The Camels Are Coming (BiplaneGB17) {ST}

or Biggles Flies Undone

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

SimonT17/07/2017 01:00:26
11327 forum posts
9257 photos

Al - true, I suspect I will never build anything OOB ever again face 20 cheers

Hooch - maybe they did originally way back in the 80's when this kit was originally born. This is the third or fourth reincarnation

Andy - thanks, not as good as it should be but I'll take vast improvement thumbs up

John - hope the paint hurling is going well

Morning all,

not been around much lately sorry - explanation for absence, Dads leg fell off again Thursday. Spent 16hrs in hospital with him from 02:30 Friday morning (10.5hrs in A&E waiting for something to happen). Meant I'd basically been up around 36hrs with only cat naps while waiting. Dad doing well but still in hosp.

Anyway, I finally managed a little work on the soppy camel Sunday evening

bigb17-025_2017-07-17.jpg
filled a few more ejector pin holes - one has carefully been placed in the middle of a rib on the rudder

bigb17-026_2017-07-17.jpg
engine got some more bits added

The ball ends for the push rods are from the little ceramic (? blooming hard anyway) bits found inside a water filter canister

Hopefully it will not look too bad once under paint

Things are likely to be a bit up in the air for a few days so apologies if I don't comment on other builds etc

Thanks for looking in

SimonT

John Race17/07/2017 06:33:09
5698 forum posts
1225 photos

Morning Simon,

Firstly sorry to hear about your Dad sad you two have had your fair share of problems.

I did wonder if something was amiss..

Details on the engine are eye catching to say the least. The dark side at its best . By the way who other than you would take a water filter cartridge apart disgustlaugh

Hope things improve with your Dad .

John.

Edited By John Race on 17/07/2017 06:35:30

jimbo17/07/2017 08:51:02
13447 forum posts
2531 photos

Hi Simon

Hope Dad goes on OK. Like John I was wondering why you were not posting.

Engine looks great - many, many times better than the kit offering. A very basic question if I may - What do you choose for sanding back filler? I find it very difficult to find something that flexes into corners and around detail.

Jim

Steve Jones 1217/07/2017 20:24:58
3160 forum posts
7911 photos

Mr T

Glad to hear Dad is resting well in hospital. The engine is coming along wonderfully. Take care of yourself my friend

Steve

Peter Day 117/07/2017 20:38:52
5378 forum posts
1791 photos

Speechless, as usual....

Peter.

Scottie17/07/2017 20:56:57
5381 forum posts
757 photos
1 articles

Simon,

​Firstly best wishes to your dad for a swift recovery, secondly don't forget to look after yourself as well mate. Finally your skill never ceases to amaze me especially the use of those micro balls.

Scottie

john hutton18/07/2017 16:55:13
4079 forum posts
1636 photos

Simon,

Trying to catch up after a short break, so having read through . Sorry to see he issues with your dad, hope things improve rapidly mate . Your usual amazing scratch work still leaves me in awe, you are just so good at spotting the unlikely solutions to problems using strait forward products in a simple form e g a pile of discs surprise. As Jim said logical when we are told face 20, Engine starting to look excellent wink 2....Now where did i put that water filter ?????

John.

Wouter18/07/2017 17:30:19
5723 forum posts
2162 photos

Wow, that's some nice extra detailing there again Simon. That engine is a model on it's own. Very cool!

Cheers

SimonT19/07/2017 07:07:36
11327 forum posts
9257 photos

Morning lads - apologies, I don't have time to reply individually but thanks one and all for the good wishes for my Dad and the feedback. Glad you like the engine

Nearly got Dad back Monday night but then they decided to keep him in a bit longer as may have an infection

No progress I'm afraid on the soppy camel

Jim, you asked about sanding

bigb17-028_2017-07-19.jpg
these are my sanding implements

at top green 3M Scotch pad - rather agressive, good for initial rough sanding. Being strands it gets into corners and around most shapes

Middle - Foam backed sanding pads in three grades of grit. These can be cut into any shape you want. Make small squares and hold with tweezers to get into tight corners or slice to a point etc. Very handy. I got a stack of them off ebay relatively cheap - don't buy from B&Q or similar they charge a fortune for them

Bottom - Wilko emery boards are most used

Hope that helps

Got to go now

SimonT

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Kingkit
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest