By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FLOCK vs STATIC GRASS for 1/35 ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lewis Mrotzek06/12/2017 20:05:12
57 forum posts
37 photos

Gents,

I’m starting a spring Dio, for the holidays, and I’m currently gathering supplies and literature for the build.I'm stuck between static grass and or flock,while my last option, which I feel is the most realistic option is one of MIGS grass mats, they look beautiful, but are quite expensive in the long run. I’d like to make itself while achieving a realistic look in 1/35 scale. Any suggestions?

Lewis

Lewis Mrotzek06/12/2017 20:13:20
57 forum posts
37 photos

Maybe a suggested length for static grass in 1/35? 3mm 6mm...

Kevin Cole 106/12/2017 21:26:35
125 forum posts
34 photos

I've seen that 8mm is also available.

Cutting tufts from a large brush and manually placing into a ground fixing medium (glue/PVA) is a common technique for tall grass, though certainly more tedious, but much more cost effective.

Edited By Kevin Cole 1 on 06/12/2017 21:27:15

Mike Cartmale06/12/2017 22:02:34
226 forum posts
225 photos

Hi Lewis,
This is my version with static grass, I made up a mix of spring, summer and fall 12mm grass from Noch I think is the company model railway grass, sprinkled on from a shake bottle (creates static) onto white glue.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Mike.20150801_124738.jpg

Kimmo Happonen06/12/2017 22:40:03
457 forum posts
420 photos

Definitely static grass, flock is better used as moss, weeds, clover etc and undergrowth. If you do the old sprinkle on wet glue technique, try vacuuming the excess off. I made a small mesh cap that fits over the vacuum hose that helps. It doesn't generate as much static as one of those proper applicators, but it does help. Shake off the excess first, then run the vacuum at its lowest setting to avoid having the thing stick to your groundwork. Repeat as needed. 4-6 mm is good for most applications, remember that 4 mm in 1/35 scale is actually 14 cm in real life, or roughly shin height. Varying the heights and colours adds a bit of realism and makes things look less uniform.

Kimmo

Kevin Cole 106/12/2017 23:09:08
125 forum posts
34 photos

WWScenics is another supplier, cheaper than most, and in the UK if that helps:

http://www.war-world.co.uk/

John Race07/12/2017 11:40:05
6321 forum posts
1336 photos

Hi Lewis.

I use a WW Scenics box for mine , buying in grass mixes.

img_1046gb1.jpg

img_1058gb10.jpg

img_1063gb15.jpg

wp_20160731_002.jpg

wp_20160731_005.jpg

I had planned to do a SBS on that grass box, a great piece of kit.

I have no connection with WW Scenics just a happy customer.

John.

Peter Gillson07/12/2017 20:43:28
879 forum posts
731 photos

Hi Lewis

In 1/35 I would go for Static Grass everytime.

I made my own little tool which generates a static charge which makes the grass stand on end rather than flat, which I think makes all of the difference.

Here is a link to a video showing how to make one very similar to the one I made a few years ago; **LINK**

it is well worth the effort of making one.

Peter

jimbo08/12/2017 09:31:51
13801 forum posts
2612 photos

Hi Lewis

Static grass every time for 1/35. As Kimmo says 4mm grass scales to 14cm at 1/35 so about OK for a field. You can layer in 6mm for rougher areas.

I bought a 'tea strainer/fly killer' applicator from eBay dead cheap a while ago - a waste of money crying 2 I have just ordered a proper static grass applicator from WW Scenics (as recommended by John and Kevin). Certainly not cheap but it will work. *HERE*

There are a few good YouTube videos showing how to make your own and with a bit of skill and patience you could make a good piece of kit very cheaply - Peter has done it wink 2

Jim

Tim Marlow08/12/2017 17:34:49
1263 forum posts
1018 photos

Hi Lewis

Another vote for static grass. I find the teastrainer applicator ok for small areas (made my own, it's blogged on here somewhere) but the plate type as shown by John are great from what I've seen demonstrated, and are about 35 on amazon. That is only about six packs of tufts so it will pay for itself really quickly....must get one 😉

Cheers

Tim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Military Modelling? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Military Modelling! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Military Modelling? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Are you a Facebook fan of Military Modelling?

Support Our Partners
The Airbrush Co Ltd (2)
HLJ December
Hobbylink November 2
Expo Tools July 14
Parabellum
Kingkit
Hobbybunker
Shopping Partners
Digital Back Issues

Military Modelling Digital Back Issues

Feature Articles
Features
Photo and Build Features from our Military Modelling Magazine website members and contributors including lots of pages of articles from previous Military Modelling magazines.
Military Modelling Offers
3 Issues for 3 New web app for ipad
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest