By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

120mm Figure Recycling -an Ongoing Project.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Day 110/01/2017 14:29:47
3967 forum posts
929 photos

Thank you Jim - I enjoy doing the drapery the most these days, though do find it incredibly difficult.

I've started on the next figure for the dio:

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

This may not work out, but I'm trying to make this old Dragon figure look as if he could be in the Ardennes. I'm going to give him the Verlinden head with the fur cap and he'll be wearing gloves, so hopefully he'll fit in. I've also removed the Wehrmacht insignia and given him Verlinden SS decals to again help him fit with the others, and he'll be armed with an MP44.

I've manage to scrape together parts for one more figure after this, and the idea is that they'll be the remnants of an armoured division trying to regain their own lines on foot. We'll see......

Peter.

Peter Day 111/01/2017 14:40:05
3967 forum posts
929 photos

Right, this one's finished:

001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

I started with the head today - this is the third version of this particular one I've painted recently. As I was anxious about fitting the gun, I decided to crack on and get it finished, and although it was a bit fiddly, it went OK in the end.

I've put him on a temporary base, but the idea is that he'll be touching the arm of the officer in the dio - ''There, there Sir, don't worry. We've all got lost at some point in our careers.''

The next one is a real pic n mix affair.....

Peter.

Steve Jones 1211/01/2017 19:32:00
1880 forum posts
2722 photos

Peter

Another cracker mate. Very expressive facial features. Looking forward to seeing the officer

Steve

Andrew Belsey 211/01/2017 20:01:22
1404 forum posts
945 photos

Is he doing a Tommy Cooper impersonation - "just like that!" ? Either that or passing wind! You need to get that officer painted before my mind comes up with more crudities!!

Andy B

Peter Day 111/01/2017 20:24:09
3967 forum posts
929 photos

Steve - thanks. I was referring to the officer above, but I have changed my mind. See below.

Andy - thanks for that! Now go and sit in a quiet corner and try and have some pure thoughts.

This will be the fourth and last figure for the dio:

009.jpg008.jpg

This will be a tank commander wearing a camo smock and leather tanker's trousers. The original figures were Dragon's Handschar for the torso and their Peiper figure for the legs.

As the torso is wearing a rucksack harness, and as I've already used the rucksack on my Finnish figure, I've adapted a Verlinden US one, which though not totally accurate, looks close to examples I've seen on the internet. As I've already suggested, the group will represent the remnants of an armoured division trekking back to their own lines - hence the rag-tag appearance and mix of equipment.

He'll be holding binoculars in his left hand and a flare gun in his right - the previous figure will be touching his arm to suggest that he doesn't fire off any flares and give their position away. Anyway, that's the story.

Peter.

Peter Day 112/01/2017 14:05:43
3967 forum posts
929 photos

This is the result of today's work:

003.jpg004.jpg

The head is by Reedees and I'd forgotten that they can have quite lumpy surfaces - they look perfectly smooth to start with, but the paint seems to uncover a lot of uneven areas. I nearly abandoned it, but decided to see it through to the end. It'll do. The cap is a Verlinden spare.

I've also painted most of his gear:

006.jpg

This is a mix of Verlinden, Dragon and Tamiya stuff. I haven't done any varnishing yet, but will wait until it's mounted on the figure. I was going to do the hands today, but the light went early - snow on it's way.

Peter.

Evan Martin 112/01/2017 14:15:45
829 forum posts
400 photos

Excellent work Peter, You get the most convincing field grey tones out there, your flesh tones with 12 o'clock shadow... brilliant!

ev

Stefan Blaubar12/01/2017 14:21:10
797 forum posts
666 photos
1 articles

Peter,

as always, very fabulously painted figures. I lost count on your output though I bet Verlinden and whoever else will go bankrupt once you stop painting their figures due to a shock in their demand curvelaugh

/Stefan

Peter Day 112/01/2017 14:48:26
3967 forum posts
929 photos

Ev - many thanks, but when you've got Vallejo Model Color Field Grey to rely on, it's not too difficult. I usually give my faces stubble to help articulate the contours of the face - it doubles as shadow.

Stefan - glad you like the figures. Well, unfortunately Verlinden have ceased trading and I don't think Dragon or Tamiya have produced a new 1/16 figure for years. There are other manufacturers of 120mm and 1/16 out there, but they do tend to be quite expensive. I may just keep on endlessly recycling!

Peter.

Mike C12/01/2017 15:14:44
84 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Peter and a belated Happy New Year to you. I have not been posting due to Christmas, work and moving home but I have been dipping in and out catching up.

Great work as usual, the cap and the badges above as well as the flesh tones are superb.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ Feb 2017
Kingkit
Parabellum
HLJ Late Dec
Casemate
Howmans Books 2017
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest