Tamiya Machine Gun Crew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sjors Greut17/02/2017 15:57:23
395 forum posts
160 photos

Great start on the first figure Peter!

How do you start painting?
What I mean is; do you start with all the flesh tones or do you do the uniform first?
And when your painting the head, do you paint the eyes first or last?

Sjors

Peter Day 117/02/2017 16:16:09
4238 forum posts
1076 photos

John - Thanks.Yes the helmets are a little too big - I think they used a standard sprue for the equipment then, modelled the figures slightly too small. I suppose I could hunt around for alternatives, but what the heck?

Sjors - Thanks also, I work from the top down, completing each area as I go. With larger scales I paint the head and equipment separately, usually starting with the head, moving on to the uniform, then on to the equipment. At this scale, the amount I build depends on the kit. Here, I attached the head to the body and painted from the top, then painted the equipment separately and added it when it was all finished - something I'll probably do more of in the future as it allows clear access to the uniform and you can get up close and personal with the gear.

With the eyes it again depends on scale.With 120mm I always paint he eyes first, as they are most likely to go wrong. At 1/35 I generally put in the shadows then build up the flesh tones. This leaves a dark slit between the eyelids and I finish the face by dotting in the whites - it's always easier to put one dot to the corner of each eye as in a sideways glance.

Peter.

Edited By Peter Day 1 on 17/02/2017 16:49:20

jimbo17/02/2017 17:25:07
12580 forum posts
2326 photos

Hi Peter

Your style has so much precision. You seem to get better and have nice variation and yet every figure is clearly from the Peter Day bench.

One question if I may. When you attach ready painted equipment what glue do you use and does that gluing need any touch up?

Jim

Peter Day 117/02/2017 17:38:57
4238 forum posts
1076 photos

Thanks Jim

I use CA for everything! If there is a bit of overflow, some matt varnish normally does the trick.

Peter.

jimbo17/02/2017 17:49:38
12580 forum posts
2326 photos

Thanks Peter

I think all makes and types of CA dry glossy. Pity someone doesn't make a matt one as then slight mess ups would not show at all thinking Come on Loctite - I have provided the idea face 20

Jim

Steve Jones 1217/02/2017 18:28:35
2100 forum posts
3043 photos

Peter

Jaw dropping! That is a fantastic piece of work. I have just brought this kit to restock my spares box, The figures were quite good I thought. I'm glad you have tackled them. Bring on the next one!

Steve

Peter Day 117/02/2017 18:36:43
4238 forum posts
1076 photos

Steve

It's not a bad set, though not up there with their best. The accessories are good though, so very useful to have in the spares box.

Suffering from Modeller's Elbow after the Matilda dio - swollen and infected from too much table-leaning!

Peter.

Nick Richardson17/02/2017 19:08:02
5559 forum posts
5311 photos

Peter ....

Speed and quality abound....you've really brought him to lfe, yeah, oversize helmet, we can live with that...beautiful painting ....very impressed here, all your lining is so accurate and defined.

Brilliant

Nick

John Race17/02/2017 19:50:27
4346 forum posts
1075 photos

Right thats it .....going to send my figures to you from now on !!!!

Jaw droppingly good . surprise.You done that and all I achieved is a few faces that I was so embarreassed by deleated the photos. Grrrrr. As for helmet ive seen photos of guys in over sized ones or thay were given the wrong size .

John.

Peter Day 117/02/2017 20:35:52
4238 forum posts
1076 photos

Nick - Thank you. I've been trying to refine my lining as I do rely on it, perhaps overmuch.

John - Thanks also. Keep plugging away at those faces.

As for the helmets, well I can live with it. I think I've mentioned before that rather than a universal size with an adjustable liner, the Germans produced seven different helmet sizes - mad!

Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Battlegate
Casemate
HLJ Mar 2017
HLJ Feb 2017
Howmans Books 2017
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest