By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

filling shallow mold marks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
joe smith05/12/2017 02:16:31
18 forum posts

I read that filling sink holes & molding marks could be done with "liquid paper" (correction fluid?).

has anyone used this material with success?

thanks

John Race05/12/2017 08:26:46
6321 forum posts
1336 photos

Morning Joe.

Not tried that..... Yet...smiley , but if anyone knows  they will be along  soon , so stand by ! 

John 

Jon Arnold05/12/2017 10:13:59
1333 forum posts
88 photos

I've heard of the technique, but used so last century/millenium when there weren't many options & the ingredients had some 'bite' wink.

The modern stuff may not have the 'etching' ability, (if it dont 'niff, then not?), but it's cheap enough, so give it a go on a non-visible bit, & try sanding it.

I would score/scratch/deepen the sink-holes & knock-out pin marks, to give your filler something to grip to.

More choices would be Mr Surfacer 500 (cellulose 'niff, bites the surface, can be carefully smoothed wet with cellulose, sandable)

Or Deluxe Materiels Perfect Plastic Putty Youtube tutorial just about the best modelling filler i've found.

Comparitive review of others here as well

There are other fillers Holts Knifing putty from Halfords is another I use.

Vallejo do one, but might just be me, but I don't get on with it.

Alan Mckenzie05/12/2017 22:14:13
3040 forum posts
25 photos

Hi

Yes, I've heard of modellers using Tippex etc to fill holes. It's big advantage is quick drying.

Another method I've heard of but not used is superglue and talcum powder. A drop of superglue in the mould push out depression, topped off with sprinkling of talc. Brush off excess when dry, then sand down to finish.

Alan

joe smith05/12/2017 22:51:17
18 forum posts

appreciate the feedback. always looking for the easy way 'round I am!

Andy Claesens07/12/2017 16:21:42
10964 forum posts
9883 photos
16 articles

Hi Joe,

I am a big fan of Tip-pex as a filling medium for small areas & joins. I have used it several times with pleasing results.

BMD-1P pre-primer (3)

Stage 4 - Correcting the fit  (4).JPG

The only thing I would say is that like any other medium you've not worked with before, it can take a couple of attempts to get comfortable using it.

My main advice would be exactly the same as paint, a couple of thin coats rather than one big thick one.

I've heard of the superglue /talc combination giving good results as well but not used it myself yet.

Hope that helps.

Andybeer

Kevin Cole 107/12/2017 16:29:12
125 forum posts
34 photos

Baking soda can be used with CA as well, but it's very hard to sand when cured, and will be much harder than the surrounding plastic.

Dave S 407/12/2017 17:21:10
412 forum posts
59 photos

Well, I'll be damned... you learn something every day.

Thanks for flagging this up.

DS

joe smith07/12/2017 23:14:05
18 forum posts

yes; i'm going to give this a shot. thanks

Simon Hammerton08/12/2017 08:01:54
6488 forum posts
404 photos
2 articles

Correction fluid works very well, although I find it clogs files rather quickly when cleaning up. But as an emergency measure it has a lot going for it.

As I work for Deluxe Materials I'm obviously going to plump for Perfect Plastic Putty, but even if I didn't I would recommend it because it works for the vast majority of the jobs we find when modelling.

Vallejo produce a very similar putty which works well, but it's not as widely available and the tube is not as good value for money.

Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ December
Hobbylink November 2
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest