By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Master Box 1/35 Sd.Kfz.1 Staff Car

or........Mercedes-Benz 170VK

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Dave Ward19/05/2017 11:28:57
2298 forum posts
2066 photos

Whilst beginning the lengthy decalling process for my 1/24 truck, I've decided to do this little beauty. It's been in my stash for quite a while, and it just caught my eye....................

There are a lot of options, doors, no doors, roof up or down, side windows or not

vk 170 02.jpg I quite fancy the winter version, all buttoned up. It has the option of a muffler clad radiator. This for some reason appeals to me - maybe with streaky winter overwash.........

vk 170 rad 01.jpg

Dave

Edited By Dave Ward on 19/05/2017 11:32:19

Tim Marlow19/05/2017 13:43:52
1095 forum posts
966 photos

Hi Hi Dave

I built this a couple of years ago, just before I joined the site. Pretty good kit as I remember it, nice detail all round. Things to watch for are that in mine the plastic was a little brittle and the transfers a little thick. Fit was good though.

Cheers

Tim

Dave Ward19/05/2017 15:54:16
2298 forum posts
2066 photos

First bits assembled.................yes, it's brittle, Tim, the end of one chassis rail was missing, and the front spring snapped when I was cutting it off the sprue..................

ladder x chassis.jpg

I'll have to clean the spring up after the glue has really gone off - it was not possible to do it before ( it was in bits! ).

The engine is a real tiny assembly - about 18 bits, but I'm going to miss some of them off, as the bonnet (hood ) wiil be firmly shut.

engine 01.jpg

The sprues themselves are pretty crisp, bit there are fine whiskers of flash that need removing before use, and dry fitting is essential, as the instructions are a bit vague on placement.

Looking forward in the build stages I find this

error.jpg

Stages 6 & 8 are the same! Does that mean that there's something that should be added in stage 8 missing? Time will tell.

Another annoyance, the parts are NOT numbered on the sprue - you have to refer to the layout diagrams to find where they are - that's not a problem with the big bits, but not so with the little bits

Dave

Edited By Dave Ward on 19/05/2017 15:55:07

Mike DURNFORD19/05/2017 20:01:53
1431 forum posts
83 photos

Dave....Looks a really interesting kit just know you,ll do it justice mate mike

Dave Ward23/05/2017 17:04:29
2298 forum posts
2066 photos

Not a good day! I managed to drop the chassis, and in trying to find it, I trod on the little b******. Broke off rear spring mount, and one of the chassis outriggers. Found the spring mount, and reattached but the out rigger is still AWOL. Spent time searching for the missing bits, before doing some new bits..............

chassis 01.jpg

chassis 02.jpg

Anyway progress has been made - dry fitting is imperative, as the instructions are a little vague (!!), and the sequence doesn't make sense. The instructions would have you add the exhaust pipe, from back to front, before fitting the engine - and expect the manifold joints to marry up!. No way! Not that it really matters, as when the bonnet is closed, you won't see a thing!

Dave

John Race23/05/2017 22:32:46
5265 forum posts
1130 photos

Mmm a love hate relationship starting, I fear. Dave.

John.wink

Dave Ward24/05/2017 11:41:42
2298 forum posts
2066 photos

Back on track, after a poor day, yesterday.

The chassis is complete, outrigger scratched. The instructions would have you add the wheels at this stage, but no.

complete chassis.jpg

Still bits missing off the engine, air filter etc, I'm not going to do this, as they're going to be invisible.

The bodywork, fitted to the floorpan

bodywork dryfit.jpg

The fit of these parts is very good, just a little edge clean up needed

Dave

Andy Smith 124/05/2017 15:54:52
6933 forum posts
2102 photos

Hmmmm,

Making a good fist of this one so far Dave,despite it`s issues!

I added this to the stash about a year ago,eagerly opened the box,with much anticipation of building it up straight awaythumbs up,

THEN,after seeing some of the more "Delicately balanced" sprue bits,i quietly closed it up,and slid it,guiltily back into said stash!disgust

Anyway mate,it looks a cracking little staff car,has a real sense of "early motor arrogance", looking forward to seeing how it ends upnerd,

Cheers,

Andy

Dave Ward24/05/2017 18:01:02
2298 forum posts
2066 photos

Andy,

the really delicate bits seem to be for the civilian version, the front and rear bumpers - Im glad they aren't used in this version, as they look like ummmm delicate?

bumper 01.jpg

bumper 02.jpg

One with 9 attachments, the other with only 7!

Dave

John Race24/05/2017 18:17:31
5265 forum posts
1130 photos

Nothing for you two to worry about then surpriseteeth 2

John.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
HLJ July
Expo Tools July 14
Kingkit
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest