By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Shenanigans16: Tamiya's Old Matilda II

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Day 113/02/2017 19:03:36
6590 forum posts
1991 photos

Thanks Jim - a Super-duper is very nice of you.

Much more reconciled to these now. I find that long painting sessions can put you on a level of intimacy with your work where it becomes almost impossible to stand back and view it objectively - I never learn.

However, I don't think I'm likely to buy another MB set. They're OK, and I'd say better than Dragon and Miniart (or at least on a par), but they do have shortcomings that compromise the finish. Having seen the discussion on ICM figures, I will definitely be having a look at those, but I think in future I'm going to stick to resin.

Peter.

John Race13/02/2017 19:53:23
7467 forum posts
1541 photos

Peter.

No you don't, smileyor see it either from our view, you often feel this way . I can honestly say you are "Simply the Best ".

End of.

All cheques to be sent by recorded delivery . Thank you .

John.

Peter Day 113/02/2017 20:02:52
6590 forum posts
1991 photos

Cheers John

Evoking Tina Turner in my name though! I saw her once, getting out of a taxi in Piccadilly - she's tiny.

Cheque on it's way.

Peter.

John Race13/02/2017 20:20:43
7467 forum posts
1541 photos

Ah, lucky you, saw here twice at the N.E.C. Great performer.

John .

Peter Day 114/02/2017 16:29:18
6590 forum posts
1991 photos

Oh Lordy, this one's killing me!

Here's the loader:

005.jpg

As you can see, this is quite a complicated figure in an awkward pose. I painted most of the dear separately this time, as I figured it was going to be fairly difficult to get at the clothing with it in place.

Then I went on to the Vickers. I used the tripod suggested by the instructions, but that proved too short, though fortunately there was another supplied, which was set higher. This wasn't quite right either, but by cutting away part of the handles I managed to get the gunner to hold it reasonably convincingly.

The next problem was that the ammo belt didn't reach far enough to meet up with the ammo box, which was poorly moulded anyway. I decided to fudge the issue by using a bigger one from the spares box and hiding the shortfall. The tube for the coolant was made from plastic coated wire.

I felt that it was best to assemble it all on the base;

006.jpg009.jpg

I then felt that, even though there are the fallen Germans to go on yet, there were some areas of the base that needed a little more interest, so it was back to smashing up bits of old stoneware in the garden.

Blimey.

Peter.

Wayne Harris 114/02/2017 17:33:02
332 forum posts
349 photos

Hi Peter

As always your work is looking impressive and can't wait to see the finished scene.

I'm not sure if it's taboo, however I was reading that a fine artists pen could be used to outline figures details?

Also could you tell me what pastels you use and where?

Many thanks

Wayne

Peter Day 114/02/2017 17:43:04
6590 forum posts
1991 photos

Hi Wayne

There are no taboos - if it does the job, it's in. I haven't used a pen myself, but if you can find something fine enough, why not?

I just used artist's chalk pastels to give a dusting of colour to the groundwork - oranges and ochre colours. Some people use them for more comprehensive vehicle weathering - Mark Bannerman is a fine exponent of the art.

Peter.

jimbo14/02/2017 17:49:54
14357 forum posts
2736 photos

Hi Peter

Seeing the three together in situ they look even better. I can see why that loader was very awkward. You have done exceptionally well to get the loader, the gunner and the MG itself all working/fitting together.

Jim

Andrew Belsey 214/02/2017 18:29:16
1999 forum posts
1131 photos

Peter,

Having gone through none of the pain these little blighters have given you, they look great to my eyes! I too look forward to seeing the last leg of this diorama.

Andy B

Peter Day 114/02/2017 18:42:49
6590 forum posts
1991 photos

Jim and Andy - thank you.

As you know I'm struggling to like this one - don't know why. At least I've resisted the urge to bin it this time.

I'm hoping the Germans turn out better than the Brits and help bring something extra to the scene. - I don't like too much empty space in my dios and this has too much at the moment.

Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
HLJ February
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest