Bending tracks?

Revell 1/72nd tracks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Perry Rowe12/08/2017 22:58:05
1137 forum posts
951 photos

Hi

Could someone advise how I can bend the runs of tracks in my PzIV kit? I am trying to show a shed track and need to have S-shaped runs and some serious sags. I tried steam but the plastic doesn't seem to get soft enough.

Perry

Scottie12/08/2017 23:18:29
5522 forum posts
784 photos
1 articles

Perry,

​I presume from your description they are rubber tracks. The way I have done it in the past is to form the track where you want it bit by bit and secure with superglue. I am sure there are other ways as well and this is the place to find out.

SimonT13/08/2017 00:34:01
11375 forum posts
9268 photos

Hi Perry,

I suspect these are the link and length type as used in a lot of the Revell 72nd range - if so I think I would probably use my JLC razor saw to separate all the links as it removes minimal plastic

You can then stick them back together and induce the bends - you do of course need to remember to allow for the limits to which the track hinge will bend

SimonT

Perry Rowe13/08/2017 10:22:39
1137 forum posts
951 photos

Thanks both.

They are indeed link and length as you say Simon. I shall try some careful sawing on a short length first.

Marty Elliott13/08/2017 10:45:39
172 forum posts
388 photos

Hi Perry...maybe try using the razor saw but only cut a line on the inside or outside of the track depending on the shape of the bend ... enough to allow the link to bend without breaking up the track run....a touch of glue in the joint should hold it in place...Marty

Mike Cartmale13/08/2017 12:38:20
152 forum posts
175 photos

Hello Perry, To add to the info above when you start to re assemble your track make a former out of card to the profile you need and glue the tracks to follow it. Hope this helps, Mike.

Perry Rowe20/08/2017 23:26:50
1137 forum posts
951 photos

Carefully sawing the inside gave a pretty good sag to the good side (only one unintended break) so I will continue to practice the method. The existing individual links should give me the tighter bends I need. Fingers crossed.

John Race21/08/2017 00:01:08
5899 forum posts
1273 photos

Perry .

Could you show some photos please, it's something I want to do in my Russian dio .

John.

Sjors Greut21/08/2017 20:57:48
689 forum posts
228 photos

Hey Perry,

Did a quick search and found this video.

Hope it helps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l3I6vV6aUDs

Sjors

Perry Rowe05/10/2017 23:03:26
1137 forum posts
951 photos

I used the saw on the lengths and this is how it turned out...img_0014.jpg

Not bad I thought.

On the other side was where all the hard work had to happen though:

img_0004.jpg

I think it came out well. I have some more work to do to weather the tracks, etc, and nothing is glued down yet. Incidentally the piece of poo is supposed to be a smokescreen. teeth 2

The scene is based on a photograph taken in Cassino.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest