By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Zvezda SD.KFZ. 251/3 Mittlerer Funkpanzerwagen

1/35 Radio Half Track

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Dave Ward12/08/2017 18:40:38
2511 forum posts
2417 photos

After a few days away from the bench, I have the feeling that I should start another 1/35 model - I had intended to start my HobbyBoss 1/48 aircraft, but I've gone off the idea........

The Zvezda model is one of the later offerings, no slide mould technology, but still looks very detailed. 360 parts, no photo etch - individual track links ( 2 part )

Loads of aerials including a nice star..

star.jpg

And a mast, that can be made up, or stowed

aeriel.jpg

A racking system for the radios...................

radio.jpg

All in all it looks pretty good, and I got it at just over £15, so that ticks the box in my satisfaction survey - I just hope the bits fit! Construction will start shortly.............

Dave

John Race12/08/2017 21:27:39
5899 forum posts
1273 photos

Dave .

I'm in . A T43 Zevzda was the first model I build when returning, so I have a soft spot for them, I know not everyone likes their kits, and maybe there not the best. But they can be fun to build .

John

Dave Ward12/08/2017 21:44:28
2511 forum posts
2417 photos

John,

there was a quantum leap in the Zvezda quality, around 2012, and their products are now pretty good, even though they haven't embraced PE, or slide mould technology. The pre 2012 models were a little, mmmmmm agricultural, to say the least, and this reputation is hard to live down. A little brand snobbery may also be a factor, but I don't feel that!! I have a 1/48 Zvezda Lavochkin La5FN in my stash, and it's exquisite ( If I could get my aircraft mojo back! ).

Dave

Matthew Hynett12/08/2017 21:51:18
14 forum posts
11 photos

Hi Dave, me too. I have one of these in the stash. Like John I think Zvezda kits are fun, they nearly always turn out well and if they don't, well it won't break the bank. Check out the track sag on my current Zvezda Panther D. Lovely. 20170812_211223.jpg(^_^)

Andy Wright Essex13/08/2017 08:57:33
374 forum posts
934 photos

Hi Dave, I've got the Revell version of this making its way to the top of the stash. I've got some Dragon spares where needed. Are you making it OOB? Regards Andy

Dave Ward13/08/2017 09:24:57
2511 forum posts
2417 photos

Andy,

OOB, I hope, unless I run into problems! I do have some Dragon radio operators somewhere, so a figure might be added. I think that if I want to build it with the aerial mast up, it would have to go into a diorama, I'll have to ponder that.................

Dave

John Race13/08/2017 11:08:34
5899 forum posts
1273 photos

Dave .

A good description for anything mechanical from Russia in those days .smiley

John.

Dave Ward13/08/2017 13:03:31
2511 forum posts
2417 photos

After a search of the stash, I came up with

dragon radio ops.jpg

and also..............

zvezda halftrack crew.jpg

A bit of cross kitting, and I think I can add a few figures

Dave

Allen Dewire13/08/2017 14:17:34
1278 forum posts
791 photos

Hi Dave,

This one is going to be very interesting Sir. A new title might be DDD or Dave Does Dio. I'm all eyes on this as I love a half track. Got Zvezda's 251/1 Ausf. B and all 3 of the 4500s in the stash somewhere.

Prost

Allen

Dave Ward13/08/2017 16:57:48
2511 forum posts
2417 photos

Under way! A little wisp of flash here and there, but nothing to cause any problems.

First, the engine - 16 parts. This was done to see the fit, as it will be completely invisible!

engine 01.jpg

Even with the bonnet open, tou won't see a great deal..............

The chassis - side rails etc. 10 parts. I've no doubt that this would be moulded in one piece by other manufacturers

chassis 01.jpg

Looking ahead I can see a weak point - the idlers are mounted on small pins that look VERY flimsy, so some metal bits may be fitted..................

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest