By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Miniart 1/16 Praetorian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Allen Dewire18/10/2017 21:28:32
1347 forum posts
954 photos

Hi Peter,

I am in on this one too. I am a little perplexed on the Roman Subject and the difference between the 1st and 2nd century figures. I understand the shields being different. I don't know what a Pilum is and that the armor was about the same throughout. So far, so good, but...

It appears to me that another difference was in the car wash brushes on their helmets. Some appear larger than others and some are attached at the front and the back of the helmet. We're some Romans relegated to washing the chariots with the smaller head brushes? and what about those with the larger brushes?

It's also nice that you don't have a problem with your V's and G's with this kit. The build should go smooth and your painting skills will once again shine!!! Curious to see how you paint the armor too.

Prost

Allen

Peter Day 118/10/2017 21:52:21
5741 forum posts
1413 photos

John - MINIART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim - I could easily mess it up.

Allen - It's a minefield. The Lorica Segmenta armour depicted here appeared at the end of the 1st century, and the curved oblong shields in the 2nd. For most of the 1st and previous century legionaries wore chain mail, which I would have preferred Miniart to depict. A pilum is a weighted javelin as sported by the man in my first version. Those with larger helmet brushes cleaned chimneys.

Peter.

Peter Day 119/10/2017 14:38:33
5741 forum posts
1413 photos

Afternoon all

All cleaned up, partially assembled and ready for painting:

001.jpg002.jpg

This went pretty much as expected. The fit wasn't too bad, though there was quite a lot of sanding required to smooth the joins and remove the mould marks. I also had to add the scabbard (v****a) at this stage in order to connect the straps ends. Miniart provide six medallions to decorate the shoulder armour, but as they were poorly done, and mainly consisted of flash anyway, I swapped them for a single pair from the spares box.

The helmet is well done and went together with no problem. I decided to use a spare head instead of the kit one, in this case by Dog Tag, which I'd lobotomized in it's previous life. The kit head isn't too bad (a dead ringer for Sid James), but it does look a little to rough and weather beaten.

Peter.

Sjors Greut19/10/2017 17:21:17
730 forum posts
233 photos

Peter,

Another fine figure in the making.
Nice job on the cleanup!

Sjors

Peter Day 120/10/2017 13:15:09
5741 forum posts
1413 photos

Sorry Sjors, didn't see you there. Working on the head today - OK so far......

Peter.

John Race20/10/2017 14:08:37
6150 forum posts
1310 photos

Yes agree with Sjors Peter, its looking finethumbs up

John.

Peter Day 120/10/2017 15:37:02
5741 forum posts
1413 photos

Many thanks John.

The head's done:

006.jpg

The face painting went OK. I do like these Dog Tag character heads (I think this one was done by Calvin Tan) - they have well defined features and a very smooth finish, which always helps.

I painted the helmet by dry-brushing on successively lighter coats of gunmetal (mixed from Matt Black and Silver) over a base coat of Matt Black. The decoration was picked out in Old Gold, then the shadows and lines were re-stated with thinned black. I was pretty disappointed with the finish though - I do find that the finer detail on some of these Miniart figures is not as well defined as it first appears. I gave it a coat of dark mahogany antiquing wax to tone done some of the contrast and it does look slightly better, but ......

Anyway,it will have to do.

Peter.

Andrew Belsey 220/10/2017 16:28:11
1839 forum posts
1075 photos

"It will have to do" - very nicely!!!

Andy B

Scottie20/10/2017 19:50:07
5598 forum posts
789 photos
1 articles

Peter,

​Off to your normal great start.

Scottie

Peter Day 121/10/2017 15:17:52
5741 forum posts
1413 photos

Thanks Andy and Scottie.

The next stage complete:

003.jpg

For some strange reason I've decided on a blue and white colour scheme, so the tunic took quite a while to get right (the shield and scabbards will be in blue).. The cuirass was painted using the same method as the helmet, though I also used some graphite powder to even out the tones.

I decided on a darkish, unpolished tone for the armour, as I wanted our man to look as though he was in the field with the Emperor (perhaps in the forests of Germany?). I doubt that the Praetorians would have worn full armour for palace guard duties.

Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest