By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

DRAGON Panzer IV Ausf D DAK Tropical Version

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Smith 119/03/2017 12:56:29
6824 forum posts
2014 photos

A`noon fellow Plymouthianface 20!!

Been watching from the cheap seats and enjoying all the info immensely i must say Buddythumbs up.

Truly some detailing to be proud of there,well done mate-another beauty on the way methinksteeth 2,

Cheers,

Andy

Steve Jones 1219/03/2017 14:15:23
2113 forum posts
3043 photos

Hi Everyone

Simon - The highest I got was 3x magnification. Would it be worth acquiring a 5x lens? I wear glasses as I cant see far away. I model without them as I am okay with close work.

Scottie - More detailing coming up my friendwink

Peter - I am amazed you do your figure work without magnification. Have you ever tried any magnification aids?

John - Its been close to being stopped but I am doing small stages. That's why its taking so long

Mr Smith!! - How the devil are you sir? Thanks for the support. Now dive dive dive! You only have two weeks to get that awesome sub of yours finished. Also we need to have a chat about the Plymouth model show at the end of April so we can meet up for a few beerswink

I have committed the cardinal sin of preparing for the next group build before finishing these builds. So I have only a small update this weekend.

I have started on the tools. The Tamiya kit has no PE and the fixings arnt brilliant on their tools. I am going through each tool and seeing if I can improve them with PE or better moulded tools.

For example the spanner needed its clamps replaced. I compared the PE I was using for the Dragon spanner and used a PE piece from the spares box. I scored bend marks in the same place to create the same looking fixing

img_5569.jpg

Then the Tamiya part had its clamps removed

img_5571.jpg

A couple of wing nuts were added and the piece was put in place. You can also see I replaced the barrel cleaner for a more detailed one from the spares box. As I had no clamps for this in the PE spares it was left as

img_5572.jpg

Only another 43 clamps to gocrook

Thanks for all the support

Steve

414-burning.jpg

(For discussion purposes only)

Peter Day 119/03/2017 15:47:18
4241 forum posts
1081 photos

Now that is detailing! 45 clamps though - you must be mad Steve.

No, I've never used magnification - the difference in focus between my eyes won't allow it - not even good with binoculars or telescopes.

Peter.

John Race19/03/2017 19:02:37
4360 forum posts
1077 photos

Steve, or should you be renamed PE king, Peter he is mad, mad on getting things rightthumbs up

Looks good my friend, like the barrel cleaner, the end looks the part.

As for magnification, my optovisor is 1.75. I don't need any glasses for close up work with the good eye , and cover the left up when required. I tried one of those glasses on recently and found it just didn't suit. Any way I would have to pay for both sides face 20 Now if I could get a monical type with a x 3 lens ....................

John.

joe strenko21/03/2017 00:40:39
352 forum posts
344 photos

Steve,

Holy cow the level of detailing that you do just keeps growing and growing,,,, just outstanding!!!!! Perhaps matching a beer or two per each clamp could help keep your sanity... couldn't hurt right?? 🍺🍺

SimonT21/03/2017 06:47:10
10858 forum posts
8883 photos

Hi Steve,

I went straight for the No.5 as that was what seemed to get the most recommendations

It suits me and I couldn't do anything these days without it

SimonT

jimbo21/03/2017 15:18:59
12583 forum posts
2326 photos

Hi Steve

What superb detailing. Great skill and patience.

I use an Optivisor and like Simon I wear it virtually all the time when modelling. I have a DA-5 which gives 2.5x magnification and also a DA-7 with 2.75x magnification.

Enjoying this - what madness detailing will he attempt next wink 2

Jim

Steve Jones 1223/03/2017 19:45:28
2113 forum posts
3043 photos

Hi Everyone

Peter - Yeah - totally mad mate. I think you have to be when we do the strange things that we doface 21

John - I'm glad you are enjoying the detailing. It gets me down at times but you just have to keep Percy Veering

Joe - I'm happy to join you in a couple of wet ones. I can then use it as an excuse for all my botch jobswink

Simon - I have ordered the 5x. I will let you know how I get on with ityes

Jim - I wish I could match the standards of yourself and Mr T. Keep on practising I suppose

Well I have spent the week clamping (No Chinese boy scout jokes pleaselaugh) the Tamiya Ausf D and the lower hull is now completeface 7. There is a lack of detail due to my spares box running rather thin. I have tried to replace the Tamiya items as best I can with improved Dragon parts and PE spares. I replaced the nondescript Tamiya hooks with a couple of scratch ones

img_5573.jpg

I had no spare fire extinguishers so went with the Tamiya. Its a waste of time scratching everything off to put the PE detail on as it always looks a mess.

I discovered the double ended spanner is in fact two spanners on top of each other. There you go - learn something new everyday. I have used the Dragon part on the Tamiya build and I will use the spare box spanners and PE clamps on the Dragon build

img_5575.jpg

I wasnt happy with the "S" hooks so I have put a tool box in its place. Its all very tight so painting will be funlaugh

img_5576.jpg

I have decided to use the spare wheel bracket on the back but not on the Dragon build, Purely to add variety

img_5583.jpg

On the other side I had no spare axe, jack or wheel lever so I just added PE clamps

img_5584.jpg

Next was the antenna which I have decided to be in the down position. There should be a spade under the holder but I am fed up with doing spades so I put the tyre lever there instead with PE clamps. The brackets in front are for spare track links. These have been added to the ever growing pile of accessories that will be painted separately

img_5586.jpg

Where the tyre lever should be I have put a tarp from the spares box

img_5587.jpg

Over the next few days I will tackle the Dragon clamps and tools. This will take a little longer as I can use all the PE clamps in the original kityes

img_5588.jpgimg_5589.jpg

Thanks for watching

Steve

4c3ee8e949abecc1.jpeg

(For discussion purposes only)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Howmans Books 2017
Battlegate
HLJ Mar 2017
Parabellum
HLJ Feb 2017
Casemate
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest