By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Decal help please.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mick Charlesworth14/07/2017 18:12:39
1679 forum posts
419 photos

Good evening Gents. With my Gb now finished I've returned to my other two projects. One is the 1/48 F86 Sabre. I now have the new decals to replace the armour plated versions that come with the kit. These new ones are slightly thinner and easy to work with but I cant get them to settle into the panels lines etc. I have used Micro Sol and Set and a stronger product made by Walthers which on my Me109 had to be so very careful with decals as they settled in straight away and couldn't be touched. Does anyone have any recommendations for something else to try?

Many thanks

Mick

John Race15/07/2017 20:43:50
6157 forum posts
1310 photos

Mick.

Like you I'm waiting for some words of wisdom so a bump.smiley

John

Fernando Nijhuis15/07/2017 21:02:58
605 forum posts
366 photos

Hi Mick,

You might try Mr. Mark setter and softer.

Although Micro Set and Sol is my go to decal softer too, I find these two better at taking care of the more tougher decals, i've only used them on Revell's.

Good luck with the decals.

Fernando

Mick Charlesworth15/07/2017 21:22:15
1679 forum posts
419 photos

Thanks for that John, I've used quite a bit of stuff in the three decals that are on with minimal success so far. Thanks for that Fernando I thought the Walthers stuff would do it as it easily destroyed an old decal I first tested it on.

Mick

Richard Foenander16/07/2017 05:25:11
3698 forum posts
4580 photos

Hi Mick,

Fernando's suggestion is one way to go with stubborn decals.

How deep are the panel lines and are there many cos i would slice the decals with a sharp blade along these panels and let the decals settle in the panel line. Perhaps the decals are at their maximum stretch and cannot go any further. I would then have heavier panel wash to hide the cut decals.

Cheers,

Richard

Mick Charlesworth16/07/2017 23:31:50
1679 forum posts
419 photos

Hi Richard, some lines are pretty straight forward but some not so. I shall soldier on as I really like the model.

Mick

paul green 1531/07/2017 23:54:54
29 forum posts
11 photos

Sometimes I have had he same problem, no matter the amount you give it the decal wont conform. Some people use a qtip to put pressure on the decal. I take a paper towel, tear it in half an fold it into about a 3x3" square. I dip one corner in water and then pinch squash out the extra water so its just damp. I put the damp towel area over the decal and apply gentle pressure pushing it into the surface. push until i know any more could be danger.

Karl01/08/2017 08:49:10
1536 forum posts
77 photos
I'll second Paul's approach, direct pressure using the folded edge of a paper towel.
I have used heat in the past as well, from a hair dryer, and pressure as well.
I was informed by one decal maker that micro sol and set won't work on his decals. But they did.
Lewis Mrotzek02/08/2017 23:30:06
54 forum posts
37 photos
Mick,

Have you tried gloss coating the area , and of course letting it cure for a day, before laying down micro set/Sol?

Lewis
James Charlton22/08/2017 22:02:51
10 forum posts
9 photos

I have recently moved on from Humbrol Decalfix in water to Micro Set and Sol - These two are brilliant very useful.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Hobbylink November 2
Kingkit
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
HLJ Oct
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest