddle. It is only present on engines with the advanced frost protection (yellow crosses in the following pictures), however, not on all of them, as on some the pipe is below the boiler's belly! 

red arrows showing the steam pipe vs no steam pipe and in the front they do point to the chimney cover (Only 100% sign of advanced frost protection)

Also notice that when no advanced frost protection was present, the steam-feeding pipe towards the compressor sometimes went along the boiler's right side as indicated by a red arrow in the above picture... 

While the BR50 had 2 water level indicators, the 52 only had one on the left and some manual thing on the right-hand side... Also notive the 2x3 grease pumps in addition to the automatic Bosch grease pump discussed earlier.

Notice the thin arrow to the very right... Trumpeter, Voyager and all have a hole on both frame support sides there, they did never exist though, only on the right hand side were there sparrings, not on the left. 

And in case ypu need to turn on the lights, here are the 4 switches, behind the 5 hand crank wheels to adjust the steam flow to various targets (next post):

Have a good one,

/Stefan

Edited By Stefan Blaubar on 18/01/2017 09:17:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Parabellum
HLJ Oct
Expo Tools July 14
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest