nathanyel18/10/2017 22:59:23
158 forum posts
496 photos

very nice

Jeffrey Leiby19/10/2017 15:26:20
10 forum posts
Posted by Mike Cartmale on 17/10/2017 23:07:23:

Hi Jeff,

The amount of times I have gone through the book, and not once did it occur to me to check the colour of the periscopes. And many thanks for correcting me, and it was good to read about your experience with the M113, and no, you did not lecture me. Yes the art of finishing a model has changed a lot from a coat of paint and a wash of burnt umber oil paint and 10 minutes dry brushing. I, according to Mig in his books, come under the art of 'realism' which I can relate too. The modern way of finishing is way above my head but I keep stealing little bits here and there, but it is still a form of art I can look at and enjoy. And let's see the M113 from you, mine was a scratchbuilt with the wheels from a 1/48 Centurion tank and using the drawings from the old profile series of books. And low and behold a month after I finished it Tamiya brought out theirs and I still beat them to the M577yes.

Steve Jones 12, Many thanks for the comment, all hatches will be open without figures to block your view, which reminds me I must start to attempt a figure or two.

Cheers to you both, I hope you continue to enjoy my build, Cheers, Mike.

Mike,

I'm glad to hear that you took my suggestion in the vein I intended. Too many years of writing military-style documents tends to make my writing rather stiff. I too, struggle with the recent "schools" of painting and "weathering." I am currently building the AFV Club M113A1 ACAV, but since it is a review build I can't run a build blog. After I finish and submit my review, I will publish some photos of the completed kit on this site.

Jeff

Sjors Greut19/10/2017 17:18:23
738 forum posts
236 photos

Great work already Mike!
Impressive building skills you have.

Sjors

Mike Cartmale19/10/2017 17:44:23
203 forum posts
208 photos

nathanyel

Many thanks for your comment.

Sjors

Thanks to you as well.

Jeff

I tend to waffle too much sometimes, too many years spent on my own in the military and as a truck driver.

The periscopes were not painted, I have a small supply of 35mm film and used pieces of that for the periscope glass, gloss side out. as there already was a base of dried CA, I used double sided tape to stick them, job done.

Cheers, Mike.

Mike Cartmale23/10/2017 16:20:42
203 forum posts
208 photos

Hi All,
Instead of putting multiple pics on here, I thought I would add just one, but make a collage of them. Just showing the stages of re-making the side toolbox racks from scratch using 1.5mm x 1.5mm 'L' and scrap strip from the etch runner. You may remember the disaster I put up for shoe earlier.
Cheers, Mike.soldering.jpg

Mike Cartmale23/10/2017 16:22:37
203 forum posts
208 photos

Hi All,
Side toolbox racks now installed and the rest of the side boxes also added.....side rack1a.jpgside rack1.jpg

Mike Cartmale23/10/2017 16:29:21
203 forum posts
208 photos

Hi All,
......Back to the interior, here you can make out the wiring looms that are in the front and go across the drivers area from the engine compartment to ??? I do not know where... But on one of the photos they do have a few wires leading to the lights under the centre drivers internal periscope. Apart from the exterior boxes/racks, the internal fuel tank and large tool cabinet, nothing is secure at the moment.
Thanks for looking..
Cheers, Mike.wiring1.jpg

Mike Cartmale24/10/2017 22:14:33
203 forum posts
208 photos

Hi All,
Decided to start work on the Ramp lock that fits across the top of the rear entry opening, still a few items to add such as the activating handle, nuts and bolts and the locking latches themselves.
And that is it for tonight, thanks for looking.
Cheers, Mike.ramp lock2.jpgramp lock1.jpg

Road of Bones24/10/2017 22:51:48
3501 forum posts
3101 photos

More spiffing work there Mike- looks like the locking mechanism actually works! nerd

Thoroughly enjoying watching all the details you’re cramming into this old boxthumbs up

Alistair kulou

Mike Cartmale25/10/2017 16:51:20
203 forum posts
208 photos

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for the comment, it is getting a bit busy in there, I will soon have to start drawing a line for finishing it.

Cheers, Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Hobbylink November 2
Kingkit
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
HLJ Oct
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest