By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

82nd Airborne at Ponte Dirillo

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Race31/10/2017 15:53:34
6150 forum posts
1310 photos

Nice start, looking fwd to seeing the trees, so many ways to build Kevin, I loved the twisted wire, covered mine in latex then painted.

Went on to use hairspray and spray adhesive to hold on the leaves on top of moss.

img_0936m6.jpg

img_0951g1.jpg

The latex alloys you to move branches about before the final fixing of the leaves. HTH .

John.

John Race31/10/2017 15:53:35
6150 forum posts
1310 photos

Nice start, looking fwd to seeing the trees, so many ways to build Kevin, I loved the twisted wire, covered mine in latex then painted.

Went on to use hairspray and spray adhesive to hold on the leaves on top of moss.

img_0936m6.jpg

img_0951g1.jpg

The latex alloys you to move branches about before the final fixing of the leaves. HTH .

John.

John Race31/10/2017 17:40:22
6150 forum posts
1310 photos

Mmmm Sorry double post , Andy or another Mod please remove

John.

Kevin Cole 131/10/2017 20:45:21
81 forum posts
28 photos

Very nice trees!

The scene in question only has a few small trees, but they make a great view block. The hill at one end blocks the viewer from the end of the road, and a few trees at the opposite end of the scene will mask the other end of the road.

It's all about illusion, as I've learned from many years reading model railroading articles. Tricking the viewer into focusing on what you want, not what detracts from the realism.

Hopefully I can pull it off.

Scottie31/10/2017 20:49:39
5598 forum posts
789 photos
1 articles

John.

very nice trees indeed very natural looking.

Scottie

Daniel Horvath11/11/2017 07:42:46
99 forum posts
271 photos

Hi Kevin idea sounds amazing! Looking forward to seeing the completed scene! Good luck with the build! I see you get corrected regarding the panther just like myself! Good thing that on this site is people with more knowledge then us . So we can keep accuracy! Cant wait to see mores pictures of your progress. Regards Danny

Kevin Cole 111/11/2017 17:23:11
81 forum posts
28 photos

Thanks!

Going has been slow, onset of colder weather has induced complications, and the issue of how to represent what looks like a concrete road surface has still not been resolved. I think just plaster will do if I can get it smooth enough.

I reworked the hillside and widened the road, primed the models, now waiting on some Vallejo paints since the Tamiyas are far too runny for brush work, and I really don't want to go back to the remnants of Testors enamels I have had for eons. My bottle of gunmetal had hardened up, and the Tamiya just basically ran off the surface.

The walls on either side of the road will be cut blocks of soapstone. Rectangular section soapstones are used by welders for marking steel, there are also round section soapstones, but we have a large box of the rectangular ones at work, so they are really cheap. Hopefully they will stick together well enough with a dab of CA between each block.

For a straight run I will just score them to represent individual blocks, but there will have to be two curved walls as well.

I hope they will take primer and paint well enough, or maybe a wash will do.

Edited By Kevin Cole 1 on 11/11/2017 17:24:34

Kevin Cole 115/11/2017 01:53:04
81 forum posts
28 photos

After a couple more light coats of plaster I carved out a recess for the pillbox on the hill, which will be modeled using a slice of 2" PVC plumbing pipe and a roof molded with silicon. The road is now awaiting a final wet sand, and will likely be scribed to represent poured concrete.

Nothing really to photograph, as it's all white still and looks quite bland.

I don't want to rush it and not be reasonably happy with the results.

The quote about action only taking place when the fear of doing nothing overcomes the fear of doing something very badly is very apt! Hopefully this gets easier the further I get. dont know

Looking forward to getting some color on the plaster and starting some landscaping. Trees and crops should be fun.

Kevin Cole 118/11/2017 22:02:42
81 forum posts
28 photos

A little progress: now some Vallejo acrylics for brush painting have arrived, I've got on with completing the vehicles.

To the left, the kitties have finally got their wheels on. I suppose you get used to it after a couple of builds, but man, those Tiggers have a lot of wheels!

I'll be using a piece of pvc plumbing pipe as a basis for the pillbox, with a steel frost plug to form the roof. I just have to fix down the roof and blend it all together.

Cutting the apertures will be interesting, to say the least.

Here's the subject:

For discussion purposes only.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
Parabellum
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
Hobbylink November 2
Expo Tools July 14
HLJ Oct
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest