1/48 I-16. Lagg-3, Yak-3, La-5FN

WWII Russian Fighters, ICM, Eduard, Zvezda

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

jimbo11/10/2017 15:24:36
13543 forum posts
2564 photos

Hi Dave

Sorry about your airbrush. We do become attached to a faithful old friend. Still Christmas is not far away wink 2

That engine and cockpit is most definitely not for the faint hearted. Looks great now though. The body fit underneath is a bit poor but I'm sure you have it sorted.

Jim

Dave Ward11/10/2017 15:44:45
2504 forum posts
2403 photos

Back on track, underside blue, and top camo sprayed

la 5 underside blue.jpg

la 5 top camo 01.jpg

la 5 top camo 02.jpg

A few areas need local attention, but next, an overall coat of varnish, to seal, and even the surface. Next, I have the engine to fit, and the guns, that should add interest..............or should I decal up? Decisions, decisions

Dave

Gregory Mortara11/10/2017 15:52:07
244 forum posts
170 photos

WOW... Stunning built.. the details in the engine are very accurate... and indeed it looks like a very complex built.. but you are really doing a great job Dave

Have a nice day

Greg

Dave Ward12/10/2017 15:56:21
2504 forum posts
2403 photos

Decals added, and the engine mated to the fuselage - tricky - not only the rear of the engine, but also the 5 exhaust pipes either side through their respective slots..............

la 5 engine & decal 01.jpg

la 5 engine & decal 02.jpg

Removed a fair amount of the exhaust paint - but there's a plate that fits over the top of the stubs...........

la 5 cowls decal.jpg

Two loose cowl sides, and the nose. BareMetal foil edging added.

Next will be to afd the 20mm cannon on top of the engine, and the nose, which will really make it look like a proper fighter.

Dave

Dave Ward13/10/2017 15:47:47
2504 forum posts
2403 photos

Guns and cowl added, just a bit fiddly getting things lined up, as there are no location pegs to help.....

la 5 cowls added 01.jpg

la 5 cowls added 02.jpg

la 5 cowls added.jpg

I had to source a new tailwheel, as I had managed to knock off ( and lose ) the original. Luckily, tailwheel doors disguise its non-Russian origin. Only the undercarriage, canopy, and a few other bits to go now.

Dave

John Race13/10/2017 18:26:04
5878 forum posts
1273 photos

Looking good Dave.

The engine detail was well worth the effort. Sorry to read about the ABcrying

John.

Dave Ward14/10/2017 13:09:38
2504 forum posts
2403 photos

Nearly there, I've added the undercarriage, done a panel wash, and a sealing matt varnish coat............

la 5 nearly 01.jpg

la 5 nearly 02.jpg

I've masked the canopy bits, ready for painting the frames, should have finished this by Monday - then onto my Engineering GB entry

Dave

Dave Ward16/10/2017 11:27:00
2504 forum posts
2403 photos

I'm calling this finished.......................

la 5 fin 01.jpg

la 5 fin 02.jpg

la 5 fin 03.jpg

la 5 fin 04.jpg

The Zvezda La-5FN is a very detailed model, with a lot of interior bits - most of which can't be seen when assembled, the interior frames make it tricky to get the fuselage halves together. The engine is nicely detailed, but again tricky to assemble to the airframe.

The La-5FN is a very nice model, but not for the beginner, the number of parts, and complexity of assembly need a fair amount of experience - but worth it ( and good value for money! ).

The 4 x 1/48 Russian fighters have been a good little project, but not one I would repeat, four is too many!

Dave

John Race16/10/2017 13:31:33
5878 forum posts
1273 photos

Dave .

Like that 2nd shot thumbs up

John.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Kingkit
Parabellum
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest