By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

MacTaggarts Catapult

Scratch building a Mactaggart Scott catapult for my Walrus.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

jimbo17/11/2017 12:08:21
13801 forum posts
2612 photos

Hi Richard

Those figures are coming on a treat. Modifying them at this scale must be a very fiddly job.

Jim

Paul Eberle17/11/2017 14:24:44
2524 forum posts
1631 photos

Small scale fig surgery is always a test. Yours came out great. PaulE

Fernando Nijhuis17/11/2017 17:54:12
640 forum posts
556 photos

Hi Richard,

Great job on the planks and very nice modification of the figs.smile p

They’ll add some life to the dio, keep up the great work.thumbs up

Fernando

Peter Gillson17/11/2017 18:25:25
879 forum posts
731 photos

Richard

Loverly work.

You figure enhancements are very nice. Many years ago I converted some 'soft' plastic figures and used the very thin entemology pins which insect collectors use to pin insects - they were the thinnest pins I could find.

Peter

Richard Foenander18/11/2017 09:26:31
3746 forum posts
4606 photos

Hi Thanks, appreciate the company and kind comments on this build which is something more than a trilogy I think.

First it was a wingy thing, then general modelling, moving onto figures and finally creating the diorama...and I only wanted to just do the Walrus.disgust But thanks to the encouragement I'm enjoying it.

Peter, if I had to iron the creases I'd die. Were the ribbons the tally that goes round the sailors cap?

Andrew, Glad you're around.

Jim, fiddly it is especially the vinyl Revell figures.

Paul, I'd prefer multiple question tests...hope I score high marks.

Fernando, you asked for it and I hope my delivery meets the mark.face 20

Peter, such hobbies such as insect collecting similar to stamp collecting died when we gained independance from the colonials so items like the pins you mentioned are hard to find. I use the thinnest gauge of guitar string and cut them to 3mm lengths to secure the limbs and head.

I finished the modifications and played around with the arrangements on the decking. It seems the planking scale suites 1/48 so I will have to halve it...this is before

cat0060.jpg

Before doing that I primed the figures and set them aside...these are made ready for priming

cat0061.jpg

cat0062.jpg

C&C welcomed.

Cheers,

Richard

Mike Cartmale18/11/2017 13:13:27
226 forum posts
225 photos

Richard,

That is a fantastic build, I have only just caught up to you. In an earlier post you mentioned priming the soft plastic figures. A model maker, John Sandars I believe used to build his figures from a combination of paper, Airfix Multi-pose and the soft polythene 1/32 scale figures as well as just about anything he could lay his hands on. I am sure that he used to prime his figures with white PVA glue as the base and then work from there, if you have not started try to look up some of his work, Almarks Modelworld was one magazine I know featured his work.. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Mike.

Mike Mortimore18/11/2017 13:36:49
1214 forum posts
1039 photos

Hi Richard,

Just played catch up here Richard...... wow, Really impressed with this Richard.. Will watch this with great interest.

Cheers Mike dogdogdogcat

John Race18/11/2017 21:24:47
6321 forum posts
1336 photos

Is there no end to your skills Richard, looking better each time you post , I'm still enjoying looking at the splendid planking .Of course anything in wood is like a magnet to me. teeth 2

John .

Richard Foenander19/11/2017 01:43:43
3746 forum posts
4606 photos

Hey there two Mike's and one John...I have only one way to say this, a big thank you.

John, wood is your fav so you will be drawn to the corrections I made to the scale size shortly.

Mike M, you're not too late, the figgies are still naked. Were there any Royal Marines attached to any WW2 Cruisers? Might just add another figure to break the number 13.

Mike C, very interesting...I may have stumbled upon his builds when in primary school. Takes me back to the same time I made my own vehicles out of paper card and rattan. Money was scarce and I could only afford an Airfix Sherman (which I reference for scale) with my pocket money and my troops needed a personnel carrier so I fashioned something of a cross between a Kangaroo and an M113 with an open top. My base was a Gillette razor dispensor...something like this...

gillette dispensor1.jpg

...slapped on three straight sides and a slanted front, cut rattan (only substitute for dowels around the house) for bogey wheels and held them together with cardboard tracks. This was also my introduction to the UHU type glue but they were some Chinese Panda brand. Brush painted with the Pactra paints I had compliments from my uncle.

Perhaps that was where I got my first hand in scratch building. Built my first waterline ships from carved polystyrene because they floated and they were my white Navy 'cos I couldn't find paint that could stick to it without dissolving it at the time.embarrassed ...Wow the memories...I only restarted scratch building only recently.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard Foenander19/11/2017 01:57:40
3746 forum posts
4606 photos

Hi John, here's the woodwork planking rescribed...

cat0063.jpg

And for Mike C, the figgies are already completed and primed. Will have to redo the third from top left guy as his head and cap is a little odd. Working with vinyl figs is not easy to clean up and suffer from a lot of seam lines that have to be sliced off rather than scrapped with a new sharp blade.

cat0064.jpg

The officers caps need their front tips made less pointy and upturned.

Cheers,

Richard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ December
Hobbylink November 2
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest