By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New busts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Gillson13/09/2017 19:37:23
853 forum posts
708 photos

As well as the failure of the resin in my Dunkirk vignette, I have had some positive modelling, two busts I have sculpted:

The first is a WW1 bust of a VC recipiant, De Wiart.

de wiart.jpg

He was quite possibly the one of the most wounded souldiers of the war, it seems that he was wounded in every action he took part in.

The second is another VC recipient, Grenfell, one of the first of WW1 ( his moustache was based on another photo and needs to be reduced a little):

grenfell.jpg

All comments and critisisms welcome, especially thoughts on improving their likenesses.

Peter

Tim Marlow13/09/2017 21:03:07
1246 forum posts
1018 photos

Hi Peter

In the spirit of your query, I will say what I see. This is supposed to be positive criticism to help you achieve a better likeness, as this is so far out of my comfort zone it's scary.....so please don't think this is negative in any way.

De Wiart looks pretty much spot on. Ears are a little more pronounced in his photograph, and he looks indefinably older, but that may change with paint.

Grenfell needs a little more work I think. The ears are definitely not pronounced enough, he has taxi doors in his photo....and I think the chin on the sculpt is a little too Bruce Forsyth in appearance.

I'm very impressed overall though....top stuff, well done.

Cheers

Tim

Peter Gillson13/09/2017 21:21:30
853 forum posts
708 photos

Tim

It is great to have another opinion, so no worries, Your commets are helpful. It may sound daft but I had not really noticed how far my bust's ears do not stick out. I am not good at ears, my current bust project is and ECW figure with his ears covered up.

I think I can improve the chin by reducing the 'tash and enhancing the 'bulge' for the lower lip and a little chin reduction fileing.

Here is another photo of him with the longer 'tash.

img_0450.jpg

Peter

Tim Marlow13/09/2017 22:09:23
1246 forum posts
1018 photos

Hi Peter

The lip bulge will help, as will a chinectomy..funnily enough, I think he has the air of Salvador Dali about him as his is.....it's probably the moustache, but looking again the nose may also be a little short..though that could be the angle of the photo.

Cheers

Tim

Peter Gillson14/09/2017 11:46:47
853 forum posts
708 photos

Tim

You are right about Salvador, perhaps I should get rid of the helmet, drape a watch over his shoulder and some drawers out of his chest.

A series of bust of modern artists in their painting style, now that would be a challenge!

Back to reality - I think the nose is more the angle of the photo than anything.

Thank for the input, really is appreciated.

Peter

Peter Gillson13/10/2017 21:13:37
853 forum posts
708 photos

Hi guys

I took the busts to EuroMil and got some really useful advice. Here is a reworked De Wiart. I slightly re-worked the eye using Green Stuff and shaved a little from the temples, and reworked the whole of the chest which was a little flat.

9c966cb8-6301-4de4-9209-9e8d02eb0da3.jpeg

345a0538-70ef-49cf-91cc-a4193cece571.jpeg

d7d66f68-28ba-4f27-abb9-496e62deee44.jpeg

All comment and critisms are welcome

Peter

Peter Lynch 213/10/2017 23:11:39
68 forum posts

Peter,

Viewing your well-turned out models, I wish I could reproduce anatomy in model form as convincingly as you have in these two busts. When you spoke of De Wiart being one of the most wounded soldiers, you weren't kidding! Judging by the bust, after all those battles most of him appears to be missing.

Peter

jimbo14/10/2017 10:26:16
13720 forum posts
2597 photos

Hi Peter

You have made a great job of these two. A real credit to you - sculpting a likeness must be just about the hardest thing to do.

Jim

Peter Day 114/10/2017 10:40:09
5753 forum posts
1427 photos

Peter - Agree with Jim. Well done for getting such a good likeness, one of the hardest things to pull off. Great work.

Peter.

Peter Gillson14/10/2017 19:00:29
853 forum posts
708 photos

Guys - thanks for the compliments. This chap was a real "boy's own hero", an amazing life story.

Looking at the photo, 'i tgink I may need to slightly widen the neck, it is a little bit narrower than gis collar, but other than that think it is must about sculpted.

now to work on Grengell VC ...

Peter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Hobbylink November 2
Kingkit
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
HLJ Oct
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest