By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

unexpected lunch guests

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Otten22/09/2017 01:35:10
18 forum posts
43 photos

Thanks for the support guys!

And peter, I'll deffinitly look into belsy's posting. I'm dutch so obiously I have the receipt to get my money back for the tamiya kit .

Unfortinatly the IPA's and jägermeisters got the better of me tonight. So the only two wise decisions I made tonight where, making a *** load of money on the slot machine (wich will probably be spended on nee kits and materials) and not touching my models while being more than tipsy.

I'll try getting some more work done when I get off work tomorrow, to keep you front row people sattisfeid hahah.

cheers🍻

jimbo22/09/2017 09:45:17
13555 forum posts
2568 photos

Hi Robert

Peter is right about the sandbags. Making them yourself will result in a more realistic look. This is a link to Andrew's instructions *HERE* and *HERE*.

I used Andrew's method for mine - 1/72 but looked OK.

p1040784.jpg

p1040794.jpg

Jim

Edited By jimbo on 22/09/2017 09:46:47

Daniel Horvath22/09/2017 10:39:53
73 forum posts
210 photos

Hi Robert you have a nice scene planned look for to your progress . Regards Danny

Jason Crausby22/09/2017 20:50:57
559 forum posts
435 photos

Great idea Robert.... and looking good so far... the figures look fairly decent as well... not a make I've come across myself??

Jason.

Robert Otten22/09/2017 21:13:13
18 forum posts
43 photos

Thanks for all the great tips on how to do the sandbags, i used to make them in a similair fasion, back in my warhammer days, from green stuff.

So I ordered the miliput online today, hopfully it will arrive on monday. I have two days off from work then so i might get some work done then. First I have to find a good pattern for the steet (I probably want cobble stone) and I have to figure out how to do the sidewalk.

After that i can get started with the plaster and make a lot of rubble, because most of the building is destroyed , I looked at some pictures of bombed german city's and in most of them nothing is standing up strait anymore so thats the look i'm going for. Any tips on how to make that kind of rubble?

Keith Hiscock23/09/2017 02:02:22
280 forum posts
515 photos

Hi Robert.

You're off to a good start and looks like being an interesting diorama, I will keep a look in.

Keith

Andrew Belsey 223/09/2017 09:34:55
1797 forum posts
1075 photos

Robert,

Miliput is great for sandbags - I've done it that way too. The only advantage of Fimo is you can treak it until you're happy that they sit well together before baking. Have fun!

Andy B

Steve Jones 1224/09/2017 06:38:41
3342 forum posts
8510 photos

Robert

It looks like I have arrived just in time. This looks like a real challenge which you have started off so well. Good luck with rest

Steve

Robert Otten25/09/2017 19:05:08
18 forum posts
43 photos

thanks for all the support and interest guys!

here is a quick update. Today I started with the road section. I wanted to make a cobblestone road and looked at different ways to make them.

I started by making a mold for the road section, using cardboard. and filled it up with quick plaster.

img_2080.jpg

after it was dry enough to release it flom the mold I flipped it upside down so I had the smooth surface up.

I used two old paintbrushes and stripped away the hairs and shaped the metal part the size I wanted the bricks to be.img_2081.jpg

using the brushes I started laying out the brick pattern.

img_2082.jpg

this technique worked really nice while the plaster is not completely set. Unfortunately when coming to the end of the road the plaster was to hard (and the metal on the brushes started to wear down) and the last part of the road broke off. I'm not planning on making a new one and because it is such a small section I'll probably cover it with sand and rubble, so I'm not that bummed out about it.

here are some pictures of how it will look like on the diorama.

img_2083.jpg

img_2084.jpg

and as always, feel free to give your comments and critique :D

cheers!

Scottie25/09/2017 20:18:59
5522 forum posts
784 photos
1 articles

Robert,

​That is a great result and the broken edge just adds to the effect.

Scottie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Expo Tools July 14
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest