No tusks and blubber (BiplaneGB17)

Bringing back to life a Matchbox 1/72 Supermarine Walrus

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

jimbo19/09/2017 11:33:13
13794 forum posts
2610 photos

Hi Richard

The interior is excellent. That 'spiders web' engine looks fun. That is some clamp you have there - those body halves aren't going anywhere face 20

Jim

Richard Foenander19/09/2017 16:18:24
3744 forum posts
4606 photos

Thanks Jim,

The clamps are off...checking if filler is needed, so far ok . While aligning the top seam it created a step on the bottom of the fuslage which was easily sanded.

Will look at the engine nacelle where some missing panels will be added, then some pre-painting before gluing and stringing up the rigging. Hopefully won't look so spider web like.

This build will pass over the finish deadline seeing it's less than two weeks away. Obviously more complex than the Tiger Moth especially planning the rigging.

Cheers,

Richard

Andrew Belsey 219/09/2017 19:04:09
1856 forum posts
1075 photos

Taking shape very nicely Richard!

Andy B

John Race19/09/2017 19:45:10
6319 forum posts
1336 photos

Richard.

Agree with Jim on those clamps, like the depth you can get. I wonder if they are available in the uk?

Looking fwd to the photos of the matingsurprise

John.

Si Benson19/09/2017 21:27:50
3690 forum posts
921 photos

Evening Richard,

just had a smooch through and seeing some lovely stuff, the interior looked great. You certainly know what your doing with these winged wondersthumbs up

Si

Richard Foenander20/09/2017 04:37:33
3744 forum posts
4606 photos

Thanks Andrew, a slender looking Walrus shape it will be.

John, I got the clamps from the Japanese dime store. They're actually clothes pegs. The wide clearance helps and the spring not too heavy so and gives just enough preasure.

Si, thanks, I'm not one of those rivet counters and just know detail on the surface of both armour and aircraft...not enough to super detail accurately. I sometimes am lucky with my sense of scale and perspective in eye balling without the need to measure precisely. One rule I have for dios is that for building heights the following floor should be a fraction shorter of the previous moving up so that the overall does not overpower the base and for figures is to bunch them as close as possible...nothing looks more weird than a group in discussion three scale feet apart.

Cheers,

Richard

Marty Elliott20/09/2017 08:53:14
177 forum posts
382 photos

hi Richard......really enjoying this build--I had briefly toyed with having a go at this one but having seen the work u have put in im glad I didn't! couldn't have matched what u have done with this venerable old kit...completely agree with what u said about detailing in this scale..its possible to get a good impression of the subject without having to go into the superdetailing...just wish I could stick to this mantra on all my buildssad...nice tip on using thick solder wires for the exhausts...i'll borrow that for my build if I may?? maybe I missed it in the thread but have u decided on a paint scheme yet? would love to see a metal finish...........cheers Marty

Richard Foenander20/09/2017 17:56:16
3744 forum posts
4606 photos

Hi Marty, thanks...glad you like the WIP. Would have been great if you had built in tandem. Your Tupolev is looking good.

You're welcome anytime to use any tips I come across or do.

A metal finish would mean I have to treat the surface. I'll be going with the camo version to hide any mistakes face 20

Here's some progress on the engine nacelle with some added surface detail...

w0037.jpg

The propeller hub disc has been added and the gunners door cover has been treated to a clear window. Will mask the bracings in later.

w0038.jpg

Fuselage closed...needs just a little filler behind the cockpit.

That's it for the night.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard Foenander22/09/2017 13:41:58
3744 forum posts
4606 photos

More updates...

Filled the slight step and sanded smooth. Also added rails for the gunners door...a bit crude.

w0039.jpg

Then painted the engine nacelle...took about two hours with the masking and repainting the rigging...

w0040.jpg

Repositioned some of the panels if you look quite closely.

Cheers,

Richard

Fernando Nijhuis23/09/2017 17:24:19
640 forum posts
556 photos

Hi Richard,

Great looking progress on the Walrusthumbs up, pretty smart to think ahead and put in wires before it’s too late.wink 2

The painted engine nacelle looks very nice, what version are you going to make?

Fernando

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ December
Kingkit
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbylink November 2
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest