By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Scratch Build #6 : 1/24 Hawker Fury

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Foenander21/04/2017 11:33:13
3698 forum posts
4580 photos

Hi Jim...I'm bold over with your Fury.

At the beginning I thought you were going to carve the build just like your earlier scratches but this one surely is ingenuity at its best. Even if it was some one else's method it doesn't mean a thing unless you've tried it and it works perfectly here.

Really nice work...I'm learning something here.

Cheers,

Richard

Jim Barry21/04/2017 20:31:28
1116 forum posts
549 photos

Simon, Thanks.! Glad you stopped in. Your work has always inspired me to SLOW down and dig deep. This thing is sure one way to force it!

Richard. Thanks much for the kind words. You create some pretty impressive things so I know your bar is high before you tip over. I do hope sharing here as others have done for me does help your work. I'm pretty happy working with other's methods and then showing them here. You are right though, it's still far from being delivered on a plate.

jimbo22/04/2017 11:38:00
13719 forum posts
2597 photos

Hi Jim

Looking great and shows a great deal of skill and patience.

Jim

Tim Marlow22/04/2017 12:39:36
1246 forum posts
1018 photos

Hi Jim

This is great.....I can't believe how far you have come along the scratchbuild route in such a short time...the depth of talent on this site is astounding and you add to it in full measure...it's a nice looking kite as well...

Cheers

Tim

john hutton22/04/2017 13:05:52
4090 forum posts
1636 photos

Jim,

Add great work on the wing , to a growing list of scratch building skills being put to excellent use on this 1/24th beauty thumbs up. Terrific throughout this build mate wink 2.

John.

Steve Jones 1222/04/2017 22:40:13
3461 forum posts
8720 photos

Jim

Terrific work on the wing. Once painted this will look the DB's. Well done sir

Steve

Jim Barry23/04/2017 12:32:53
1116 forum posts
549 photos

Thanks guys! . It's the support like that gets me through the trying times. I nearly started over after seeing that cutting the aileron caused the wing to lose its contact point. This was during the patchwork drying looking all wonky. I took a rest from it, went to do errands and dinner with the family and then returned the bench rested and ready for some more. Still a little more tuning near the end of the aileron, but basically it's flying again. I think I could get a job at an auto repair shop for really small cars now, too. smiley

img_7557.jpg

Jim Barry25/04/2017 02:30:43
1116 forum posts
549 photos

Thought I'd zoom out for a family picture here. Tail pieces are just dry fit here. Thinking through the build sequence. Once parts start going on there will be fewer handling choices. I see myself ripping the tail off if I put it on now, but it's so tempting! Realistically, I think it should go last.

2 months in but already the personal record holder for model projects at 130 hours.

Thanks for stopping by!

img_7573.jpg

Peter Day 125/04/2017 08:07:46
5753 forum posts
1427 photos

Fantastic work Jim - They look like the parts for a precision engineered and very expensive commercial kit.

Peter.

Jim Barry27/04/2017 20:53:49
1116 forum posts
549 photos

Got a fully dedicated day off from work and no distractions. Just me and the Fury and I was hellbent to knock out the landing gear. Whew! That was difficult. I'm too tired and cross eyed now to blog about the details. I'm very happy how it turned out because it's just such a gorgeous plane and modeling it in real metal is really working out well.

img_7582.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Hobbylink November 2
HLJ Oct
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest