Mike Butler19/09/2017 14:46:01
50 forum posts
14 photos

I'm hearing you on all fronts here Andy cool

Look forward to seeing your photos too. - Mike

Andrew Belsey 220/09/2017 13:38:39
1797 forum posts
1075 photos

Here are some promised photos. Firstly of my day at Euro Expo. I've posted some photos (mainly dioramas as that's what's favourite on here) for those who couldn't get there in the Events Section of this Forum.

Here's my entry with Mike which got a silver. (Thankfully my paintwork didn't knock too many points off for Mike!)

img_2539-001.jpg

I had a painful 5 minutes as Mike scrutinised his ladies looking for dust, which he removed with Blu Tack. Having the master looking at my work with his microscope is not something I enjoyed, but Mike is a lovely guy and made no criticism!!

img_2520.jpg

Here is my display on the Planet Figure display table. As well as the sections, you'll see some of my 1:285 dioramas in front.

img_2547.jpg

Here is a section which has made little progress. A German machine gun bunker, very much a work in progress. There are several shots to get an all round view. The figures and base will get painted eventually.

img_2548.jpg

img_2549.jpg

img_2550.jpg

img_2552.jpg

img_2553.jpg

Here's my Reversed Trench with the figures mocked in it.

img_2554.jpg

img_2557.jpg

img_2559.jpg

My Officers' Dugout with the two guys in it. I have some LEDs waiting for this.

img_2560.jpg

The German I have for the German trench is in early stage of paint, so I put another Tommy's War German in it.

img_2566.jpg

The other unfinished section is my Improved Shellhole, The figure for that one is in New Zealand of course.

Andrew Belsey 221/09/2017 21:44:17
1797 forum posts
1075 photos

I promised a brief explanation about making the tent. I'll write an article about it where I'll go into it in detail, but here is a glimpse. I wanted a backdrop that would complement Mike's ladies and thought about where a nurse and mesenger might meet? I thought a tent would be a good idea. I did some research on hospital tents and found photos from BBC's Crimson Field.

crimson-field-2a.jpg

I narrowed that photo down to what I needed and got this.

crimson-field-2.jpg

I needed a product to form canvas in and thought that foil would be good as it bends and holds it's form. But all cloth creases and sags, so it needed some thought to create realistic draping. I cut the pieces flat and scored seams on the edges. I have several bunishing tools, with smooth ends, which I used to create the folds and sags, trying to think how the canvas might behave. I also made some pieces for the bottom of the Red Cross on the roof.

img_1158.jpg

img_1160.jpg

I needed a laquer to prime the foil, which would fix the paint to the foil. I used sprayed acrylic laquer, which we use for styrene at work. I then base coated with spray car paint and finished by hand painting the shadows etc.

As I said before, this is a glimpse but I'll give a better description in an article in the magazine in the future.

William Whitten22/09/2017 04:27:05
139 forum posts
15 photos

Andrew,

I really love what you did with the craft foil. I understand the technique, the ball end burnishing tools and how they work the metal. You have real sculptural control with those tools and that material.

I use foils for many applications. Most of my foil has been shaped into plants, the large leaf plants, such as banana and bird of paradise, and many other tropical plants can be made with foil for the most realistic results.

Drapery on larger scale figures is a candidate for foil work. Capes and long coats come to mind. Of course a suit of metal armor can be fashioned out of such foils as well. The uses put to sheet metal at 1/1 scale can be replicated in miniature with the foils.

Your work is extraordinary all around, all aspects of it. I understand the respect and praise that the modelling community sends your way.

\\][//

Mike Butler23/09/2017 08:58:29
50 forum posts
14 photos

Hi Andy, we've just arrived home safe laugh

Scary shot of me checking out the ladies prior to final entry. Without your background they would not have made it tot the show so special to see them here. Ref your painting of tent, it's spot on - matching both scene, figures and contemporary materials too.

Really liking shots of the outside concrete damage on your German bunker - please do tell us more about your approach in this mate.

- Mike

Edited By Mike Butler on 23/09/2017 09:00:11

John Race23/09/2017 09:21:23
5897 forum posts
1273 photos

It's a wow from me Andy.

Thanks for showing, now all I need is skill! teeth 2

John.

Andrew Belsey 223/09/2017 09:41:19
1797 forum posts
1075 photos

William, Mike John,

Thanks for commenting.

Mike we appreciate each other's strengths in different departments and can hopefully build on this. Glad that you're home safe and hope that your trip passed expectatios - for both of you. I did explain about the concrete when I made it and of course it's in my Index-**LINK**

But here's the link-**LINK**

Steven DM23/09/2017 11:12:00
89 forum posts
152 photos

Thanks for sharing your workflow Andy,
I will never look at foil the same way as I did before idea

Kind regards
Steven

Mike Butler23/09/2017 11:46:58
50 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks Andy for followup & links.

This block polyurethane Chemiwood material - what is it's texture like acrylic or wood?

seen lots of guys using some poly sheet recently, though this seems more easily worked.

- Mike

Andrew Belsey 223/09/2017 22:01:07
1797 forum posts
1075 photos

Steven, Glad to help.

Mike, The Balsafoam that you can buy, and was on sale at Euro Expo, is similar. We use different densities at work. The densest stull is what I used here. I've seen that people like Weta use it, so you can get it down under.

The texture is more like wood but doesn't have a grain running along it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest