By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Preparing for the worst...Reforger M60A3

AFV Club M60 project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Gregory Mortara13/08/2017 10:13:25
326 forum posts
226 photos

If you are looking for more infos... check 2nd armored cavalry regiment based in Grafenvoer and the annex rose barracks... the website is well made...

Cheers Greg

Edited By Gregory Mortara on 13/08/2017 10:13:38

Mike Cartmale13/08/2017 12:34:28
234 forum posts
233 photos

Hi Alistair, very nice build, just browsing round and ended up going through the whole build. If you lose the winky light to the CM give me a shout I have a few spares ex AA, Cheers Mike.

Allen Dewire13/08/2017 14:35:27
1352 forum posts
966 photos

Hi Alistair,

I'm still hanging in there Buddy. Love the flow of info into this endeavor. It also brings back a lot of memories of Graf and Hohenfels and watching our M728 CEVs shooting their mortars on the range. I was lucky enough to be in Berlin when 40th Armor got their M1's. I was in the 42nd Engineer Company, 3rd Platoon, supporting 6/502nd infantry, '85 - '90.....

A nice clean job on the etch and all the little bits are turning this into another show stopper. Great to see the mojo flying high my friend. Please keep it up!!!!

Prost

Allen

Ranger7413/08/2017 15:26:40
83 forum posts
83 photos

Alistair,

Attached is a photo of some Taiwanese M60A3s at gunnery that illustrates what Rob meant by gunnery flag mounts. Notice red flags next to cupola sight box. The style of mounting I know about was a metal strip approximately {6"L x 1-1/2"w x 1/4" t) with two or three 6" tall sections of pipe welded to the top of the plate, standing vertically. The pipe had approximately 1/2" to 3/4" inside diameter to hold flag staffs. Style may vary on unit standards and/or skill of maintenance section's welder.

gunnery flags.jpg

Three flag capability was the norm in the 70s and early 80s. Two was the minimum requirement. This is the mounting practice for the M60A3. On the M60A1s the flag holder was attached to the .50 cal deflector behind the cupola. The M60A3 TTS did not have the rear gun deflector as they did not have the spare searchlight carrying bracket.

We left them mounted year round as normal practice was for a tank broken down on the side of the road to fly a yellow flag indicating mechanical problems to distinguish from a tank just parked on side of road.

Jeff

Road of Bones13/08/2017 20:39:43
3527 forum posts
3143 photos

Wow- some great stories and info there chaps! smile d You're not letting me get away with any detail-fudging are you?

Jeff- face 20 I can see how the Germans might have taken a dim view of you burning up their countryside. How did the TC deal with his hot-foot in the end? Did he have to bury his boot? Great info on the signal flag holders toothumbs up

Robin- more great info from you too, I guess that pic of you in the turret was also from the gunnery day, as I can see the cross-wind sensor installed on its mast behind you. The flag tubes are going to be interesting to make, as I'm not sure if I have tubes that fine in my scrap stash. The left blister is proving difficult to un-mount, so I will have to paint it black in there, or stick some 100mph tape over it. That first pic of the display 60 looks like it was painted by a modeller, but he needs to weather the tracks better, as they still look too plastic...face 20. I take it that gunnery days like the one you describe tend to make up for all those field days in crap weather you probably have to endure the rest of the time?

Gregory- thanks for that- will check it outthumbs up

Mike- glad you took the time to read through it all, and thanks for the offerface 1 I'll pm you if I need onethumbs up

Allen- good that you're still keeping tabs on me sirnerd If you've got any good tales and/or pics from your service, feel free to chip in- they don't have to be about the M60 after all!

Today was just too nice a day to be sat at the bench...so I decided to take some of the bench outside! smile d I parked myself at the table on the patio deck, and worked through the tracks, as they have to be made at some point! I used the AFV Club T142 workable track set, and I have to say that I cannot recommend them enoughthumbs up. They go together without a drop of glue, and are indeed fully workable:

img_3881.jpg

img_3882.jpg

The inner face of each link did have a couple of ejector marks, but a quick pass with the file sorted them out as I went along. Here's how they come on the sprue:

img_3883.jpg

I made them in runs of 5 links, by lining up 5 shoes, then clipped the sprue with the end-connectors off in blocks of 5, before simply pushing them onto the pins. A little fiddly at first, but once I got on a roll, I blitzed through both tracks, at 80 shoes per track. There are plenty of spares left over, so I can make some links for the turret later.

Sadly, that's my 2-week holiday finished now- back to the steelworks tomorrowface 14

Thanks for looking chaps,

Alistair kulou

Ranger7413/08/2017 22:32:40
83 forum posts
83 photos

Alistair,

1st - sorry your holiday has expired. Hope traffic is not too bad your first day back!

2nd - We were able to knock the chunk of phosphorous off of his boot teeth 2

3rd - as far as the flag holder...I would just forget it. Except for those of on this forum, no one will know.

4th - glad to hear you like the AFV track as I have their T97 track for my M48.

Jeff

Paul Eberle13/08/2017 22:36:52
2532 forum posts
1634 photos

Coming on beautifully Alistair. I've only seen the flag holders on the ROCO Bradleys in my scale, or any scale actually. Neat little detail. Great blog BTW. Enjoying it very much. PaulE

Dan Reed13/08/2017 23:23:28
1731 forum posts
93 photos

Here is the flag holder by the TC- https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS743US743&hl=en-US&biw=375&bih=591&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=htCQWY_WMuaR0wKUoo_ICA&q=m60a3+tank+germany&oq=m60a3+tank+germany&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3...55813.60117.0.60603.18.18.0.0.0.0.922.7354.0j6j4j0j3j2j3.18.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-img..11.3.1248...0j41j0i30k1j0i8i30k1j30i10k1.29p2lyVkBlg#imgrc=afShMc7j8Z_2uM:

Robin Gronovius14/08/2017 02:36:20
110 forum posts
Posted by Road of Bones on 13/08/2017 20:39:43:

Wow- some great stories and info there chaps! smile d You're not letting me get away with any detail-fudging are you?

Robin- more great info from you too, I guess that pic of you in the turret was also from the gunnery day, as I can see the cross-wind sensor installed on its mast behind you. The flag tubes are going to be interesting to make, as I'm not sure if I have tubes that fine in my scrap stash. The left blister is proving difficult to un-mount, so I will have to paint it black in there, or stick some 100mph tape over it.

Thanks for looking chaps,

Alistair kulou

The photo was at my first full up gunnery. That's when I found out that it did not work. Just use short pieces of styrene rod and hollow out the ends like a machine gun barrel. It will look good enough.

Paul Middleton 414/08/2017 07:15:55
90 forum posts

Morning All,

Absolutely cracking thread, producing useful input from veterans with informative photos. This is the sort of thing we need to get archived before the sources dry up, memories fade etc.

For those who have not had the pleasure of convoy drills, the standard flag arrangements were:

Blue: Convoy/Packet Leader.

Green: Last vehicle in packet/convoy.

Yellow: Breakdown.

Red: Carrying ammunition/Loaded ready to fire.

Black: (Not 100% sure on this) Navigator. I would welcome any updates from fellow readers.

Each time we went across the Channel they seemed to change rules on blue coloured filters for one headlamp, and on one occasion had to change filters when we crossed from Belgium to Germany. IIRC that was on Ex. Lionheart '84. I got to see a wide variety of vehicles and nationalities that year, good people and good fun (if knackering). A life time ago now.

Details like this really add to the realism of a model. For the flag holder I would source fine metal tubing and thin the walls at the top end with a mouse/rat-tail file.

HTH

Paul M.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
Kingkit
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ December
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbylink November 2
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest