By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ardennes Diorama - "Close Call"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Belsey 211/01/2017 18:02:05
1440 forum posts
945 photos

Welcome Josh. You'll fit in nicely here - great work and thanks for the tip about the firesand!

Andy B

Scottie11/01/2017 18:55:23
4818 forum posts
718 photos
1 articles

Josh,

​A warm welcome to MM, I like what you have done so far and will follow along.

Scottie

Steve Jones 1211/01/2017 19:28:53
2092 forum posts
3033 photos

Josh

Welcome to the mad house. I am really interested in stage by stage blogs as I learn a lot. Thanks for sharing it with us and I am looking to see what comes next. Well done sir

Steve

Josh Harris11/01/2017 20:06:55
24 forum posts

Thank you everyone for the encouraging comments and i am glad to hear that some of my tips are of use to you, will hopefully have a post up with in the next few days, unfortunately i am a university student and i am trying squeeze in time whenever i can, the veneer has arrived today and will have that up soon, all the best.

Josh

Kgbow12/01/2017 22:31:36
29 forum posts
13 photos

Looking good Josh! Can't wait to see it in person!

john hutton13/01/2017 12:56:36
3753 forum posts
1504 photos

Hi Josh,

Hello and welcome to MilMod, top lads one and all thumbs up. Looks like you have the makings of a terrific Dio there sir, love the legs doing a knee`s up Mother Brown, footprints can so easily be overlooked . That chimney cement looks interesting wink 2.

John.

Josh Harris15/01/2017 00:23:12
24 forum posts

Evening Folks,
Now that I've had a day off and the walnut veneer has arrived I could crack on with the next step. I apply the veneer at this stage in the dio so I can carry on working on the painting and ground cover, but I can't do this until the veneer is applied and trimmed, otherwise the top edge of the veneer will be visible and will reduce the "cut away" effect, so it will need to be done now. The veneer I am using is wood backed 0.6mm walnut.

I began by measuring the length of the diorama and trimming the veneer to size, after that using a pencil I traced around the ground work to get the shape before scoring along the pencil line with knife until I cut through the veneer.

Those of you that are familiar with traditional veneer application may cringe at my way of adhering it to the diorama. I needed a fast drying strong glue and so I used the two part resin epoxy that I had spare from building the box, smoothed it on the plywood surface using a flat piece of plastic card and quickly aligned the veneer before using a clean paint scraper to apply pressure.

I just repeated the process all the way around making sure to trim the edges where the corners meet for a good finish. More pictures will be up soon of the last part of this stage, again thank you all for the welcome and I hope you're enjoying this post.

Josh Harris15/01/2017 00:24:15
24 forum posts

Along side the construction of the diorama I am current working on the US airborne trooper, I've had to use multiple parts from different kits to get the pose I wanted and will be sculpting parts of him, I just wanted to ask everyone if you would like to see the development of the figure in a separate thread? If not I can post his progression here along side the rest of
the diorama.

Cheers chaps,
Josh

Mike DURNFORD15/01/2017 12:16:46
947 forum posts
53 photos

Josh laugh lots of things going on there to keep you busy.....but excellent work coming on in leaps and bounds....super mikeyes

Ian Robinson16/01/2017 15:10:55
10513 forum posts
1478 photos

This is a tidy base, very nice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
HLJ Feb 2017
Casemate
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ Mar 2017
Parabellum
Battlegate
Howmans Books 2017
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest