By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

120mm Figure Recycling -an Ongoing Project.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Day 106/01/2017 21:01:27
4879 forum posts
1465 photos

Hi Steve

Believe it or not I'm beginning to run out of recyclable stuff. I've got four or five set up, then it's a question of looking in the cabinet and seeing if any more are due for a make-over.

Peter.

Peter Day 107/01/2017 14:10:29
4879 forum posts
1465 photos

Hi

I've been working on the second Ardennes figure, Dragon's Hansen Kampfgrupper:

008.jpg011.jpg

This one sat in the Flash for 24 hours, but for some reason I was able to get very little paint off. I sanded down some of the rough areas, then gave it a coat of matt black, and luckily it looks OK to paint. I had used his head on the SS Schutz (above), but decided to re-unite his various parts. For that reason I gave the Schutz the head from the sniper and dumped the sniper, which was a rotten figure anyway:

007.jpg

I think I prefer this version - more character.

Peter.

Peter Day 107/01/2017 14:19:19
4879 forum posts
1465 photos

I've also finished the Ardennes tanker:

003.jpg002.jpg006.jpg

Quite interesting working on a mix of Tamiya and Dragon parts. The jacket, which was Dragon, had far less detail than the Tamiya parts, and for that reason I decided to do the trousers in field grey to really try some add some drama to the drapery.

I had given the left hand a flare gun to hold, but since it looked awkward on the figure, I gave him a map (printed from the internet) instead.

He's on a temporary base, until I decided on the final layout.

Peter.

John Race07/01/2017 14:30:30
5039 forum posts
1108 photos

Afternoon Peter ,

The maps foulds really make this for me , that little touch with the pages slightly open .thumbs up

John .

Peter Day 107/01/2017 14:36:28
4879 forum posts
1465 photos

Hi John.

Well, I didn't really do anything special with the map, just printed it out, cut it to size and folded it. I put it loose in his hand, which helped it fall open a bit.

Peter.

Scottie07/01/2017 14:37:52
5178 forum posts
743 photos
1 articles

Peter,

​Excellent work, amongst all the figures you have posted he is without doubt my favourite and as John said the map is a great touch. Very well done indeed mate.

Scottie

David Hewkin07/01/2017 14:44:40
181 forum posts
304 photos

Hi Peter,

Another amazing job - not surprised that you are starting to run out of figures, your work rate is extraordinary!

Sorry the 1/72 stuff did not appeal, the problem with most 1/72 figures is that they are really designed for wargaming and not necessarily painting, which is why many wargamers prefer 28mm, the dumpiness allows for undercuts and additional detail you would not get otherwise, and flash is unfortunately very common place.

I am sure you would turn out great figures at any scale, so heres hoping you give it a go.

David

Peter Day 107/01/2017 14:56:01
4879 forum posts
1465 photos

Scottie - many thanks mate. I'm pleased that this one has worked out. All of the parts had been knocking around in the spares box for some time and I didn't think I'd ever use them. It was just a casual 'what if 'moment that started me off.

David - many thanks also. I probably will have a go at the 1/72 Finnish figures, but to be honest, I'm not sure if my poor old eyes are up to it. Also, the amount of clean-up they require is a bit off-putting, especially as most of the faces have mould lines running through them.

Peter.

Steve Jones 1207/01/2017 19:06:20
2672 forum posts
5687 photos

Peter

I'm with Scottie on this one. Outstanding. A few questions though. Is the map plastic/resin or paper; around the back of his neck - is that part of the binoculars strap; the cigarette is that part of the moulding or your addition? Thanks in advance

Steve

Peter Day 107/01/2017 19:14:31
4879 forum posts
1465 photos

Thanks Steve

The map is paper - just straight from the printer. Should last a couple of years, but I may varnish it.

The thing at the back of his neck is a lens cap for the binoculars. It slid up and down the strap. On my previous dio there are examples with it in place on the lens.

The hand is by Dragon and comes with a notch for a cigarette. This one came from Jay and I assume the cig is stretched sprue.

Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ June 2017
Battlegate
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest