Introducing Mookies Miniatures

200mm SBS Falklands Bust

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Day 121/08/2017 09:49:56
5377 forum posts
1791 photos

received_1098240600310102.jpeg

I am honoured to be able to introduce a new venture by our good friend, Richard Pearce - Mookies Miniatures.

A few months ago Richard contacted me to say the he had something new in the offing, and would I like to do the box art for his first bust. I was of course overwhelmed and flattered to be asked, and jumped at the chance to be involved.

Richard's first offering is a 200mm bust of a member of the SBS during the Falklands conflict, and it has been sculpted by none other than the great Maurice Corry. The above photo and the following two are Mr Corry's own production shots:

received_1098240523643443.jpegreceived_1098240680310094.jpeg

Our man is wearing a dpm Arctic smock, and is equipped with a Bergen, ammo pouches, a pistol and smoke grenade. He is armed with a US M16 rifle, as favoured by many British special forces operatives.

So, I awaited the arrival of the kit and was not disappointed with what I found in the box:

002.jpg

This is a prototype casting of course, but won't be much different from the commercial offering. Richard is also planning some alternative heads and even some legs to make this into a full figure.

As one would expect from Maurice Corry, the kit is beautifully sculpted, and Richard has produced an excellent casting that puts this up with the best on the market.

Here is a reference pic I dug up:

05c5a6ef7fc0dd7b3de55e1e9af69797.jpg

Very similar to our man, as you can see.

For my part, I have never painted anything later than the Vietnam era and have never painted dpm camo, so it's going to be a real challenge. The other thing I'm slightly concerned about is the lettering on the smoke grenade, which may have to be hand-painted.

I will run this thread as the usual sbs, and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. And I just want to say a big thank you to Richard for asking me to get involved and for his faith in my abilities (gulp!)..

Peter.

jimbo21/08/2017 09:58:29
13442 forum posts
2531 photos

Hi Peter

The bust looks stunning. I am in no doubt that you will do it justice.

Jim

Edited By jimbo on 21/08/2017 10:00:45

Wouter21/08/2017 10:03:46
5723 forum posts
2162 photos

Oh that looks a rather nice figure. And your work is just stunning so about time one would ask you to do the box art. Congrats mate. Looking forward to see the result!

Cheers

John Race21/08/2017 10:32:31
5692 forum posts
1225 photos

Peter.

This is indeed a great honour to be asked, and one which I'm sure we all agree you deserve.

You will do a cracking job .

John.

Richard Foenander21/08/2017 11:06:26
3480 forum posts
4458 photos

This is great news Peter and am happy for you. You're definitely the man for the job. The bust is a stunning canvas for your painting skills.

Will be looking forward to seeing the progress.

Cheers,

Richard

Durk21/08/2017 11:22:56
1395 forum posts
676 photos

Hi Peter, great introduction. Sure you'll turn this into a lovely box art!

DIRK

Peter Day 121/08/2017 11:55:30
5377 forum posts
1791 photos

Thanks for looking in chaps and for your encouraging words. I only hope I can do the thing justice and reward Richard's faith in me.

It's now cleaned up and partly assembled, ready for painting:

003.jpg

Needless to say, the fit was almost perfect, with only a tiny bit of filling required at the join of the right arm. The amount of clean up required was minimal.

As you know, I prefer to paint as much separately as possible, so the above state is enough to start work.

I'm raring to go on this, but I need to head off now to buy some new brushes, so I'll probably start on the head tomorrow.

Peter.

PS I forgot to mention that Richard has include a pedestal base with the kit:

005.jpg

However, he's realised that it won't really accommodate the hanging pouches, so is coming up with another solution. He's been advised that he doesn't really need to provide a base anyway, as most modellers prefer to make their own for this type of thing, and I tend to agree.

Edited By Peter Day 1 on 21/08/2017 12:01:10

John Race21/08/2017 12:26:32
5692 forum posts
1225 photos

Must say it looks beautifully moulded, such detail.

John.

Andrew Belsey 221/08/2017 12:45:42
1747 forum posts
1060 photos

Great news Peter!

We all know that you can do it! Just do your usual magic and we'll all be happy!

Andy B

Paul Eberle21/08/2017 14:10:52
2372 forum posts
1539 photos

Great news Peter & well deserved recognition. Model on. PaulE

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for £3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest