By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

A 1/48th Little Fokker...(BiplaneGB17)

Dr. I Triplane or...Watch me go down in flames!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Allen Dewire07/08/2017 19:51:41
1352 forum posts
966 photos

Late Afternnon All,

A small update from the weekend where the weather did play with for a change. It was a bit cooler and on Sunday, I did manage to start the control lines and stiffeners on the Fokker. (we still don´t use the R word)

I decided to use stretched sprue for the nasty deed. The red sprue from the kit didn´t want to play (stretch) and just fell apart when you tried to stretch it. Sprue from Dragon was what worked the best. I did spend an hour getting sprue stretched to the thinness I needed......

With all holes drilled in the fuselage. we began by gluing the little control lines in and then working them to the connection points on the flaps. They still need some glue and cleanup to make them look better. I also need to invest in a set of fine tweezers. A real PITA to pick them up and attach them, but only two bad words were spoken!!!.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes Sir, the lines were run through the rear wing to the upper flap moving thingys...They do look a bit thick to my eyes though..........

image.jpg

Here you can see that I didn´t cheat and the sprue does go through the wing. They are also in the correct order! The top line for the top flap mover lever, the middle line for the under flap mover lever and the bottom line for the rudder........Sorry for the bad pic as the iPad was throwing a hissy fit when I took these........

image.jpg

I also did the control lines on the top wing after I drilled through it. Again, I apologize for the bad hissy fit iPad photo. Just need to trim them and make sure they are securely glued in place so I don´t ping them off while handling the Fokker.......

image.jpg

I touched up the motor with more metal colors and touched up the MGs as well (no pic). The worst part is over as there are only 4 tensioning lines left to do. The X on the landing gear and the X between the fuselage and the top wing struts. There is still hope!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for looking and have a super week. The forecast for us is more hot weather...Welcome to Summer, Blahhhh! Comments and abuse cheerfully accepted..............................

Prost

Allen

John Race07/08/2017 21:58:59
6333 forum posts
1336 photos

Hello buddy.

Making your own control lines eh.Well I'm impressed. I just can't get the stuff to play the game, either it melts, or snaps. Your MoJo is indeed back, nice to see .

John .

Edited By John Race on 07/08/2017 21:59:38

Jim Barry08/08/2017 16:44:22
1120 forum posts
552 photos

Way to go with the control cables, Allen. That's really showing the love. I'm there now with my Fury. So nice at 1/24 . I feel for you at 1/48.

Fernando Nijhuis08/08/2017 19:40:59
640 forum posts
556 photos

Good job at making the control lines Allen, I think it is lots better than the twisted wire.face 23

The mg’s and engine look very nice, good progress.thumbs up

At least you have some summer temps, today was lots of rain and temp going below 20 degrees here in Holland, forecast is the same for the next days.face 11

Fernando

Paul Eberle08/08/2017 20:23:33
2532 forum posts
1634 photos

Some beautiful work here Allen. Monster mojo. PaulE

Edited By Paul Eberle on 08/08/2017 20:31:41

Allen Dewire12/08/2017 19:10:04
1352 forum posts
966 photos

Early Evening Good People,

Our weather has finally cooled off and of course came the rain too. Work has been a bear and has limited the table time...But.

John - Thanks Sir. Mojo is flying and I have always loved to play with stretching sprue. I guess the key is warming the sprue till it starts to melt. remove from heat source while gently pulling in opposite directions. It also depends on the make and quality of the plastic too.

Jim - So true my friend, but at 1/24th you can use twisted wire cable for the control lines and tensioners. It wasn´t really too bad using the sprue, but the old eyes, even with optivisor, had a hard time getting two pieces of the same diameter...Thanks for looking in and take care!

Fernando - The twisted wire was too big and a few pieces of sprue are too. It all came together in the end though.Thanks so much for the positive comments .It keeps me going as our weather has turned into what you had a few days ago!!! Rain and cold too...Next week is the return to summer. so they say..........

Paul - Too kind Sir...This little Fokker needs to get built and finished so I can move on to (maybe) finishing some old GB projects. Mojo is good. but monster, maybe next week!!! Have a good weekend Buddy...

So, for all you folks that thought maybe I was just sitting on my duff lately, this beer is for you!!!!!!!.....Ok, I mean update...........

image.jpg

I finally turned the little Fokker into a triplane, or maybe a fourplane (ain´t sure)???? After adding the landing gear wing thing, I had to prop up the assembly as the contact points are rather tiny under the wing. I let it dry for an hour so it would sit straight............

image.jpg

A side view shows that (with luck) everything is pretty much lined up correctly. Looks pretty bad-a$$ to me, but what do I know.........................

image.jpg

Then I put the motor in to make sure it fit. It´s hard to see the different colors used on it. You can barely make out the brass lines coming off the cylinder heads. The fourth wing actually lined up well................

image.jpg

Lastly, it was time to attach all the tiny stuff hanging out on the sprue. The two rear wing supports went smooth as well as the landing skid, but the two half circle thingies were a different story. i guess they are tie down loops or something. No problems with removing them the sprue and the first one went on without a prob. The second one decided to ping off the tweezers into the wild blue yonder...GRRR!!! Checked the floor, not there...Checked the table. not there either...Case of the glow-butt for sure!!! It turned up on the corner doily on the table, a meter away...

The foot step wazzit did the same thing. Took 20 minutes to find it too...At least I found them both. Then it was the 2 skid dings-bumms under the outer sides of the bottom wing. Yup, broke one in half and had to glue it back together...Damn sausage fingers!!!

Folks, there are only 7 parts left on the sprues!!!!!! I must be doing something right as I have used 70 parts on the little Fokker to date. Might even get lucky enough to shoot a coat tomorrow, if everything dries correctly..........

Thanks for looking, C, C and abuse welcome! This weekend......Be good, be careful, and if not, name him after me.............Time for a cold one!!!

Prost

Allen

John Race12/08/2017 21:42:33
6333 forum posts
1336 photos

Alan.

No abuse buddy, this is looking good thumbs up.I think you've done well with 3 sets of wings.

John.

Allen Dewire13/08/2017 16:09:02
1352 forum posts
966 photos

Good Afternoon One and All,

Thanks so much John, it was a little nerve wracking with the tiny bits. I really do need a stronger optivisor lens to work at smaller scales.

I had to put off the Hissy stick as I had forgotten the final step. We needed tensioning lines to complete the overall picture.

After a sprue stretching orgy this morning, we came up with this arrangement. After a test fit with tweezers and nipping them to length (by eye), I was amazed that they came out almost perfect. Glued the top lengths first with my Faller Super Expert. Turned the model right side up and tweaked the other end into position. I then hit them with a touch of TET to complete the nasty deed.......

image.jpg

After letting them dry, I began to wonder if I had had a senior moment with the top tension lines getting in the way of the MGs. The MGs sit about 1mm behind them when mounted. WHEW!!!...What a relief.

The best news is that I didn't ping off any of the tiny stuff while handling the Fokker today. Can't believe that!!!

Short and sweet update and if the weather stays cool, then we now can shoot a coat. Have a Super Sunday and all C, C and Abuse welcome.

Prost

Allen

Fernando Nijhuis13/08/2017 17:33:17
640 forum posts
556 photos

Hi Allen,

Agree with John, making 2 wings line up good is a challenge but 3!, very nice work mate.teeth 2

Nice looking cross bracing too, good luck with the painting.thumbs up

Fernando

Edited By Fernando Nijhuis on 13/08/2017 17:33:41

Sjors Greut13/08/2017 19:56:27
760 forum posts
244 photos

Allen,

First of my apologies for commenting this late...
You have did an amazing job on the build so far...
Keep it up!

Sjors

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
Kingkit
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ December
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbylink November 2
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest