XURON CORP pro sprue Cutters

Tool review - (2175ET) Professional Sprue Cutters

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lewis Mrotzek15/06/2017 21:44:08
52 forum posts
34 photos

Gents,

I proudly received my first pair of XURON CORP professional sprue cutters (2175ET) this afternoon. I don’t remember if it was off eBay or Amazon, I only paid 25$. Never fails though, when I stopped by the hobby shop on Monday, they had a full selection of Xuron Corp products in; I always try to buy from a local source over online, nothing beats a chat and a model…

vb.jpg

The pliers have a nice feel them, nothing fidgety about them. Good size, and weighted just enough to feel useful...sharp as hell.

img_0024.jpg

Prior to this I would remove pieces form a sprue like everyone else. But what I really didn't like about that, was having to press down and bend the entire sprue to get a clean cut, or sectioning off entire pieces to later forget what they are (I know a bit of labelling... ) Bending a sprue can really damage the delicate parts of a model i.e. antennas and small barrels.

img_0025.jpg

These sprue cutters make ease of any, and all of these dilemmas. Don’t get me wrong, a freshly bladed X-acto knife will be more useful in the end, but having a pair of these cutters has really made the building process a delight.

img_0026.jpg

Clean up now takes a few seconds...I still refuse to go lower then 800 grit.

img_0027.jpg

This section of track for my Pz.Kpfw. 35(t) came off the sprue almost perfectly. Its gotten me excited to build more, and if a tool can do that, then you've got yourself a winner.

Feel free to check out my current build blog - http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=128041&p=1#PostTop -

Cheers

Lewis

Edited By Lewis Mrotzek on 15/06/2017 21:50:41

Simon Hammerton16/06/2017 08:00:34
6443 forum posts
399 photos
2 articles

Nice review Lewis

I've been using these - one of three pairs of Xurons currently in my toolbox - for about a year now, and they've performed faultlessly. I have been given different pairs of cutters during this time, but they've been left in the box when I've been looking at a serious build session.

The large handles make for a comfortable grip, as well as excellent cutting leverage. I especially recommend these to anyone dealing with arthritis in their hands as they generate minimal discomfort compared with most sprue cutters.

Simon

Lewis Mrotzek17/06/2017 01:20:49
52 forum posts
34 photos
SIMON- Thank you for the kind words and comments, I very much appreciate it.

These sprue cutters are the real deal.

Lewis
Kevin Cole 119/09/2017 13:41:12
44 forum posts
19 photos

I'd just like to add that I used to work for a lighting ballast manufacturer in the winding department, and we used Xuron cutters throughout for cutting copper and aluminum wire 24 hours a day 5-6 days a week.

Top notch tools.

There may be better out there, but the Xurons do the job very well, feel right in your hand, not expensive, and are plenty rugged.

Any tool that makes building easier, faster, or more accurate is a worthwhile buy.

Simon Hammerton19/09/2017 15:28:33
6443 forum posts
399 photos
2 articles
Same situation at both Racal-Decca and BAE Kevin Cole.

These were the weapon of choice at both places.

Simon
John Race19/09/2017 18:30:32
5897 forum posts
1273 photos

Lewis.

I bought a set of PE cutters some time ago, cost a bit more due to customs etc , but well worth the outlay.

John .

Simon Hammerton20/09/2017 08:03:58
6443 forum posts
399 photos
2 articles
I have three pairs of Xurons, and a cheap - but still good - pair of sprue cutters that I lend to people at build days if they need to borrow a pair.

I also keep a small toffee hammer to hand when people try to "borrow" my Xurons

Simon
Marty Elliott20/09/2017 08:40:35
171 forum posts
386 photos

just ordered a pair off amazon so will let u know what I think when they arrive----Simon..like that idea of the toffee hammer...could be a useful addition to the tool kit!!!

Marty

Simon Hammerton20/09/2017 10:33:31
6443 forum posts
399 photos
2 articles

Officially it's for my punch & die sets, unofficially...devil

Simon

Gary Murphy20/09/2017 14:49:31
141 forum posts
7 photos

just like to say that I have the Xurons mentioned and was very pleased with them until I took the plunge and got Tamiya`s. There is no comparison the Tamiya`s are simply better. I got the slim jaw version first then the standard.Both are top notch. The Xurons are now only used to cut thick sprue with.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest