By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The Italian Job - Tamiya M40/75-18 Semovente

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Jones 1208/01/2017 22:06:31
3461 forum posts
8720 photos

Hi Everyone

Peter - Its just artistic license based on the myriad of information I have taken in over these last 18 months. I now have a set process on when to do things and I am practising on each build to hopefully one day complete a build that I am totally happy with. Many thanks

Wouter - Good point well madelaugh

I have managed to finish the gun. I am very pleased with the final look. I took on board everyone's advice and didnt do any chipping and it certainly blends in well with the rest of the interior

img_4886.jpg

img_4887.jpg

img_4888.jpg

Here it is in place. Its a shame you cant see much of itface 20

img_4889.jpg

img_4891.jpg

This meant I could now put the turret, the lower half and the upper half all together. What a disaster! It was by far the worst fit ever. A lot of trimming and sanding in the dry fit stage. Also once dry there will be a lot of filling needed. Certain areas wouldnt hold so super glue was needed. There will be a lot of cleaning to be done once all driedteeth

img_4892.jpg

Thanks for watching

Steve

ec090d563397d7f0144f28b633272b10.jpg

(Photo for discussion purposes only)

Jim Barry08/01/2017 22:10:51
1116 forum posts
549 photos

Nice work on the gun, Steve. Wow. Might be a shame it's hidden but thanks to the forum it gets a little bit of time in the sun. I like that a lot about the forum as so much of our work just goes unseen and unknown without it.

Marty Elliott09/01/2017 01:35:46
175 forum posts
357 photos

Hi Steve...following as usual from the back row and am mightily impressed with the interior detailing and painting...I would have imagined that the heat dust and dirt of that environment would soon take its toll on the fixtures and fittings both on the exterior and the interior...I know what the inside of my car looks like a week after I've cleaned it! The surgery looked a bit daunting ..I get nervous cutting off a rivet...but looking back at the pics of the real tank it will make a big difference to the appearance and was definitely worth the effort...sterling workthumbs upmate..

Cheers....Marty

Steve Jones 1211/01/2017 20:14:02
3461 forum posts
8720 photos

Hi Everyone

Jim - Hear hear! I was tempted to close it all up as I want to do the white identification circle on top of the hatches but It does look quite goodwink

Marty - I'm glad you like it mate. The more I look at it the happier I am. I wish I hadnt done the operation as you are about to seeembarrassed

Well the last few days have been an absolute nightmare and the hits keep on coming. I think I will be doing an OOB build next time aroundlaugh. Despite all the problems I am still really enjoying this build and having a lot of fun.

As I stated earlier the three main components didnt go together well. When I looked at it the following day there were areas that did not stick so this had to be rectified.

img_4897.jpg

Then there had to be a lot of filling

img_4898.jpg

img_4899.jpg

Then the next day a lot of this had cracked. It seems putty is not good for long deep gaps. So I redid some of it and finished off the filling with proper filler

img_4900.jpg

Then the next day was the cleaning up process. No matter how hard I tried I just couldnt sand it all smooth without loosing the rivets. This meant a lot of replacement rivets

img_4915.jpg

img_4916.jpg

Once all the sanding had been done a good clean up with steel wool was done and finished off with a good wash. The final look isnt great but it is a vast improvement. I hope once painted and some strategically placed weathering we should be okaycheeky.

During the rigorous cleaning stage the gun came unstuckangry

img_4911.jpg

With the top of the turret fixed there was no way it could be put back correctly. So after a few "alterations" I have it back in place but it can no longer movelaugh. I hope it looks okay

img_4913.jpg

So after all that I have finally finished Section 5

Edited By Steve Jones 12 on 11/01/2017 20:17:05

Steve Jones 1211/01/2017 20:14:45
3461 forum posts
8720 photos

The next Section 6 deals with adding detail to the upper hull. First however some scratcherywink. As you can see from this photo there are metal plates on the steps and a ridge around the mudgurads.

maxresdefault.jpg

This has been replicated using tin foil and styrene strip cut to size

img_4919.jpg

img_4903.jpg

img_4905.jpg

I was pleased with the result. The Royal kit included a rivet band to cover the join at the back. It had to be cut to fit. The jury is still out on how good this Royal kit is

img_4907.jpg

The fuel filler cap and tool holders were done. While cleaning the holders they split so I have left them for a minute and will come back to them later

img_4908.jpg

Steve Jones 1211/01/2017 20:15:14
3461 forum posts
8720 photos

The side boxes were not that great in the Royal kit so I used the Tamiya ones and adapted them to take on the PE latches and hinges

img_4921.jpg

Then came another problem for another day. How to tidy this upcrying 2

img_4924.jpg

Next were the side exhausts. These were done using the resin Royal ones plus part of the Tamiya kit as instructed. What an absolute pig they have been to put together. After three attempts at the second one I have decided to leave well alone and try again tomorrow. This is how the first one has turned out

img_4925.jpg

Thanks for the support guys. It helps me through the dark timessmiley

Steve

french_troops_ausonia_italy_1944.1o1ia2ssik2s0g0gck4gc88kc.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpeg

Edited By Steve Jones 12 on 11/01/2017 20:18:58

Evan Martin 111/01/2017 20:48:52
846 forum posts
417 photos

Steve, It's really looking the business. It's a shame you don't see more of your beautiful interior. I've never made this kit, although it shares many common parts with the M13/40. It looks like the same issues plague both kits. The cut down fenders look excellent, a more common feature on mid production M13/40 and Semovente. I'm scratch building an M11/39 at the moment and it's been inspiring to catch up on your thread. Only 243 hours to go...haha

ev

Peter Day 111/01/2017 20:59:58
5736 forum posts
1408 photos

You're really going for it with this one Steve - outstanding work.

Peter.

Lee11/01/2017 21:48:49
1011 forum posts
296 photos

Hi Steve

Just catching up on peoples builds. Excellent work on the interior a nice build of a rarely seen model. The extras make it shine that little brighter.

Regards Lee

joe strenko13/01/2017 00:02:44
521 forum posts
516 photos

Steve, just checked back in on the Italian job... looks like you've made great progress... keep your chin up and don't let them pesky rivets get in the way of some fantastic work... really enjoying the show.

👍👍Joe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Parabellum
HLJ Oct
Expo Tools July 14
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest