By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Lorraine 37L by RMP towing PAK 40 by AFV Club (EngGB2017)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Jones 1216/10/2017 16:45:26
3461 forum posts
8720 photos

Jim - They do look quite nice don't theycheekyyes. Thanks for the feedback

Fernando - I can just about cope with the destructions, its the lack of sprue numbers that's a painlaugh

Sjors - A big spiral firework launcher just in time for November 5thwink

John - It's not so much the bending is the issue but more the constant measuring and bending of the correct horizontal length. It's on the Xmas list so hopefully Santa will be good to meface 20

Si - I am thinking of rivet updates for every time I have to put one onface 20. It's trying to keep the mojo going to keep doing the same pain in backside build six times overcrying 2

Bogie update - 3 done - 3 to goyes

Andy Claesens17/10/2017 14:50:32
10957 forum posts
9883 photos
16 articles

Steve,

That is some amazing work you have going on there. Stunning stuff.thumbs upstar

Andybeer

Peter Low 317/10/2017 17:35:27
286 forum posts
180 photos

Hi Steve bit late sorry, some very nice work going on here, love the detailing work, good luck with the rest of the build.

Pete thumbs up

Steve Jones 1219/10/2017 18:40:30
3461 forum posts
8720 photos

Hi Everyone

Andy - Glad you like it. More of the same to come

Peter - Great to have you along. I am enjoying the detailing work

Bogie Update - Still three done and three to goblush

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.

For want of a shoe the horse was lost.

For the want of 2mm the build was lost.

As with all my AFV builds lately issues with sprockets have been the undoing for me. This occasion the Friul metal sprocket is 2mm bigger than the original plastic one meaning all the other wheels have had to be moved up making the spacings incorrect from the bogies. This is how it should be

img_0126.jpg

and this is how it has ended up

img_0127.jpg

The other issue is, the tracks will not fit under the upper hull. I presume I will have to add a 2mm strip all the way round the lower hull. Never done that before so that should be funcrying.

The two inner idlers are now out of position also

img_0128.jpg

Cant do anything about that so will just have to live with it.

The rear drive wheels were like this

img_0130.jpg

They should look like this

4301.jpg

(For discussion purposes only)

So after a little tinkering we have thisyes

img_0131.jpg

So from a distance its not toooooo badwink

img_0132.jpg

Then after 33 0.8 to 0.5mm rivets, a couple of hooks and PE brackets and a milliput weld line(Which still needs attentionlaugh) this is where I am at

img_0137.jpg

img_0138.jpg

As you can see there are one or two things not quite right so these will be changed and then its onto the other side

Thanks for watching

Steve

13987438923_abb2b47bf2_b.jpg

(For discussion purposes only)

Richard Foenander19/10/2017 19:04:31
3692 forum posts
4577 photos

Hi Steve,

Wow! Doing the Simon thingy huh...great modifications and corrections. thumbs up No wonder you've been quiet for a while.

It's always scary when AM stuff don't fit.

Cheers,

Richard

John Race19/10/2017 21:44:37
6150 forum posts
1310 photos

Steve .

That's an annoying moment, so feel for you esp when it was starting to come together. Have every confidence that you will win .

John.

SimonT20/10/2017 01:13:43
11437 forum posts
9311 photos

Steve,

Aye up matey - from what you have posted I think you may have taken a bit of a wrong turn with this one.....

lorraine.jpg
check out the relative position of the first return roller and the drive sprocket which runs inside it - this looks to be the case from other photos as well

I doubt that the bogies actually need relocating - I think the problem lies with the return rollers and the rear idler positions in relation to the spring units

lorraine1.jpg
relative positions of the large and small return rollers, the idler and the top of the spring

lorraine3.jpg
the separate red blocks labelled 'A' don't really exist as such - if you look at the reference photo this should actually be part of the spring end holder

the return rollers arrowed are all too high in relation to the springs which is why the tracks won't fit in.

Lowering the return rollers looks like it should bring the front one nearer to the correct position in relation to the sprocket

The idler also therefore sits too high as well and needs to come down slightly - look how close the kit one is to top of side plate compared to the real thing

Hope that makes sense

SimonT

Alan Mckenzie20/10/2017 09:24:51
3027 forum posts
11 photos

Hi

Following on from Simon's observations I think the scratch built pieces either side of the rollers are probably in the right place but in relation to the rollers, the rollers are sitting above them not below them. Probably the manufacturers put a hole for the roller but there may be another below it you should use.

Should be an easy fix.

Your a gluten for punishment with this kit. I sold mine in the hope someone else would bring the range out. Panda do the self propelled gun version - Marder 1 but it's not as detailed as I would have hoped for a kit released these days.

Alan

Edited By Alan Mckenzie on 20/10/2017 09:32:06

Hooch20/10/2017 09:29:50
349 forum posts

Nice additions to the idler wheel, looks a lot better.thumbs up

It looks to me that the central hub of it is curved, is that the case?

Alan Mckenzie20/10/2017 09:44:38
3027 forum posts
11 photos

Hi

Here is the Panda Marder 1 to compare how the tracks etc look and fit.

Right mouse click on image and select view image from menu  to get an  enlarged view.

Alan

Edited By Alan Mckenzie on 20/10/2017 09:45:58

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest