BTR-80 {ST}

old style Zvezda 1/35

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

SimonT16/08/2017 01:48:15
11323 forum posts
9257 photos

Morning all,
sorry, not been around much lately with one thing and another but have been trying to read as many posts as possible, even if not commenting very often

Work is still mental and Dad still needs time so not had much modelling time either and haven't really felt like tackling the 7 or the soppy camel

Have managed to assemble and half paint a 35th figure over the last couple of weeks and have now pulled this thing off the heap to have a go at as I needed something relatively simple that I can just do a few minutes on per day

It is early style Zvezda so flash, poor parts fit, soft plastic, sinkage, not overly detailed but then they are cheap - loverly stuff

Nearly every flat panel on the hull needed sanding/scraping to get them flat as they were anything but flat

There are gaps due to parts simply not fitting very well even when fettled

Here be pictures......

btr80-002_2017-08-16.jpg
trying to persuade the hull parts that they should be joined together

btr80-003_2017-08-16.jpg
three part wheel hubs assembled - look a bit bare. I think they may be missing the auto pressure/remote inflation system parts so need to check references

btr80-004_2017-08-16.jpg
I am going to try and resurrect this tyre that I scratch built a few years back, tidy it up and cast a few copies - the kit tyres are horrible hard glossy vinyl and rather skinny

btr80-005_2017-08-16.jpg
hole between entry door frame and hull

btr80-006_2017-08-16.jpg
gaps at the rear lower hull had to be plugged with card as no amount of waggling would get the fit any better

Bye for now - updates will likely be few and far between so don't hold your breath teeth 2

SimonT

John Race16/08/2017 06:58:32
5692 forum posts
1225 photos

Morning Simon.

I'll grab a seat at the front and put my feet up, ( on a stool and not a chair I hasten to add ) love the trussed up shot, looks like its about to go into the oven !!

John .

SimonT16/08/2017 08:00:52
11323 forum posts
9257 photos

Morning John

The oven would be a good place for this - at least as a molten blob there would be no fit issues face 20

SimonT

Peter Day 116/08/2017 08:45:32
5377 forum posts
1791 photos

Good to see you back Simon -sorry that work/life issues are getting in the way.

Certainly some issues with that kit. I've only ever attempted one Zvedza kit, a 1/72 BT5. The turret was entirely etch - obviously it defeated me.

That scratch tyre is something else

Peter.

jimbo16/08/2017 08:49:28
13442 forum posts
2531 photos

Morning Simon

Sitting with John. This is right up your street - a totally hopeless kit face 20 I remember that wheel I think.

Hope work calms down and that your dad improves.

Jim

Andrew Belsey 216/08/2017 13:43:17
1747 forum posts
1060 photos

Simon,

I too hope that your dad improves and that work calms for you to entertain us further. I've been away but for better reasons - holiday. Keep it coming when you can!

Andy B

Dave Ward16/08/2017 16:33:13
2422 forum posts
2271 photos

Simon,

yep, the Zvezda BTR models are pretty dire - I've got one that I started and abandoned many years ago, looking in the box, it still doesn't look any better! AM replacements can be used, but that defeats the whole point of buying cheap!

I'm happy with the 'new' Zvezda models, quality is now very good, and some good subjects. ( my Zvezda Sd.Kfz 251/3 radio vehicle is going along nicely ).

I hope that work is not affecting you, I firmly believe that high workload, stress, and consequent poor lifestyle brought on my diabetes.......... It wasn't until I retired that I realised the negative effects of that working environment had on me - not only health, but also socially. Add aging parents, and that just multiplies the problems.....

Dave

Steve Jones 1217/08/2017 07:10:52
3160 forum posts
7911 photos

Mornin Mr T

I hope all is well. I am sorry to hear life is so busy for you at the moment. It's always lovely to see you start a new project though. Good luck with the build and I look forward to seeing your detailing and scractheryyes

Steve

SimonT17/08/2017 07:56:20
11323 forum posts
9257 photos

Cheers Pete - fully etched turret sounds good to me but haven't seen that kit. The wheel needs a bit of work but I think it is still better than the kit version

Jim - hopeless is a good description face 20 You have seen the wheel before - needs a bit of tidying up before I try casting it again. Didn't get brilliant results last time so hoping for better this time around

Andy - thanks. Hope you had a good hol

Dave - in a move that will likely see me frogmarched out of Yorkshire I have splashed out cash on an Eduard set and a brass gun barrel from Poland face 20 Got the kit cheap in a sale though so overall still cheap so I may get away with it

I am with you on the stress/diabetes thing - same has already happened to me. 2008/09 I was working up to 20hr a day including weekends, living off the vending machines in the office. I am sure it contributed to giving me a tumour and diabetes based on what the hospital told me - not good

Steve - thanks.

No progress - sat down last night to do a few minutes but passed out and woke up in a heap at 1am, went to bed thinking

Ho hum

Anyway, time to go to work again so ta ta for now

SimonT

jimbo17/08/2017 08:02:20
13442 forum posts
2531 photos

Hi Simon

Was that the wheel where the cast pulled off bits of rubber in the tread when taking it out?

Jim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest