Canvassing your opinion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Scottie16/10/2017 20:28:23
5598 forum posts
789 photos
1 articles

Andy,

​I echo every ones thanks for taking this on and doing a fine job of managing it. I also think that 4 months would be better. I look forward to seeing the choices soft skins would be good as I have one of these in my very limited stash i.e. 2 kits lol.

Scottie

David Hewkin16/10/2017 20:46:14
213 forum posts
347 photos

Andy,

I'll vote for 3 GB's too.

Definitely on for an RAF theme; like the idea of soft skins, OOB, and recon too.

David

John Ballard17/10/2017 02:16:12
3436 forum posts
1150 photos

Andy

The only problem with 3 GB's is that you will not be able to fit in a figure GB. The support has already manifested itself for vehicle or wingy thing GB's. Now I am not a frequent participant so my vote may not carry much weight.

If you want to go with 3 GB's how about broadening the themes to say something like, Italian campaign, pre 1900 artillery, and Cold war. These are just examples but each would allow plenty of variety and give everyone something to have a go at.

Personally I don't see OOB as a theme since it can fit into any subject that you might think of. Many of us tend to build mainly OOB anyway.

John

SimonT17/10/2017 03:06:56
11437 forum posts
9311 photos

Don't think I could bring myself to do OOB - there is always something to correct/add......

face 20

Marcello Tontodonati17/10/2017 06:04:19
269 forum posts
405 photos

Andy,
3 GB seems reasonable for me as welll. I agree with John B. comment. Maybe expanding the topics could potentially bring in more modellers and challenge ourselves in a (minefield) unexplored territories. Having said that I quite like the RAF 100 option though wink
Marcello

Tim Marlow17/10/2017 07:53:55
1244 forum posts
1018 photos

Hi all

Swimming against the tide here....

I think three months is fine if you are committed to the build. I think four months is too long for the following reason.... I may be wrong, but the pattern of postings during the lifetime of the group build seems like this; Initially loads of postings as the keenness is high. This drops off as the speed merchants finish quickly while slomos still need to open the box.....around the middle of a group build not much is posted, and then as the deadline comes up there is a rash of activity as the slomos make a push to get over the line. This pattern will not change if we lengthen the build period. Making them longer will simply extend the moribund middle period of the group build. We will then run the risk of the whole stalling through loss of interest during the middle period.

Cheers

Tim

PS, like the RAF idea, but like John, would like a little more creativity in at least one of the others....how about "Armistice" for the last third/quarter, for example.....

jimbo17/10/2017 08:57:04
13702 forum posts
2592 photos

John - could not a figure fit into other GBs. For example Mitches Models do figures which would fit an RAF GB.

Jim

Andy Claesens17/10/2017 09:35:35
10957 forum posts
9883 photos
16 articles

Chaps,

Thank you all for the lively debate. keep it coming and I will respond fully later on.

I will say one thing though, and hopefully this will reassure John and his fellow figure geniuses.

Figures will definitely fit in to the GBs even if it is not a dedicated figure GB. thumbs up

This year we have had, Small Scale, Anti Aircraft, Biplanes and now Engineering. As far as I am concerned figures would fit three out of four of them easily and in my opening preamble for their threads I have said that would be the case. In fact even in the preamble for Biplanes (here) I said figures would be welcome.

So Figure builders and painters, Don't be shy!teeth 2

More later

Andybeer

John Race17/10/2017 12:30:31
6150 forum posts
1310 photos

Don't think most of us had even thought of the figure painters, sorry guys.

John.

Lee Drennen17/10/2017 12:35:32
88 forum posts
85 photos

Guys this sound all great. I feel I haven't earned my stripes yet being I've only been here almost a year now I'm just going with the flow and what ever happens I will try to build carry on

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest