By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

MacTaggarts Catapult

Scratch building a Mactaggart Scott catapult for my Walrus.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Marcello Tontodonati19/10/2017 05:41:52
269 forum posts
405 photos

Richard,
arriving late with this one, but already astonished by your bravery and ability
Bookmarked to follow along
Marcello

Paul Middleton 419/10/2017 06:59:29
81 forum posts

Hi Richard,

You are exhibiting excellent skills on a fascinating project. More power to your elbow as you progress with this. Have you thought about how to display the whole unit? I was going to suggest making it into a boxed diorama with the ship's superstructure each side and deck below, but this might lead you into building the rest of the cruiser! (It's a thought....)

Out of interest, Gary Wenko of Cambridge MAFVA built a catapult for for the diorama we built for the Muckleburgh collection. This diorama is a telescoped presentation of the Artillery training camp @ 1944, when Queen Bee (R/C Tiger Moths) target aircraft were launched from the camp. See:

http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/ Home page centre.

Also on the Cambridge MAFVA Facebook page (somewhere!) https://en-gb.facebook.com/Cambridge-MAFVA-133003563389515/

I look forward to seeing your catapult progress. Well done! Last time I did anything that intricate was a Bailey Bridge in 1/76th from Modelworld magazine plans by A.J. North with candle grease rubbed over the page, but that was back in the 1970's!

Paul M.

Richard Foenander19/10/2017 07:03:16
3692 forum posts
4577 photos

Thanks for looking in Simon and Marcello,

Simon, MacTaggart catapults did get a lot of planes into the sky and was the eye of the fleet before radar came into play...does sound like a book of a mischievious boy.teeth 2

Yes lots of photos in the ship galleries in Seawings. Plans and photos show no ‘I’ bracings but a lot of '[' and 'L' angle bracings and shown very clearly on the PDF plans. The angular bracings can be made out as they are clipped at a slant at the ends. Anyway I'm not going for full accuracy and wished the plans were more simplified...tend to do what is shown.

Good thing is I don't have to measure and calculate as I've scaled the plans, 4 pages and just match the part. Thank goodness the Evergreen material sizes almost matches the frames minus or plus 2-3mm actual scale.

Marcello, hope that gluing straight angle iron won't bore you. The structure reminds me of the construction cranes on skyscrapers.

Ok some progress...

cat008.jpg

Glued on the dome end, fitted the hatch.

cat009.jpg

The parts will look more solid with a coat of primer. Not attaching the connecting bracings until the main frame is done.

Cheers,

Richard

Robin Buckland19/10/2017 07:25:21
15506 forum posts
56527 photos
5253 articles

Hi Richard,

I'm a bit late in on this one but a super project and it looks like you are off to a good neat start. Great way of displaying the Walrus, and I look forward to following along with this one. thumbs up

Robin smile

jimbo19/10/2017 08:10:51
13702 forum posts
2592 photos

Hi Richard

A big undertaking.Having the plans scaled to size must be a great help. Most interesting to see this progress.

Jim

Richard Foenander19/10/2017 18:52:40
3692 forum posts
4577 photos

Hi Paul, crossed posts earlier. Thanks for the link. I got to see it and Gary's done quite a good job of it...is this it? What scale is it?

10397814_850238574999340_9006812494656350526_n.jpg

I'm guessing that it's a simulator therefore he has left off both the extentions which are pulled out for launch.

Your idea on the box dio is good but I'm only doing a cut away section of the deck. I'm hoping to add as much figures preparing for the launch.

Robin, nice to have you along on this build. No worries I've just started.

Jim, yes my most adventurous and hope to do a good job of it.

I've done a master for the cable wheel...not perfect but it'll do...

cat0013.jpg

Imagine I was going to do 20 of these individually...crazy.

Cheers,

Richard

John Race19/10/2017 21:54:00
6150 forum posts
1310 photos

Nice Richard when the guys join in with some photos.... Paul thumbs up

Your attention to detail is brilliant, I have to remind myself that this is 1/72.

John.

Richard Foenander20/10/2017 15:23:23
3692 forum posts
4577 photos

Hi John, thanks...I remind myself, don't do another 1/72 like this.face 20

With the master I knocked out 20 of the castings with my low tech one side mold. Sang the Hawaiian song tiny bubbles everytime I pop one out from the mold.face 16 Cyno'd the bigger pin bubbles...

cat0014.jpg

Thank goodness I got this out of the way...a full 4 hours of work but better than measuring and drilling 9 holes per wheel. The bottom centre wheel didn't set so it flexes.

Now to assemble and prime them.

Cheers,

Richard

Steve Jones 1221/10/2017 16:27:06
3461 forum posts
8720 photos

Richard

Scratch building at its very bestyes.A joy to watch. Well done sir

Steve

Paul Eberle21/10/2017 17:01:57
2504 forum posts
1621 photos

Very, very cool project. Will look great when complete. PaulE

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest