By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

1/35 HobbyBoss Panzer IV/70 (A)

reboxed Tristar Model

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Dave Ward14/02/2017 16:01:49
2429 forum posts
2294 photos

Engine deck...................hmmmm 21 parts so far ( should be 25, but I missed off 4 hidden hinges! ). There are 17 additional fittings to add, tools, clamps, fire extinguisher etc - really over engineered!

engine hatch.jpg

The 4 posts are for mounting the spare road wheels - really delicate. I lost one rear hook to the carpet monster - made a wire replacement...

Dave

Dave Ward15/02/2017 12:31:22
2429 forum posts
2294 photos

Superstructure - flat plates, fitted together, with interlocking tabs, as in the real thing, just a little tight, but with a few strokes of a sanding stick, good fit.

superstructure.jpg

The gun has a full breech - over 30 parts!, but with closed hatches invisible. There is no interior fittings, so I hoped to skip the breech. Not possible, the periscopic sight that pokes through the roof, is mounted on the side of the breech, so minimum parts will be needed

Dave

Dave Ward16/02/2017 13:35:38
2429 forum posts
2294 photos

Gun breech - an assembly that will be totally invisible - but needed to locate the periscopic sight.

l70 gun.jpg

I have left off handwheels, levers etc...........

The superstructure is coming together - a dry fit shows a nice fit to the hull.

hull dry fit.jpg

It's apparent how tall the vehicle is, compared to the Panzer IV L70 (V). The structure was added to an unmodified Panzer IV chassis, a much simpler conversion than the (V) variant

Dave

Dave Ward17/02/2017 16:17:39
2429 forum posts
2294 photos

The assembly continues............

assy 01.jpg

assy 02.jpg

The next stage will be the mounts for the mesh schurzen. These are a mix of PE and plastic, and look fiddly, I might be some time...........

Dave

Dave Ward20/02/2017 13:23:06
2429 forum posts
2294 photos

What a can of worms!!!

instr 01.jpg

These 12 brackets mount on the fenders, and the pins on G-1 go through the mesh skirt, with 2 plates pn the outside.

Here are the bits

br4acket bits.jpg

Now, I found it impossible to assemble the bits in the instruction sequence, so I thought to glue the 2 plastic pieces to the fender, and add the PE afterwards.................................... I thought suddenly 'how good a fit are the pins on the bracket, and the mesh skirt?'

no fit.jpg

The answer is - not at all, the pins are too big, and the spacing is out!!

I am going to have to trim the pins off - add the brackets to the fenders, then when the mesh skirts are added, cover the missing pins with the securing plates - the mesh being superglued directly to the brackets.

The top rail for the mesh is added....at least this fit nicely!

top rail.jpg

I decided to call it a day early, if I go on at the moment, flying tanks will become a reality

Dave

Dave Ward21/02/2017 15:47:53
2429 forum posts
2294 photos

No real additions today - I've looked at the lower mesh brackets, and decided that they are really too flimsy, so I am going to fabricate new sturdier brackets, I don't think it will be visible through the mesh, as long as I don't go mad. I will be doing this shortly, but life interferes with benchtime!

Dave

SEAN DANIELS21/02/2017 19:36:34
12 forum posts

Good information about the Skirt Brackets. I just ordered this same Kit and was curious about the fit here. Luckily I have some leftover Edward brackets from another Panzer 4 project i used mesh skirts on....

John Race21/02/2017 19:49:04
5698 forum posts
1225 photos

Dave,

Good for you , It would have been a flying tank by now with me .

John .

Richard Pearce 121/02/2017 20:13:21
938 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Dave.
Looks a great build so far.Never seen one of these built up.Me panzer knowledge is limited.
Cheers.Richard
Dave Ward21/02/2017 20:29:06
2429 forum posts
2294 photos

Evening all,

I was thinking about how to paint the upper hull.....................its a hard edge 3 colour pattern, and it appears that the camo continued onto the mesh skirts, it will take a bit of nifty brush work ( and also to keep the mesh as clear as possible), but, paint before, or after fitting the skirts? That was one of the reasons I decided to make sturdier brackets............

So far I have used no filler, and I don't anticipate using any. The fit problem with the mesh skirts may stem from the fact that Tristar used a mesh sheet that you had to cut to a template, the HB boxing has a tailored etched sheet, but the holes are too small for the mounting pins. Even if it fitted, I still think the brackets are too fragile!

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Expo Tools July 14
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Parabellum
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest