By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Half a Stug roof and a bit of a challenge

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Jones 1215/06/2017 17:05:59
3027 forum posts
7534 photos

Kimmo

What a great idea! The paintwork is really good. Looking forward to seeing this come together

Steve

Kimmo Happonen15/06/2017 20:39:14
447 forum posts
414 photos

Thanks Jose and Steve! A little more progress today...

Camo and parka have now been hit with highlights and shading, and seams sharpened up. I gave everything a top coat of matt varnish with a touch of the parka base colour to tone down and blend everything a little. It looks a fair bit better in real life, my camera is not doing me any favours and I can't be bothered to set up the lights and what not for good shots just yet so these will have to do for the moment.

img_3133.jpg

img_3134.jpg

img_3135.jpg

img_3136.jpg

img_3137.jpg

Next up will be the rain marks, then I can get on with the white areas and details .

Kimmo

Kimmo Happonen16/06/2017 16:14:02
447 forum posts
414 photos

I went and added the rain marks and also got most of the white areas done along with other touch ups. I'm not totally happy with the rain marks, but those are a royal pain in the backside to do. Fortunately, at arm's length you don't really see them as much as sense their presence. I'm still undecided about the blue for the scarf, I want a splash of colour and would like something other than a red tone.

img_3139.jpg

img_3140.jpg

img_3141.jpg

I also got the face mostly done up today. I decided against doing the eyes as they are in a deep shadow area because of the cap. I may need a darker wash in there to bring out some of the detail a bit better.

img_3143.jpg

img_3144.jpg

More to come over the next couple of days.

Kimmo

Durk16/06/2017 18:34:07
1367 forum posts
662 photos

Hi Kimmo, great to see how this has progressed. Rain marks are indeed one of the biggest pains. I dilute the paint very much and get the (for me) best results, but still frequently have to redo and cover the not so good marks with base coat, to redo them.

DIRK

Edited By Durk on 16/06/2017 18:34:25

Peter Day 116/06/2017 20:10:43
5229 forum posts
1729 photos

Very nice work again Kimmo - the camo looks great. I find it a complete pain painting rain stripes at 120mm, and I don't think I'd even attempt it at this scale.

Peter.

Kimmo Happonen16/06/2017 23:21:21
447 forum posts
414 photos

Cheers Dirk and Peter, rain marks were invented by some sadist I'm sure. I m using thinned down paint, the problem seems to be a little bit of inexperience on my part and the brush not quite capable of holding the point. I did redo a few patches along the way, fresh paint comes off easily with a moist brush. Since the camo layer is sealed, I can always remove the rain marks without damaging the underlying paint using diluted airbrush cleaner and a cotton bud. I'll get on with other details and see how I feel about another attempt, the effect is there, just not the level of execution I'd like. Oh well, practice makes perfect.

Kimmo

Kimmo Happonen19/06/2017 22:22:31
447 forum posts
414 photos

More progress, the Stug now has markings, conveniently leftover from Tamiya's Stug III.

img_3151.jpg

The head is now almost done, I just need to add the eagle and cockade.

img_3145.jpg

img_3146.jpg

img_3147.jpg

img_3148.jpg

And a test of how the figure looks in situ. You'll notice the scarf is a bit darker now. I did a little shading on the pants, not much as it is all but hidden, just enough to not have it a solid blob of grey.

img_3152.jpg

img_3153.jpg

img_3154.jpg

Things are starting to take shape nicely. I'm still undecided about the white wash.

Kimmo

Kimmo Happonen20/06/2017 22:27:32
447 forum posts
414 photos

Getting closer and closer to calling this done. I painted the cockade and eagle, attached the head, and added drawstrings from wire. The Ppsh was painted up and some semi gloss added to it and the belt.

img_3160.jpg

img_3155.jpg

img_3156.jpg

img_3158.jpg

img_3159.jpg

The Stug has been weathered as well. The jury is still out on whitewash.

img_3161.jpg

Next up I'll finish the base and see how everything looks tacked in place.

Kimmo

Steve Jones 1221/06/2017 16:48:21
3027 forum posts
7534 photos

Kimmo

Wonderful work mate. The figure is outstanding. Will you be painting the wood/base a dark glossy colour for contrast or leaving as is?

Steve

Kimmo Happonen21/06/2017 18:10:51
447 forum posts
414 photos

Cheers Steve! The base will be a "cherry wood" similar to what I had done with my SBS for Vallejo Primers. The base the Stug is on is actually my cutting block. I realized I don't have any photos of the base proper. I'll fix that with the next update.

In the meantime, I made good use of GIMP (which is a good free alternative to Photoshop) to see what a whitewash might look like.

img_3161a.jpg

I'm thinking this might not be a bad idea.

Kimmo

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ July
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Sept
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest