By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

a tribute to those in every country who fought in Vietnam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rick Edens20/06/2017 00:21:18
708 forum posts
1688 photos

I have had the honor to do this model for my aunt ( her brother) my uncle. Sadly he passed before I made this model. it has a very personal meaning as he had trouble adjusting upon his return home from that War. I took an old warriors kit and modified it to look like an older veteran at the Vietnam wall in Washington D.C.

I puttied the goatee and the ponytail, also gave him a scar on his face. cut off all the shirt detail an just painted it like a regular shirt.

the saying a friend of mine showed me and I knew I needed to ad it to this bust. I also found the wonderful photo of the wall and took them to wal-marts and got glossy photo copies. glued them to foam board. the last thing I added was the POW Challenge coin.

hope you like this idea (concept?)

RICK

20170618_220312_burst011.jpg

the-vietnam-veterans-memorial-wall.jpg

img_0237.jpg

img_0236.jpg

img_0238.jpg

Edited By Rick Edens on 20/06/2017 00:23:37

Jon Heptonstall 120/06/2017 00:32:39
1431 forum posts
20 photos

Works very well Rick.

Does the vet represent your uncle ? A little bit of his story would really help to see this in context.

Jon

(great work on transforming the bust by the way !)

Rick Edens20/06/2017 01:12:35
708 forum posts
1688 photos

Jon it does in away ( the scar on the face) but it portray's everyone who has come home with scars both mentally and physically. my uncle who I got my middle name from was a member of the 4th inf. div. in Pleiku from 1968 to 1969. he was wounded by a trip mine in the face. the soldier in front of him tripped it and my uncle took most the blast to the face and chest. he got addicted to the medicine they gave him for the pain and it took control of the rest of his life (sad but I have heard a lot of soldiers experienced the same thing ) he came home but he always had trouble coping. he was a great fishermen and loved his family .but sometimes he was not approachable when he got like that he went away and fished . always came back like nothing happened. I did this model to honor not only my uncle but every soldier who has ever had trouble coping upon coming home.

Rick

Jon Heptonstall 120/06/2017 01:28:36
1431 forum posts
20 photos

Got you Rick. Don't know how things are in the States but over here we now have a few dedicated centres for servicemen/women suffering PTSD, addiction etc.etc. but only really scratching the surface. I've come into contact with many ex-forces people with drug/alcohol problems,other psychiatric problems, homelessness and all the rest and while we're quick to hang out the flags the long-term problems are largely unaddressed.

Only last week I was talking to an ex-fusilier who served in the first Gulf war. Lost nine mates in a blue-on-blue and getting help for a long standing addiction problem which he attributes directly to his experiences then.

So ...great tribute to all those who never really came home.

Jon

William Whitten20/06/2017 01:38:08
146 forum posts
15 photos

How about the "Vietcong"? Do they get a tribute for fighting for the liberation of their nation? The Chinese? The Russians? How about the French who held the southeast Asian area as colonies for more than a century?

Just asking...

\\][//

Rick Edens20/06/2017 04:00:53
708 forum posts
1688 photos

William

I am sure I posted these exact words . I did this model to honor not only my uncle but every soldier who has ever had trouble coping upon coming home. im Sure I did not say American soldiers (did I) I am pretty sure I said every soldier who has ever come home. The world would be a better place without war but the sad truth is people are going to find thing to argue about, find things to pick apart, and in general all around just try to find something to disagree on. AND now I have found you William.

RICK .

Tim Marlow20/06/2017 08:48:24
1263 forum posts
1018 photos

Hi William

Agreed, those guys also deserve a tribute. Why don't you build one and post it here? Until you do, please treat other members' posts with the respect they deserve.

Nice bust by the way Rick, the setting is excellent as well.

Cheers

Tim

jimbo20/06/2017 09:35:29
13794 forum posts
2610 photos

Hi Rick

Very nicely done - a fitting tribute.

I don't think the men and women returning from the Vietnam war ever got the respect they deserved. It was not the veterans fault that "their war" was seen as "politically embarrassing".

Jim

William Whitten20/06/2017 14:03:17
146 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Rick and Tim,

I am of the Vietnam War era. I graduated from high school in 1965. My very best friend growing up was Dennis, a pugnacious red headed Irish kid. He, along with most of my childhood friends joined the Marines upon graduating from high school. Of course that was in itself practically volunteering for duty in Vietnam.

I won't go into the whole story, but Dennis was badly wounded by a mortar while there. He spent a year in a Tokyo hospital and did make it home. But he died of complications about 6 years later. I was devastated at news of his death...

No, it certainly wasn't Dennis' fault that the war was fought. He bought the whole John Wayne act and only knew 'war' through war movies... At any rate, I still miss my old pal, and see his youthful decision as an act of naivete. I suppose you can say I am bitter, personally, about that war.

I apologize to any who took offense at my first post. I will try to keep my feelings to myself here from now on.

\\][//

Edited By William Whitten on 20/06/2017 14:04:27

Edited By William Whitten on 20/06/2017 14:05:53

Tim Marlow20/06/2017 14:24:17
1263 forum posts
1018 photos

Hi William

That is a graceful apology, and I accept it wholeheartedly. Nothing wrong with feelings, it's what makes us different from the animals. Sorry to jump down your throats like that. If we ever meet I'll buy the beer and you can tell me about your mate.

Cheers

Tim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ December
Kingkit
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbylink November 2
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest