By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

1:32 Trench Sections - Part 2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Durk27/05/2017 19:09:00
1363 forum posts
661 photos

Hi Andrew, great workthumbs up and in essence relatively easy to make butterflies in scale this way, I would have never thought of how to do this myself, but its a welcome addition to any moderate climate summertime dio. Now to remember and give it a try myself. Thanks for sharingthumbs up.

DIRK

Andrew Belsey 230/05/2017 13:28:28
1685 forum posts
1012 photos

Thank you guys for your company and encouragement. I got back from France and Flanders (Belgium) late last night after a very full weekend. An emotionally as well as physically tiring experience, which leaves me with low mojo for 'playing' with war for the moment.

I visited quite a few graveyards of both sides, but also museums, original and reconstructed trenches and I went to the Menin Gate ceremony. It was the anniversary of the battle at Vimy Ridge, so was attended by a bagpipe band and group from Canada. I also went to 3 locations where my Grandfather and Great Uncle's battery was positioned. Seeing the small area around Ypres and the masses of graves everywhere is very sobering!

I will be back!

Andrew Belsey 203/06/2017 21:36:46
1685 forum posts
1012 photos

Sorry for my absence over the last week. I have not felt like posting since seeing the wargraves in Belgium. I expected it to affect me, but not so much. I will post a few pictures of the trenches I visited too.

Yorkshire Trench - Genuine British trench (modern concrete sandbags)

img_1473.jpg

Recreated German trench at Memorial Museum Passcendale 1917.

img_1563.jpg

img_1594.jpg

Recreated British trench at MMP 1917.

img_1597.jpg

Genuine British trench at Hill 62.

img_1610.jpg

Albert Schweitzer said "The soldiers' graves are the greatest preachers of peace".

Edited By Andrew Belsey 2 on 03/06/2017 21:59:59

John Race04/06/2017 03:57:44
5411 forum posts
1158 photos

Andy.

Thanks for posting, yes a very sobering visit, I can well imagine your feelings.roseI can remember to this day a visit to Belson over 40 years ago.

John.

Edited By John Race on 04/06/2017 03:59:30

jimbo04/06/2017 10:22:27
13286 forum posts
2497 photos

Hi Andy

I can't imagine the emotions of a visit such as this. So very important that the sites and cemeteries are preserved. Not only out of respect but as a reminder to us all of the sacrifices made.

Jim

Just made use of your index to see how you make Fimo sandbags. Very useful and it works wink 2 thumbs up

Edited By jimbo on 04/06/2017 10:24:09

Tim Marlow04/06/2017 10:31:47
1130 forum posts
978 photos

Hi Andy

After just returning from a visit to Normandy, including four War grave cemeteries, I understand exactly how you are feeling. I found it helped to talk to the casualties, but nothing prepares you for the first time you go into one of the larger ones, the visual impact alone is overpowering, literally jaw dropping for the first few minutes.

Just remember that what you do, especially at the level to which you work, is a form of remembrance and helps others understand what occurred.

Cheers

Tim

Andrew Belsey 205/06/2017 13:51:10
1685 forum posts
1012 photos

John, Jim, Tim - thanks. I will do all I can to educate, rather than promote war. We do have to resort to violence sometimes to counteract violence, but eventually we have to negotiate.

Darren of Tommy's War has announced my latest creation for him - a larger section of a German trench (see below) It's made for this pair of figures, but could be used for any group or single figure. The box art is being worked on for this and no photos have been released yet - hopefully later this month. There are many exciting developments in the TW pipeline.

There will be six figures released in June 2017, all sculpted by Nino Pizzichemi.

The first two are with the title Trench Raiders and feature the following two subjects;

• TW32035 – Captain, 1/8 (Irish) King’s Liverpool Regiment
  • TW32036 – Sergeant, 1/8 (Irish) King’s Liverpool Regiment

These two figures depict a night raid on a German trench and are complimented with a superb section of German trench, sculpted by Andy Belsey, which will be available at the same time.

Nino has captured the suspense perfectly and this will be a hugely popular set.

I have seen photos of Nino's figures and they are very good sculpts. Trench raids were an awful activity and Nino has captured the suspense very well.

Edited By Andrew Belsey 2 on 05/06/2017 13:51:47

Andrew Belsey 219/06/2017 08:53:44
1685 forum posts
1012 photos

Sorry for my lack of posting recently, my mojo is pretty flat since seeing so many graves in Flanders. I have tinkered with my Poilu a little.

My latest base is released by Tommy's War. It's a little larger than the previous set to accommodate at least 2 figures. Nino has sculpted 2 trench raiders for it and also a German Stormtrooper (optional heads). The base has an optional end which make it more adaptable.

img_7158_zpsdqghwjxd.jpg

img_7152_zps0hgzvajh.jpg

img_7153_zpsscqrr8gb.jpg

This is the trench raid diorama painted by Ernesto Reyes. A nasty topic, the tension is captured well by Nino and the darkness well by Ernesto.

trench_2_zps7nydo6ad.jpg

trench_4_zps45nsxtx4.jpg

I hope that these sell well for Darren.

Andy Claesens19/06/2017 10:26:45
10879 forum posts
9746 photos
16 articles

Another superb base Andy,thumbs up

Some great pictures from your trip too.thumbs up

We returned to France in April and laid a wreath on my wife's Cousin's grave 100 years to the day after his death.

I know what you mean by the effect it has. Doing this for a living and then having the opportunity to study and educate others about the conflict, I still find the sheer scale of the numbers hard to comprehend.

We did a couple of Museums, several monuments and over twenty cemetery visits and I have loads of photos, but haven't felt quite able to post them as yet.

Keep up the good work.

Andybeer

Lest We Forget

jimbo19/06/2017 14:14:42
13286 forum posts
2497 photos

Hi Andy

I am sure those will be a real asset on the Tommy's War website. The Trench Raider look superb.

Jim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
HLJ Sept
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ July
Parabellum
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest