By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Pz.Kpfw. 35(t)

WIP Academy Pz.Kpfw. 35(t)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lewis Mrotzek15/06/2017 08:26:55
53 forum posts
34 photos

Jumping over to the blog forum from this post - http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=128021​

Morning Gents,

Having too much fun over here, had to turn this into a blog. Decided to glue the suspension in, SprueOne you are probably right, but I am worried about the seam work I will have to deal with… And I was right to be cool

side glue.jpg

The kit has come together nicely so far, a few issues lining up the lower hall, nothing out of the normal. My only serious issue so far has been on the front right suspension system. There was a major gap I had to fill, the other three just had minor seam lines, for I had applied ample pressure while welding them together.

serious gap.jpg

I used my trusty Vallejo plastic putty, it’s great for small work like this! I've had this bottle for years aswell, its never dried out.

first round putty.jpg

​I apply a small a amount with a synthetic brush, sometimes thinned down with water when dealing with figures, and then with a wet Q-tip I pull down over the seam, leaving a cleanly filled gap, it may take up to 4 or 5 try's to get a smooth transition, but remember its worth taking your time with this stuff, for you cant sand it! ; same technique works with Green Stuff, you just need to use a solvent based liquid instead of water. 

shrinkage.jpg

​I had to fill the gap on the front right suspension three separate times, for the Vallejo putty loves to shrink when it dries, even in this moist Canadian summer.  

filled.jpg

​Furthermore after a relaxing night at the bench, I am satisfied with tonight's results ( for now ).  

Off to bed, gonna try to get a coat of primer on tomorrow. 

​Thanks for tuning in ! Any questions and comments only fuel the build! 

Cheers 

​Lewis

Edited By Lewis Mrotzek on 15/06/2017 08:52:07

Lewis Mrotzek15/06/2017 20:29:01
53 forum posts
34 photos

Afternoon,

Pulled this one out from the shelf this afternoon, great book, I think I got it back in 98 when I was 8 years old hahaha. img_0018.jpg ​All pictures are for discussions purposes only.

This book is loaded with some great images and even better information.

info.jpg

All pictures are for discussions purposes only.

Thanks for checking in! I'm about to start the upper hull.

Lewis

SprueOne16/06/2017 02:49:06
970 forum posts
686 photos

You're right, do it that way. I misunderstood the complexity of the suspension running gear.

Lewis Mrotzek17/06/2017 08:55:36
53 forum posts
34 photos

Gents,

Had a bit a bender last night, didn’t get in the door till 10 AM… Was hoping to work on something easy tonight, but it seemed like there was nothing I could do but track work.

img_0031.jpg

Nice pre-sagged top tracks. Was really temped to order some AM tracks, I know there is a Fruli set, but I keep telling myself I won’t put any money into this kit…Save it for the next

img_0034.jpgA little fidgety after a good night of drinking, but the build must move foreword. A good pair of tweezers are essential.

img_0032.jpg

I was worried the track links wouldn't form around the read idler. No problems thus far.

img_0035.jpg

Thanks for checking in! Going to spend the better half of tonight and tomorrow morning constructing these tracks. Going to be interesting when it comes to the painting and weathering stages, I usually paint separately and add before washes and pigments.

Any suggestions on painting these tracks will be much appreciated.

Lewis

Mark Bannerman17/06/2017 10:41:24
3176 forum posts
858 photos
5 articles

Just catching up on this...IS this the Bronco release ?

Mark

John Race17/06/2017 12:40:18
5472 forum posts
1168 photos

Nice start Lewisthumbs up that suspension looks trickysurprise

John .

Chris Camfield17/06/2017 13:28:24
1003 forum posts
164 photos

The tracks look pretty good for straight out of the box.

I had no idea how complicated the suspension is for the 38t. I wonder how Tamiya modelled it at 1/48 (might open my box just to take a look.)

I'm sure you'll get along just fine with the tracks!

Lewis Mrotzek18/06/2017 08:05:16
53 forum posts
34 photos

MARK- ​No this is the Academy 13280 ... The one without the antennas. I was actually looking for that kit when I ran into this one. Great for when your on a dime, I think I paid 25$ CDN all in.

box.jpg

​JOHN- ​Thanks for stopping by I really appreciate it, always glad to read one of your comments on the forum. Gonna be a fun build, cant wait to get some paint on her.

​CHRIS- ​Yes the tracks are quite nice, must have been an interesting to mold. Czech engineering at its best when it comes to that suspension system... No wonder by late '41 the Germans started running out of parts trying to fix these things, but for its time in '35 this was a top tier light/medium tank.

Been a slow night. Almost got half the tracks done.

track half.jpg

Thanks for checking in...Going camping on Monday for a few days to see what's left of The Grateful Dead in Saratoga Springs, NY. Gonna to try my best to prime her Sunday night, and hope to come back to a cured model...I do really want the ABER - http://www.aber.net.pl/detal,1244.html - barrel for this kit, the stock one is quite disappointing. I emailed the local shop to fly one from, we will see.

3.7mm.jpg

Gonna need a uber micro bit to drill those out! Any suggestions?

Lewis

Jon Heptonstall 119/06/2017 22:25:11
1338 forum posts
20 photos

This is looking a great build and a very nice model.

The good thing about being a Deadhead is that it's always new-depending on the chemical balance kulou

Jon

Lewis Mrotzek26/06/2017 20:41:18
53 forum posts
34 photos

Gents,

Been a rather slow week, but that’s all about to change.

JON- Your sure right about that! I could barely keep my balance.

I got the entire track system, side skirts and fighting compartment installed last night.

img_0047.jpg

The tracks were a bit of a struggle, I used an ultra thin cement to keep things malleable. I wasn’t super happy with the uniformity of the single piece track system, it honestly really brought my MOJO down, I found it to messy once combined with liquid cement. I strongly recommend after market tracks for this kit. On the positive side, it gives me a chance to finally use Vallejo’s Environment effects: Mud and Grass (73.826) on the track system. I was originally goanna go for a pre-war look, maybe even find some Czech markings, but after building thus far I have come across too many issues for a clean look. My / the kits mistakes are leading me towards a nice weathered look, I think I’m going to name this one the “MULE” , I got boxes of loose gear, lets see how I high I can stack this one!

img_0052.jpg

Serious fitting issue with the engine compartment.

img_0049.jpg

Filled her up, a little messy, but I plan to have a flag or something draped over a good portion of the back. Any suggestions on 1/35 flags? I love it to be fabric based.

img_0051.jpg

Thanks for checking in ! Any questions and comments are much appreciated!

Lewis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ July
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Sept
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest