By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Macchi C.202 "Dai Banana!"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Marcello Tontodonati19/06/2017 21:08:37
205 forum posts
310 photos

It's been a while since my last thread. I have been a silent viewer and really had good time looking at the builds all around.
A few months ago I got this 'Special Edition' by Eduard of the Macchi C.202 Folgore, maybe one of the most efficient Regia Areonautica planes in WWII. Although I started the build a long time ago, I was very disappointed with the quality of the offering and left it undone for months. A couple of week ago I decided to finish it no matter the quality, since I wanted to do some testing on the Lifecolor paints and try the camo scheme as shown here (image for discussion purpose only)
ra-macchi-c.202-folgore-51s20g151sa-151-2-ennio-tarantola-01.jpg
Emilio Tarantola was one Italia Ace and before the war he used to sell bananas in Como, thus the 'Dai Banana' on the fuselage (translate is 'Go Banana!'.
I have not taken any pictures of the build or the paintwork, but will document some more progress from now on.
Just a couple of starters...
img_2453.jpg

img_2454.jpg
The base is nocciola chiaro (light hazelnut) the camo is dark green. Camo is hand painted (not brave enough for airbrush).
Next stage is a clear coat, decals and all the rest.
Cheers and as usual any comments is more than appreciated
Marcello

Manu Della Valle19/06/2017 21:56:46
1337 forum posts
708 photos

Hi Marcello,

It's a great choice of subject but the "amebe"(amoebas) are a little "off" IMO if you want to realistically reproduce Tarantola's aircraft!I'd suggest you either to experiment a bit more with your airbrush or use the camo decals by Tauro,even if I'm rather confident that there must be other decals out there if you don't like Maurizio's !

Cheers

Manu

Marcello Tontodonati19/06/2017 22:17:43
205 forum posts
310 photos

Hi Manu,
thank you for your comment. I tried the amebe by airbrush and miserably failed. I have also just looked for the Tauro decals but can't find any UK reseller. If you can suggest where to find them would appreciate even if I would have preferred not to go that route (sounds like cheating to me, maybe not ….), or I can re-spray the nocciola chiaro and re-try the amebe with a different stroke.

Cheers
Marcello

Manu Della Valle19/06/2017 23:02:05
1337 forum posts
708 photos

Marcello,

IMO you're not that hopeless...try experimenting a bit more varying paint/thinner ratios,air pressure and distance and you'll see!

Tauro decals can be found here:

http://www.tauromodel.it/

But have a look here as well;

http://www.stormomagazine.com/Decals_Stormo.Cheers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ June 2017
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Battlegate
Parabellum
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest