By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Verlinden 120mm Assyrian Archer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Day 118/05/2017 16:04:28
4696 forum posts
1337 photos

002.jpg

Another older, Belgian era figure going for a tenner on Historex.

This will be my third attempt at this figure. The first was done some time ago, lived for a couple of years in the cabinet, then went the way of a lot of my early stuff(!). The second I started a thread for fairly recently, but it ended in my cocking it up in the final stages, so it went to join it's predecessor.

Here are all the parts cleaned up and ready for painting:

001.jpg

I've always found it next to impossible to get a clean join between the body halves on these Verlinden figures: they either need heavy casting blocks removing, or, as in this case, the mould has been filled so that it overflows very slightly. I never have much faith in my filling abilities, but this should be OK.

The main reason I ruined the second version was because I couldn't get the bow to fit convincingly (gluey mess, ruined paint job etc etc). This time I extended the handle with 1/48 Stug idlers (more sacrilege), and removed the grips from the bow arms. On this point I also found that I had positioned the right arm too high, so I tried to remove it, snapped it in three places, and had to repair it with filler (that Loctite Gel sure is strong).

The piece of rod is for the arrow shaft, but it's too flimsy and will be replaced with something sturdier.

I had thought of displaying him with the Assyrian king I did a while ago:

003.jpg

It could be a hunting scene; ''Pot that gazelle for me old chap, would you?'' It's a possibility.....

Thanks for looking,

Peter.

Richard Pearce 118/05/2017 18:41:30
881 forum posts
45 photos
Hi Peter.
Another bargain mate.Think its time to stock up on Verlinden stuff quickly before e.bay crazy prices kick in.I see an odd one or two at shows.When Verlinden started bringing the 120s out i bought them as soon as they appeared.Happy halcyon days.
Will keep any eye on kingy as you paint him.
Richard
Peter Day 118/05/2017 22:32:08
4696 forum posts
1337 photos

Hi Richard

There aren't many 120mm Verlindens left at Historex, but there's quite a lot around on eBay. The trouble is the prices - this figure is being listed from £25+, and a lot are going for much higher than the original market price. I have been looking at 90mm figures, but they tend to be even more expensive than 120mm - Andrea for example, are priced at around £50 for something quite basic. Probably going to have to go plastic in future.

I've dug out some reference material, mainly Assyrian reliefs from places like Nineveh:

archers-in-action-assyrian-about-700-692-bc-from-nineveh-south-west-ex74ab.jpgassyrian-soldiers-in-battle-archers-protected-by-large-reed-mate-shields-bp2905.jpgkarkar.jpg

(Images for discussion only).

The first two show what must have been the usual set-up, the archer protected by a companion with a wicker shield, and in the second picture there are a pair of slingers behind them - the artillery detachment of their day.

Peter.

Mike DURNFORD19/05/2017 08:07:19
1431 forum posts
83 photos

Yes Peter I agree there ive surfed every..... where the top companies that are on Historex are charging high prices

A good mounted 90mm over 100 English pounds way too expensive..........Ive been looking at eisenbach flats the rolls Royce of tin figures....for a portrait type flat 18.00 Euro all be it Napoleonic ....mounted 28 euro trying to find good figures is getting  harder for me as I'm not really into ww1 /2.......have a few 54mm but find them with my eyesight too small........mike

Edited By Mike DURNFORD on 19/05/2017 08:08:18

Peter Day 119/05/2017 14:46:30
4696 forum posts
1337 photos

Hi Mike

It's eyesight issues that oblige me to work in the larger scales. Otherwise there wouldn't be a problem.

Head's done:

001.jpg004.jpg

He looks like a cross between Bluto and Popeye.

Peter.

Mike DURNFORD19/05/2017 19:54:46
1431 forum posts
83 photos

Yes ....Looking good Peter...super character I think.......mike

Peter Day 120/05/2017 13:22:15
4696 forum posts
1337 photos

Cheers Mike

Struggling with the armour at the moment.......

Peter.

John Race20/05/2017 15:00:12
4871 forum posts
1108 photos

Peter, been absent for a couple of days, engrossed in the refurb. His face looks good, rather a mean looking gent, not one to meet when on the wrong side.

John

Peter Day 120/05/2017 15:20:00
4696 forum posts
1337 photos

Hi John

Thought you'd be busy in the cave - hope it's going well. You're not the only one who's been absent - I've never known the site to be so quiet.

Peter.

Peter Day 120/05/2017 15:27:54
4696 forum posts
1337 photos

Here's the result of the latest session:

003.jpg011.jpg013.jpg

This nearly followed its predecessors to the bin several times, but I called up our old friend Mr Percy Vere, and this is what I came up with.

I thought I would be able to do the armour with a quick bit of dry-brushing, but our man was having none of it. Instead, it became a laborious process of painting each panel individually. I had used a brighter red for the edging, but that looked awful, and it was the last ditch over-painting of a darker shade that saved the day.

Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
HLJ Mar 2017
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Battlegate
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest